Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Night time barking

Options
  • 25-02-2010 10:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭

My two dogs sleep out in the garden, this hasnt' been a problem until the last few of weeks when they've woken OH up a couple of times by barking for ages. They've barked until he's gone down and let them into the house just to shut them up so he can get some sleep. They're not barking to be let into the house; there are cats that pass by quite often and birds roosting in a tree, and I think it's that noise that sets them off.

We don't want them to get the idea that if they bark they'll be allowed in, but we can't leave them barking all night and annoying the neighbours. I was thinking that it might help if we kept some dogfood in the bedroom and when there was a lull in the barking to scatter a fistful out the window and distract them, but I'm worried that this will be seen as a reward for barking rather than not barking.

They're two Cairn terrier crosses; one aged about 10 and the other about 5.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Why don't you let them sleep in the house? There wouldn't be any birds etc. for them to bark at and they might stay quiet so you could get come sleep!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

There's no need for them to be in the house. The barking has only been about twice in the last couple of weeks, so it's not a constant problem that they neighbours are complaining about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭rhonin

Do they sleep in a dog kennel in the garden? Is it well sheltered from the elements? Maybe their cold and they want to get into the warmth of the house? As we all know, the weather has been very cold for the last few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

The kennel is snug in at the corner between the house, the steps from the house to the garden, and the wall with next door's garden so it's in a very sheltered location. There's a swing-door on the front to keep the drafts out, and they have a deep bed of straw in there too, so it's nice and cosy. They've slept in the garden since I got them two years ago, and the younger one had hardly been inside a house before that (they're rescues). I knew that I'd need them to sleep outdoors, which is why I got a hardy breed.

The weather and the accomodation isn't the problem; the problem seems to be with the cats and the birds. And since my back door is glass keeping them in at night (even if that were possible) wouldn't solve that problem.

If I could see the cat coming then I could distract them, but since I'm asleep I can't.

Advertisement