Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone know a good guidebook, trail book for Wicklow???

Options
  • 25-02-2010 10:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭

Hi All,

I am looking to clock up hikes around Wicklow and am wondering does anyone know of a good guidebook that would list different hikes around Wicklow.

I was told by someone to try and pick up David Herman Hillwalking Wicklow but i can not find this book anywhere.

Any ideas would be much appreciated????, :)

Thanks,

Stephen

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

ste2006 wrote: »
    I was told by someone to try and pick up David Herman Hillwalking Wicklow but i can not find this book anywhere.
    That's certainly the one to go for.

I have a copy but bought it ages ago, and I know from other posts here in recent times that it seems to be difficult to get hold of and is probably out of print. If it helps in anyway in the search, the ISBN is 0953143317.

P.S. The books are published by Shanksmare Publications, which is presumably just a one-man company set up by David himself, which has a website, albeit one that hasn't been updated since 1998 !!! http://homepage.eircom.net/~shanksmare/ There's even an email address on there, which you could try, although I'd not hold out too much hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭ste2006

Thanks for that,

Any other books that anybody might recommend???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

Joss Lynam does a couple of excellent books - easy walks near dublin / leisure walks near dublin. They have good maps for each walk. Most of the walks are about 2 hours duration but many of them are near enough to each other and can be combined into longer day walks. Both books are widely available. Covers walks as far north as the boyne and as far west as robertstown, but the bulk of the walks are in dublin/wicklow.

Thanks for that,

To be honest i am looking for tougher walks higher up in the mountains but thanks for the recommendation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

If you take a look in some of the outdoor shops some of them will have a book section and you might pick something up there I know on occasion I have seen some hiking guide books there before, but can't remember the names.

Also I checked and Dave Herman's book is available through the library, while not as good as having your own copy could still be useful. Just search on borrowbooks.ie to see which branches have it, and they can transfer it to your local library anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,499 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Take a look around the threads on here plenty of route suggestions. Buy a map of Wicklow (OSI sheet 56) and looks for routes that can be done from carparks or railway or bus. I generally find this the best way to pick more challenging routes as they will be more off track. don't just stick to the marked routes, there's plenty more out there

Ill have a look at the library books thanks,

Yes Cookie Monster you are probably right, I want to practise Nav also so choosing my own routes is probably a good idea,

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭eoinkildare

joss lynam also has a book caled "best irish walks" which has a good few walks around wicklow. they range from 1 hour up to about 7 or 8 hours and have good circuits to and from parking possible areas. you could easily add in your own variations as well. its 12euro in easons.
    gives you an estimated time, the walk distance and the total ascent involved.

Advertisement