Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Win tickets to 3 of the best films at the Jameson Dublin International Film Festival

Options
  • 25-02-2010 11:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

Due to a coincidence we find ourselves with a pair of tickets to each of the following great films at the Jameson Dublin Film Festival.

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo - Sat 27 February at 11am in Savoy 1

girl_with_the_dragon_tattoo_ver2.jpg
    Based on the first book in Swedish writer Stieg Larsson’s bestselling Millennium trilogy, and set in contemporary Sweden, The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo stars the popular Swedish actor Michael Nyqvist as Mikael Blomkvist, a journalist hired by a wealthy businessman to investigate the disappearance of his niece 40 years earlier.

Blomkvist – with the help of the tattooed, ruthless computer hacker Lisbeth Salander (Rapace) – links the disappearance to a number of grotesque murders and begins to unravel a dark and appalling family history.

For the uninitiated, the Millennium novels are probably the biggest international phenomenon to emerge from Sweden since ABBA, and director Niels Arden Oplev finds some elegant visual shortcuts for Larsson’s exposition-heavy prose in this accessible, attractive thriller. And yes, the inevitable Hollywood remake is due in 2011.

ALICE IN WONDERLAND 3D - Sun 28 February at 14:00 in Savoy 1

Alice%20in%20Wonderland_banner.jpg
    A magical and imaginative twist on some of the most beloved stories of all time, Tim Burton’s unique take on Lewis Carroll’s novels stars Johnny Depp (who else?) as the Mad Hatter and Helena Bonham Carter (who else?) as the wicked Red Queen.

Working from a screenplay by Linda Woolverton, Burton has crafted a sequel of sorts to Carroll’s novels Alice’s Adventures In Wonderland and Through The Looking Glass.

Newcomer Mia Wasikowska plays a 19-year-old Alice, who returns to the whimsical world she first encountered as a young girl, reuniting with her childhood friends: the White Rabbit, Tweedledee and Tweedledum, the Dormouse, the Caterpillar, the Cheshire Cat, and of course, the Mad Hatter. Alice embarks on a fantastical journey to find her true destiny and end the Red Queen’s reign of terror.

Alice In Wonderland is Tim Burton’s first film shot using the Digital 3-D format. Listen out for an all-star voice cast lending their talents to Wonderland’s inhabitants: Alan Rickman, Stephen Fry, Michael Sheen, Timothy Spall, Christopher Lee, Paul (The Fast Show) Whitehouse and Barbara Windsor![/COLOR]

This screening is in Digital 3-D

and

THE SURPRISE FILM - Sunday 28 Feb at 17:00 in Savoy

450px-Purple_question_mark.svg.png
    One of the joys of programming the Jameson Dublin International Film Festival is the intensity of the last few months, working into the night to get the right balance of films from around the world, confirming glamorous galas, inviting interesting filmmakers, curating key retrospectives and tributes.

However, without a doubt one of the greatest ironies of this job is knowing that ONE film will sell out with no advance information. The Surprise Film is one of the hottest festival tickets and it’s a secret until it starts to unspool in its traditional slot on February 27th. Not even the projectionist knows - as we always switch the labels on the film! Let the guessing commence…

In the interest of fairness, we'd like to offer you the chance to win tickets to one of the films - but which will you choose?

Just post below to say which pair you want and why and you're in with a chance. The more work you put into getting the tickets, the higher your chances!

I'll pick the winner on Friday afternoon and your tickets will be for collection at the cinema. Not a bad prize, is it? :)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

I would like the tickets to go see Alice in Wonderland as it would be a great way to relax on Sunday and get me away from my Thesis for a while as it has taken over my life recently.

Would be nice to be able to bring my girlfriend as it was her birthday yesterday and seeing as how I'v been so busy it wasn't possible to do anything for it...this would be ideal as we were talking about it last night and how she's love to see it!

