Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lazy and unfit marathon?

• 25-02-2010 11:16am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Just a quick question. I'm not a healthy fit or in shape man. I'd like to be but thats for a different thread.

Anyway, A god friend of mine sadly died this week and he was really into his running and ran a marathon in the last year and often told me how much he loved it etc.

I'm thiking i'd like to run the dublin one (in Oct right?) in his memory and I guess i'm asking would it even be possible for a slob like myself( i cant stress how lazy i am) to run it? I'm not looking into breaking 4 hours or any of that craic finish at a running pace i would be delighted with.

Any help i would be delighted with and i'd appreciate it if yee think there wouldn't be a change of me doing it.

Cheers again.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Powerplate

Hi Ziedth - I'm very sorry to hear about your loss.

I highly recommend you check out http://www.irishfit.eu/marathon2.html

The guy who runs it is called Sean McFadden. He's a great guy and very passionate about helping total beginners get into long-distance running.

His Mooathon event might also be just the type of running event you're looking for! :)

Hope that helps,

Paul

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

Being unfit is no barrier to training for and running a marathon.

Being lazy is.

Most marathon training programs are 18 weeks long and even a novice "get you round" schedule will assume the ability to run (or run/walk) 6 - 8 miles in one session in the first week. All will build to a long run of 18 miles, with many going as high as 20. Even a basic, low level schedule will peak in the 25 - 35 miles per week range. If you are a slower runner then you need to factor in teh time element as well - you could be spending 2 - 3 hours of your Sunday slogging round teh roads on top of a couple of hours during the week. Add in all of teh other stuff - a clean diet, early nights and so on and a marathon training program is a big ask. In fact running the marathon on teh day is the easiest part!

If you really think that you will be committed enough then I would suggest googling teh "couch to 5k" running program, which is a great way of going from no running to a good level of fitness. From there you can look up a Hal Higdon Novice Marathon schedule. In fact having a read through them now is probably a good idea as it will give you a clearer picture of what you are letting yourself in for.

I did my first marathon in 2005 for simaler reasons. I wasn't that unfit but I only trained for 14 or 15 weeks and it was a pretty stupid way of doing things. Commit to it, do the training and it can be done. Might be worth checking out the ART forum on here as well - loads of runners and loads of newbies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Thanks lads, commitment def isn't an issue for me. I'm somewhat lucky in that my job is seasonal so i'll have nothing but spare time in the summer months. I think i just got to start tomorrow and not look back ya know, i'll research today. Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Moman

Id start today :)
    even if its only a walk, never start tomorrow
    the couch to 5k program mentioned above is http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

Advertisement