Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AHHH, will it ever be warm again!

Options
  • 25-02-2010 11:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭

I moved back from the states to get away from the freezing winters over there, only to be greeted by this! It never used to be like this, did it?
    Where is the global warming that we're all hearing about?

Does anyone know if we are going to have a nice early, warm, sunny Spring followed by a roasting hot summer :)

I can't take much more of this, but then again, I suppose I would take the sunny cold days over the grey, windy, rainy days .............. but still.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,682 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Maybe Spring will start in April :P

h850t850eu.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Speedy44

Maybe Spring will start in April :P

h850t850eu.png

Yea, April 1st I suppose :mad:
    What is that map supposed to represent, that we're all doomed !
    Please tell me its just a snapshot of the current conditions and not a prediction of things to come :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Speedy44 wrote: »
    Please tell me its just a snapshot of the current conditions and not a prediction of things to come :eek:

Its for 8 days time ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Speedy44

tinners wrote: »
    Its for 8 days time ;)

Thats it, where's my friggin passport ..............

Seriously though, did I hear some almanac predicting all this and saying that we will in fact have a great spring & summer, or am I totally deluding myself :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Shzm

Yeah that was last year. Still waiting for it too!

• Advertisement

You'll be ok those charts rarely come to life ;)
    Current conditions are very benign compared to that other chart.
    No sign of spring though unless you can catch a nice sheltered sun spot.

h850t850eu.png

Seriously though, did I hear some almanac predicting all this and saying that we will in fact have a great spring & summer, or am I totally deluding myself :confused:

Someone will always predict good/bad weather ever summer and winter and claim to be the best forecaster in the world should they eventually get it right. i wouldn't take these long range forecasts too serious :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Not

Maybe being used by some tennis head in a much warmer country :pac:

Seriously, while the jet stream keeps up its 'more southerly than normal' behaviour, we can forget about long hot summers than dont involve frequent monsoons. The unusually south position of the jet stream this winter I dont think is a good sign for this summer.

Not wrote: »
    Maybe being used by some tennis head in a much warmer country :pac:

Seriously, while the jet stream keeps up its 'more southerly than normal' behaviour, we can forget about long hot summers than dont involve frequent monsoons. The unusually south position of the jet stream this winter I dont think is a good sign for this summer.

why not:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭Joe Public

I moved back from the states to get away from the freezing winters over there, only to be greeted by this! It never used to be like this, did it?
    Where is the global warming that we're all hearing about?

Does anyone know if we are going to have a nice early, warm, sunny Spring followed by a roasting hot summer :)

I can't take much more of this, but then again, I suppose I would take the sunny cold days over the grey, windy, rainy days .............. but still.

I think it's called "global warming" because it keeps moving around the globe, even Ken Ring is flummoxed and is now looking for patterns in cups of tea.:)

• Advertisement

why not:confused:

Because it is continuing the trend of the jet stream being further south than it should be. Therefore it's showing no signs of tending to going back to its normal positioning behaviour. What has killed our last few 'summers' is it being further south than normal, so if this behaviour continues this summer will also be a wash out. So I'm expecting a summer much like the last two:( I hope (god I really hope) to be wrong, after all I'm no expert.

Not wrote: »
    Because it is continuing the trend of the jet stream being further south than it should be. Therefore it's showing no signs of tending to going back to its normal positioning behaviour. What has killed our last few 'summers' is it being further south than normal, so if this behaviour continues this summer will also be a wash out. So I'm expecting a summer much like the last two:( I hope (god I really hope) to be wrong, after all I'm no expert.

I had assumed (mistakenly:confused:) that the more southerly jet stream would have been favourable for a dryer summer, high pressure more likely to build up around our region. If the jet stream goes back to its normal position i'd expext wave after wave of atlantic fronts no matter what time of year.

I had assumed (mistakenly:confused:) that the more southerly jet stream would have been favourable for a dryer summer, high pressure more likely to build up around our region. If the jet stream goes back to its normal position i'd expext wave after wave of atlantic fronts no matter what time of year.

I may be wrong, but my understanding is that usually during the Summer it flows north of us, taking the Atlantic depressions to the north of us. Over the last few Summers it has been more southerly than it's usual position, therefore bringing the Atlantic depressions over us. Of course, if it stays where it is now, then we could be in for a good dry Summer, but I think (open to correction on this) usually it's position is more northerly in the Summer than in the Winter, so I would expect it to track more northerly than it is now for the Summer, and if it follows its current trend and does not go back to its usual Summer position, then that means it being over us again this Summer. Again, I say I'm no expert, so this could be a load of bs. I'd be delighted if some more knowledgeable people on here were of the opinion that the jet stream is capable of staying where it is now for the Summer - could mean the difference between a deck chair or a canoe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

If the JS stayed where its is we'd have a cool showery summer.

mike65 wrote: »
    If the JS stayed where its is we'd have a cool showery summer.

Thanks, I'm learning :)

So then, would I be right in thinking that for a good hot Summer, the jet stream has to feck off way north of Ireland and allow a blocking high to develop from the south or east ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

If this winter's setup was to repeat for the summer months, you could expect a cool, but rather dry summer. The very west and especially southwest would be prone to showers. Pity Wet Spain/Portugal tho!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

W A R M?

That word does not exist..

I'm hoping we'll see a sudden swap - NAO to Azores high and then a water shortage! :p

NAO???

North Atlantic Oscillation

• Advertisement

None the wiser:)

Thank you anyways....
    mike65 wrote: »
    North Atlantic Oscillation

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

A very strong and abnormally southern arm of the polar frontal jet would definitely bring a generally miserable summer with regular and ongoing showery days with fairly static cyclones over Ireland. They would affect all parts of Ireland or GB, as any cyclones need not necessarily be either zonal or retrograding. I remember too well how much rain the east coast witnessed in the summer of 2007, with mean monthly rainfalls for June and July over 300% the 30 year average in many parts.

Basically, that weather is a nightmare for those of us who cut lawns/silage or who have to paint exterior surfaces. I really hope this year will give a markedly different summer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO...

Its warm alright, Jean byrne was SMOKE-INNNNNNNNN this evening after the 6-one news. All Done up in her Battle Star Galactica outfit.......:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

I was out in shorts and a tshirt today. Lovely and sunny.

Old saying... "Never cast a clout till may is out..." is wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,483 ✭✭✭weisses

Graces7 wrote: »
    W A R M?

That word does not exist..

Ohhhhhh My polytunnel ....best buy ever :D:D:D

Yearning.. I had one once.. and they are awesome. In winter I used to sit in it.

I had a grapevine and a passion flower vine and grew sweetcorn.

Oh STOP!!!

No money for another; our people were in both Haiti and Chile so all cash and more has been used there.

Enjoy!!!

weisses wrote: »
    Ohhhhhh My polytunnel ....best buy ever :D:D:D

Advertisement