And who can pass up the opportunity to see Johnny Deep;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭JJ

I'd love to get tickets for Alice in Wonderland this Sunday. The daughter is away for the weekend and the wif and I have time to ourselves to go see this movie. I meant to buy tickets but while we were thinking it over they all sold out.

I've read Alice in Wonderland and Through The Looking Glass. If there was any director who could successfully adapt these books to the screen, it would have to be Tim Burton and the only possible actor you could think of to play the Mad Hatter would be Johnny Depp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Sharlovesjohn

Loved this film as a child was always watching it :o
    Seriously would LOVE to see new 'adult' verison of it now im all grown up ;)
    Looks amazing in 3D I think its going to be the film of 2010 if the trailers are anything to go by! :rolleyes:

Also Johnny Depp is amazing actor and I am dying to see him as the Mad Hatter!
    Plus in these recessionary times its always lovely to get a free pair of tickets to a film never mind a 3D film prices are crazy for them in the cinema! :eek:

Anyway thanks for the comp, follow you guys on Twitter so got the heads up :D

• Registered Users Posts: 26 dimbodoyle

Hey I'd like two tickets to Alice in wonderland please!

Just P***ed off my girlfriend and I know this would put her in a good mood!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Sharlovesjohn

Ps. Can you post more then once :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭AttackThePoster

I would like to see Alice in Wonderland in 3D as I've already seen the original from 1968 Alice in Acidland. It would mean a lot to me to catch the sequel to this movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

I've read the trilogy of books and am excited and nervous about seeing the film versions - excited because the books were brilliant but nervous because i'm not sure how they'll bring all the aspects of the books into the film! but it will be interesting to find out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Meeja Ireland

I would love tickets to the Surprise Film. I haven't been surprised by a film since The Crying Game. Who knew Forest Whitaker could act?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

I would like tickets to Alice in Wonderland as I am actually attending an Alice in Wonderland themed fancy dress 21st on Saturday night and what better way to stay down the rabbit hole than letting Tim Burton take me there in 3D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭fransdev

I would love to win the tickets for the surprise film, always in for a good surprise. And I can surprise my girlfriend....

• Advertisement

I really need those tickets, I can hear her outside the room sharpening a knife! Someone call 911!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭fransdev

Willing to do anything to have a chance winning those tickets...:confused:

A further list of reasons:
    • I have great memories of the animated film and the book
    • My girlfriend fancies Johnny Depp
    • I never win anything
    • My Girlfriend loves the cat in it.
    • I haven't been in the Savoy in about 4 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭smallgarden

id like tickets for the surprise film,its more fun going to see the unknown.also its on later in the day so need to get up early on a saturday or sunday morning to go see the other two.the cinema should be in the evening time otherwise you come out all confused if its still daylight well i do anyways!

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭phoebe!

I would love tickets to the Surprise film as I need to be reminded that surprises are good.....the last time I had a surprise it was to learn how easy it is to break your ankle on ice :eek: I can finally walk again and need to remember that surprises should be good, like parties and cakes and going to a movie having no idea what it might be:) This is your chance to restore my faith in good surprises!!!!!!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Curl52

I would like the tickets to the surprise film because as of late my life has been extremely predictable, working 9-5 Monday to Friday, exercise,Mon, Tues, Thurs, Sat, cinema/Jonathon Ross Friday, few drinks Sat, Sunday empty. Basically that's been my life for the last few years, and I need an element of excitement and surprise to spice up my Sunday for a change!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 emergingwriter

Defo Alice. Can't go Saturday anyway to the dragon tattoo. Bit worried that the film will spoil the book. How could quirly Tim Burton spoil quirky Alice? Not at all and a relief from semi-saccharine Disney.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭cHaTbOx

I would like a chance to win the tickets "The girl with the dragon tattoo" as I know it would really make someone's week.
    I have been told constantly to read the trilogy by her and I think it will bring a smile to her face bar having an 11 o'clock screening :p

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Pudding11

Id love two tickets to the surprise film. I have a good friend who is in desperate need of some cheering up and even delicious cupcakes with chocolate frosting arent helping! I think that two movie tickets with an air of mystery about them could do the trick! :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

