Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Derelict Ships to be removed

• 25-02-2010 9:49am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭

At long last the derelict ships moored near Bilberry are to be removed:D

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2010/0225/1224265140696.html

Derelict ships to be taken from Waterford

A number of derelict ships described as an eyesore in Waterford port for several years are to be removed within the next three months, the High Court was told yesterday.

Gary McCarthy, counsel for the Port of Waterford Company, said it had reached a settlement of proceedings against the owner of four ships moored at Bilberry Quay under which the vessels were to be removed. Mr McCarthy earlier described the four vessels as “dilapidated and derelict”. It was claimed the vessels, located just 1.5km from Waterford city centre in Waterford port, itself a special area of conservation, constituted a real danger to the environment, including the release of pollutants.

Under yesterday’s settlement, announced to Mr Justice Roderick Murphy, four vessels named the Elizabeth O, the Seal Sand, Duncannon Hulk, and the EKO are to be removed within 12 weeks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 blackstufflad

Yes very good news ,couldnt see why you would want to keep them there in first place, must be some up keep. Probably worth more as scrap. Now all that is needed is that the buildings on the other side of the river are demolised and the area made good for the arrival of the tall ships in a couple of years. If it is not going to be built on then a marina would be nice or a large aquairium as an attraction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭itsonlywords

Bards wrote: »
    At long last the derelict ships moored near Bilberry are to be removed:D

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2010/0225/1224265140696.html

Derelict ships to be taken from Waterford

A number of derelict ships described as an eyesore in Waterford port for several years are to be removed within the next three months, the High Court was told yesterday.

Gary McCarthy, counsel for the Port of Waterford Company, said it had reached a settlement of proceedings against the owner of four ships moored at Bilberry Quay under which the vessels were to be removed. Mr McCarthy earlier described the four vessels as “dilapidated and derelict”. It was claimed the vessels, located just 1.5km from Waterford city centre in Waterford port, itself a special area of conservation, constituted a real danger to the environment, including the release of pollutants.

Under yesterday’s settlement, announced to Mr Justice Roderick Murphy, four vessels named the Elizabeth O, the Seal Sand, Duncannon Hulk, and the EKO are to be removed within 12 weeks.
    Pity the city council were not as detremined to have the old Ironfoundry removed as this is a greater source of pollution and is a bigger eyesore. Maybe the council have friends there and the Hanlons were not?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Pity the city council were not as detremined to have the old Ironfoundry removed as this is a greater source of pollution and is a bigger eyesore. Maybe the council have friends there and the Hanlons were not?

Yeah they should have added it to the list alright, its a bigger issue imho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Wasn't there also a plan to remove the power lines and those awful Siberian-looking pylons? I seem to remember someone posting to say that the cables were going to be put through ducts running across the Suir Bridge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'll miss them lurking in the winter mists....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,638 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Will the train tracks and the carage ever be removed from bilberry. Cant get ride of the goats because theyd get mad lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

fricatus wrote: »
    Wasn't there also a plan to remove the power lines and those awful Siberian-looking pylons? I seem to remember someone posting to say that the cables were going to be put through ducts running across the Suir Bridge.

Is that the name of the new bridge?

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Black Dog

There is another old boat left derelict beside the red iron bridge - any talks or removing that one?

The old carriage has been removed, some time ago, from the start of the Kilmeadan track at Bilberry though there are still some old stairways still dumped there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

does anyone know where they will be moved to?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭jo06555

those buildings over on docks are right eye sore , i cannot see anything bein done with them before tallships , i cant imagine them gone either , it would open up the whole city and river coming from ferrybank into the city , is that a good thing or bad thing i dont know. Their would have to be something else put their in place of them i think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Black Dog

There had been plans to develop both the Foundry site and that on the docks in Ferrybank but I think such development is very unlikely in the near future given the current economic decline.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

I tried to get into them boths years ago. Was on the wall and all, big feck off alsation came along, well jaysus I was running before I landed on the ground I tell ya.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

seanybiker wrote: »
    I tried to get into them boths years ago. Was on the wall and all, big feck off alsation came along, well jaysus I was running before I landed on the ground I tell ya.

I believe there's two big dogs in and around that area, place looks interesting but I wouldn't risk it with the dogs :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭19.5V

Are the ships really an eyesore? Do we sanitise to much? Do we sanitise the wrong things?

19.5V wrote: »
    Are the ships really an eyesore? Do we sanitise to much? Do we sanitise the wrong things?

They are and they are also a enviromental risk, leaking oil into the river etc

Is it a fact that there is oil leaking from them?

