Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overhaul on laptop?

• 25-02-2010 10:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

Hi,

I have a laptop that's about 6 years old. I find its very slow to launch internet explorer and other applications. I think it needs an overhaul. There's probably programs on it that I dont need and it probably needs a general clean-up etc. Can anyone recommend anywhere to bring it in Waterford City and how much will it cost?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Drop Sully a PM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 711 ✭✭✭snuggles09

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,780 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Run http://www.ccleaner.com/ no need to pay anyone. :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

JPA wrote: »
    Run http://www.ccleaner.com/ no need to pay anyone. :)

A registry cleaner wont fix half of the problems the OP is probably encountering though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

There's no point paying anyone to look at it. At 6 years old the laptop owes you nothing and you could save towards a new laptop with the 50 - 100 euro it would cost someone to look at it minimum. Laptops can be picked up for around 400 - 500 euro these days so dont waste money getting it looked at.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

stick-dan wrote: »
    There's no point paying anyone to look at it. At 6 years old the laptop owes you nothing and you could save towards a new laptop with the 50 - 100 euro it would cost someone to look at it minimum. Laptops can be picked up for around 400 - 500 euro these days so dont waste money getting it looked at.

Agreed. Only thing you would possibly need is the old files moved onto a new laptop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,780 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Sully wrote: »
    A registry cleaner wont fix half of the problems the OP is probably encountering though.

Registry cleaner is only one part of CCleaner. But the OP is likely not comfortable using and installing a program like that. Sorry for assuming if wrong!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

back up all your files. re-install windows. laptop will run faster. you'll need to re-install some programmes again though.

do not pay anyone to look at it. surely you have a friend with a half decent knowledge of computers to have a look at it for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Keea

Thanks for all your replies. You are right in assuming I wouldn't feel comfortable doing it myself. I'll have to see if someone can do it for me. I'm familiarish with computers but not that familiar !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭deisemum

stick-dan wrote: »

Soundstore have an ad for laptops at the moments, from €399 for 2GB Lenovo up to €799 for a hp 4GB one.

I know nothing about laptops but I'm looking to get 2 for my boys and I'm so confused at this stage between the different type processors, brands etc. Sales assistant said it's important to buy their 5 year warranty as battery packs don't last etc (not in Soundstore). My lads are paying for their own laptops so I'd prefer get something reasonable.

• Advertisement

deisemum wrote: »
    Soundstore have an ad for laptops at the moments, from €399 for 2GB Lenovo up to €799 for a hp 4GB one.

I know nothing about laptops but I'm looking to get 2 for my boys and I'm so confused at this stage between the different type processors, brands etc. Sales assistant said it's important to buy their 5 year warranty as battery packs don't last etc (not in Soundstore). My lads are paying for their own laptops so I'd prefer get something reasonable.

If you need advise, feel free to get in touch over PM. No charge or anything, dont worry. :)

Otherwise, can we keep to the topic here? Cheers!

Advertisement