Alice in Wonderland

I've always been a huge Tim Burton fan and his fantastic twists on movies makes them perhaps the most memorabe experiences. As it stands I'm currently getting over a slight case of Vertigo so the ideas of going out and enjoying sunday as opposed to sitting inside is seriously appealing (plus its my birthday in 2 weeks :) )

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Alice in Wonderland. Because then I could just set up camp in Savoy 1 for the whole day - I'm already going to the Surprise Film and closing film. Must check what the 11am film is there on Sunday ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Lil' Smiler

Wow! What a great competition!

I would be thrilled to win tickets to see Alice In Wonderland. I've had itchy feet since hearing about this film 2/3 years ago and am dying to see it. I'm a huge fan of the book since a child, the Disney original and Tim Burton movies. I love my childhood memories of the film and it'd be great to make some brilliant new adult memories watching a more up to date version of the film!

I've had a busy busy few weeks and this is my first Sunday off in a long time (been working Monday - Sunday for weeks now!) and what better way to spend it than watching a film i've been waiting for for a long time and in a fab surrounding! :)

Ahh the last time i went to the Savoy was for the Lion King premiere! :D

Plus... I never win anything :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Would love tickets to the surprise film as myself and the wife will be in town on Sunday anyway and well we both love surprises :)

Some of the reasons and so bloody lame tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Some of the reasons and so bloody lame tbh.
    Like this one?
    I would like to see Alice in Wonderland in 3D as I've already seen the original from 1968 Alice in Acidland. It would mean a lot to me to catch the sequel to this movie.

On topic:

I'd like a ticket to the surprise film because I am the only one to have posted here so far.
    *deletes everyone elses posts*

Mwhahahahha!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭rock whore

Dear Boards.ie,

I would like tickets for Alice in Wonderland please. I have tried getting them at the box office but they were sold out.

I've been an Alice fan since I was a kid. I love the books and I maintain that the animated movie is Disney's best non-Pixar movie.

I feel I absolutely MUST see this movie though I'm dreading the prospect of it. Tim Burton is the most overrated director in Hollywood. He had a spate of good movies in the late80s/early 90's and since then he has been riding his luck with a succession of truly awful releases. He hasn't made anything remotely watchable since Ed Wood and I feel certain that he has made a total hash of this project. Yet I still feel the need to see it just because it's an Alice movie.

Cheers,
    Marky

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

I would like to win the tickets to Alice in Wonderland so that, firstly, be one of the first people to see the film in the country (ill use spoiler tags after, dont worry) but secondly to bring along someone who has the imagination, temperment and disposition to absolutely LOVE this film.

I wont mention names cause i wanna surprise them should i be lucky enough to win, but this person actually thinks she is an Alice type character; lost, inquisitive and always drinking magic potions (not really that last one).

I suppose that would make me Johnny Depp :pac:

I have also been looking forward to this film. What with it being 3D i would imagine it will have the charm of Captain Jack Sparrow combined with the Eye popping effects of Avatar (coupled to a better story one hopes).

Anywho, thats just my impresssions...id love to find out first hand and first off the mark :)

Galvasean wrote: »
    Like this one?

Tbh, deep down you know my post is the best so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 ellybabes

With apologies to Lewis Carroll, I decided to base my please on "The Mouse's Tale" (referenced here: http://bootless.net/mouse.html)

I'd lay out the poem in the right shape, but the forum doesn't support that....

Darragh said to the hordes
    That were logged into Boards
    “Did you hear, did you hear?”
    Alice is coming to town

It’s now time you see,
    To have a party of tea
    And follow the white rabbit
    Far down the hole

There are tickets to spare
    So put your chins in the air
    You must decide which
    you want to see

The hordes they sighed,
    It’s so easy to decide
    That Alice is a roide
    Pick me, pick me, pick me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Tbh, deep down you know my post is the best so far.

Well, I must admit, it certainly was a good reference.

Advertisement