A walk along the New Ross rail tracks you will see pollution on a extremely destructive scale, thousands of plastic containers, furniture and household waste washed up on the river bank, I don’t think that I would be too far off the mark by saying that there would be a ton of waste every 10 to 30 meters along some parts of the river. However if there is oil leaking from these ships then that also needs to be taken care of, there isn’t much left in Waterford to remind us of our maritime past, that is why I would be reluctant to remove the ships, a bit like an elephants graveyard i suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

Duncannon Hulk, what a great name

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

Duncannon Hulk, what a great name

So true. The Captain of that ship was terrible though, he never quite understood the concept of fishing. :D
    hulkfish.jpg

Is it a fact that there is oil leaking from them?

Can you prove otherwise?, if they are just rusting and perhaps leaking oil then what benefit is it to people and the enviroment to leave them where they are?
    A walk along the New Ross rail tracks you will see pollution on a extremely destructive scale, thousands of plastic containers, furniture and household waste washed up on the river bank, I don’t think that I would be too far off the mark by saying that there would be a ton of waste every 10 to 30 meters along some parts of the river.

Thats a seperate subject, if it bothers you that much I would strongly suggest reporting it and keep on reporting it till its cleaned up

there isn’t much left in Waterford to remind us of our maritime past, that is why I would be reluctant to remove the ships, a bit like an elephants graveyard i suppose.

Leaving a bunch of ships rusking away to nothing is hardly a good tourist attraction, if however they want to clean them up and paint them to remind people of the maritime past them I think that would be a great idea.

It was you who stated that the boats were leaking Oil, I asked you if that is fact.
    Its interesting how the opposite side of the world view a similar issue

http://www.environment.sa.gov.au/heritage/ships_graveyards/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Duncannon_Hulk

Cabaal wrote: »
    They are and they are also a environmental risk, leaking oil into the river etc?
    Cabaal wrote: »
    Can you prove otherwise?, if they are just rusting and perhaps leaking oil then what benefit is it to people and the enviroment to leave them where they are?

Mr Somers what is your background in marine and environmental engineering to be able to make such a broad and potentially damaging statement?

Mr Somers what is your background in marine and environmental engineering to be able to make such a broad and potentially damaging statement?

Re-reging just to use my name...why not use your exisiting account?
    :rolleyes:

Port of Waterford Company state that that the ships themselfs are "“dilapidated and derelict”." and " constituted a real danger to the environment, including the release of pollutants."

Unless somebody wants to raise the money to clean them up then what benefits do they bring to the area?

Want to outline your source for the fact that these specific ships don't pose a problem or issue?

Its fine and well trying to compare them to some ships in Austriala or somewhere but ships out at sea when compared to ships still within the city limits (Waterford in this case) are not the same thing.

To simply leave them where they are could limit any attempts to clean up that area in the long term.

If people want to clean up that specific area then the ships either need to be removed or cleaned up and the foundry area cleaned up also, unless you want to start raising the money to secure and clean them against any enviromental issues then you don't have much of a leg to stand on.

Leaving ships as wrecks are can work in some instances and can have some benefits but there's nothing to show that any material that could be damaging to the enviroment has been removed from all 4 ships, this would appear to be the basis for the Port of Waterford Company wanting them removed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

It's fantastic that those piles of rusting junk are to be moved. Horrid looking as you approach on the train. It might lead to a clean up on the Stanley site now.

I like them.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭IanVW

me 2:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Dum_Dum

Yeah, they're really nice if you're into the nuclear winter look.

Anyone got photos to post on the offending ships?

Dum_Dum wrote: »

thats exactly what I like. Keep them there. They doing no harm. Its better than nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭jayboi

Dum_Dum wrote: »

I get a nice Craggy Island feeling when i go past myself.

To be fair if coming right off the bridge that whole part of town is shocking.
    The railings there are unbelievable are they to be sorted with this whole flood relief scheme?
    I’d like to see the halting site their moved a somewhere else as well its nothing personal though.

• Advertisement

Mr Martin O’Hanlon, chief executive officer of Fastnet Shipping Ltd, who has an interest in the yard at Bilberry, said he was ‘delighted’ at the outcome and the settlement. He said his company had won the contract to remove the vessels and they were in the process of commencing that operation at present. Mr O’Hanlon pointed out that while the vessels might look derelict they were, in fact, quite solid with sound hulls and, technically, they were not derelict and they had never been a source of pollution.

quote taken from the munster express online version

Advertisement