Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seal colonies in Ireland?

Options
  • 25-02-2010 11:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭

Is there anywhere in Ireland where I can view seals from land? A search on google just led me to boat trips...

Thank you!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭captain_boycott

Dunno what part of the country you are in.

In Mayo/Sligo, plenty of seals all around Killala bay and Clew bay

From the coast road between Ballina and Enniscone you can see large numbers of seals hauled up on sand bank. Also plenty of rocky outcrops/islands in clew bay offer good views from the mainland

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

There are generally seals easily viewable in Skerries harbour. Do you want to see them on land or in the water though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

There's a seal colony out on Inis Mor. You can get lucky at times and see lots of seals lolloping around when the tide is low or there may be none at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭cfitz

Great, thanks very much. I'm in the midlands but I don't mind travelling to wherever would be best to see them. I'd like to see them on land. I'm assuming they'll be coming in and out of the water anyway (that's what they did when I saw them in Namibia anyway). I'll go to wherever I can see them up closest - would rather not have to use binoculars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

Howth in Dublin, from the harbour. Not so much a colony but there is 5 or 6. The fish shops sell scraps, 2e a bag or something if you want to feed them. I think they're mo so like pets with all the tourists feeding them. They come right up to the wall. We went for a walk around Howth whilst staying in Dublin. I must see can i find the pics.

• Advertisement

Dusty87 wrote: »
    Howth in Dublin, from the harbour. Not so much a colony but there is 5 or 6. The fish shops sell scraps, 2e a bag or something if you want to feed them. I think they're mo so like pets with all the tourists feeding them. They come right up to the wall. We went for a walk around Howth whilst staying in Dublin. I must see can i find the pics.

That sounds like good close viewing! But I do like my wildlife to be wild so I think somewhere where they're not at all looked after by humans would suit me better.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

Hi Cfitz (I see we're both outside of our common ART haunt:)).

I know a little bit about this having done a PhD on seal population dynamics a long long time ago (this means that my knowledge is a few years old).

Its difficult to get close to seals that are hauled out, they can be very skittish animals. The best place to see seals in the water is in a fishing harbour - most of the east coast harbours will have seals that are regular visitors (mostly grey seals) - not so many of the west coast harbours. One of the other posters mentioned the Ballinna - Enniscrone road from where a sandbar can be seen in the Moy estuary that almost always has common seals hauled out at low tide in the spring - summer months. I have in the past walked through the fields from the little car park on this road down to the river and been able to get quite close to these seals before they spooked - but their bahaviour may have changed in the few years since I've done this. If you've got a pair of fins and make sure its slack water you can swim out to the sand bar (this will definitely spook them into the water). There is also a small island in Killarry harbour (where the harbour 'bends' towards the sea) where with binoculars you will see common seals on occassion (you will need binoculars to view them from the road on the south side of the harbour). One other place I remember is on the Mulranny to Bangor Erris road in Mayo - there is a small island that is visible from the road that used to have one or two common seals on it on a regular basis. There may be other areas but I cant think of any more (most of my research was on the North West coasts).

If you want to see large numbers of seals then you should try and get out to the Inishkeaghs in spring i.e. now. This is the time of the grey seal moult when they spend large amounts of time on land. If you can get out you will see upwards of a couple of thousand grey seals in the 'docks' areas of the Inishkeagh North and South islands. Its quite a sight (and smell).

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

There's a group of common seals usually hauled out on the beach at the eastern end of Bull Island, Dublin Bay. They can be approached fairly close (don't go too close) if you're prepared to walk the couple of miles from the carpark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

cfitz wrote: »
    That sounds like good close viewing! But I do like my wildlife to be wild so I think somewhere where they're not at all looked after by humans would suit me better.

Yea was thinking. Well these do sit upright in the water about a metre from the pier staring up at everyone expecting fish. You would be as far on going to the zoo, except your not payin 17quid:p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

There are plenty of seals off the Dingle/Slea Head peninsuala. They tend to land about the Blasket Islands. Fishermen go a bit sometimes clubbing them to death. Doesnt make the news 99% of the time.

• Advertisement

Also plenty of rocky outcrops/islands in clew bay offer good views from the mainland

Clew Bay might suit me very well because I'll be close to that area next month. Are their any specific locations there that I should try? If I have just one afternoon am I likely to get good sightings?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭captain_boycott

In Clew bay go to Pigeon Point, (Carrowholly, Westport) and explore coastline around the seafood factory.

Or head out to Roonagh pier where the ferry goes to clare Isl and look around there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭1squidge

There is usually 4 or 5 seals around Clogherhead pier.

griffin100 wrote: »
    If you want to see large numbers of seals then you should try and get out to the Inishkeaghs in spring i.e. now. This is the time of the grey seal moult when they spend large amounts of time on land. If you can get out you will see upwards of a couple of thousand grey seals in the 'docks' areas of the Inishkeagh North and South islands. Its quite a sight (and smell).

Inishkea sounds great. How does one usually get there? Also, I know I said I wanted to get as close as possible to the seals, but I'd prefer not to disturb them - how close is too close?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

Inishkea sounds great. How does one usually get there? Also, I know I said I wanted to get as close as possible to the seals, but I'd prefer not to disturb them - how close is too close?

Its a boat trip from Blacksod usually - its quite a short trip. If you're really keen a local boatman will bring you out easy enough.

Whenever you get close to seals that are on land they are likely to spook so its difficult to get really close whether you are in a boat or ashore. In my experience grey seals tend to be more wary than common seals. What we used to do in the Docks area was to land (i.e. swim from a RIB) on the northern / eastern side of Inishkeagh North and crawl over the island so as to get a count of them on the docks beach without spooking them. Sometimes if you are lucky you can approach groups and get quite close if you are upwind of them and stay quite. Very often in somewhere like the Inishkeaghs you will find lone adults fast asleep that you can get very close to :).

Spring is the best time for seeing large groups of grey seals; summer not so good as they disperse to feed before the breeding season; autum is not a good idea as they are pupping and you dont want to cause series distrubances causing the cows to abandon their pups.

The Blaskets as someone said might also be a good site; along with the Saltees - again these are boat trips. In and around Portaferry is also good for common seals but I'm not sure if they are visible from the shore.

Due to persecution / hunting molst grey seal haul out sites are offshore - in the 19th century a seal was considered as valuable as a pig for meat and oil. Common seals tend to prefer sandbanks so they can be easier to see from shore but not in as large as numbers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Irishmarinelife

In Clew bay

Or head out to Roonagh pier where the ferry goes to clare Isl and look around there.

Just to the south of the pier about 10 minutes walk is a colony of 20 - 50 individuals, approach really quitely and you might be able to watch for quite a while.

Or go surfing lots at Carrownisky around the corner and every now and then you will be the one being watched! A solitary seal will keep about 50 yards away from you throughout the whole session, curious as anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

Seals are short sighted on land. If you want to approach them stay downwind and quiet. You can get relatively near them if they don't smell you but it's best to keep some distance and use binoculars to view them. You can often see them hualed out on any of the Islands around the coast and you can get closer to them in a kayak than any other means. They don't seem to view a kayak as a threat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭neil_hosey

theres a beach on the westerly side of Inishbofin off connemara that is possibly one of the most beautiful secluded beaches i have ever seen, and about 40-50 yards from shore is a grouping of rocks which is a seal colony. there was an awful lot of them there each time i am down there, and you are pretty much guaranteed to be the only one there.

if u want info on how to find the beach (difficult) pm me.

neil_hosey wrote: »
    theres a beach on the westerly side of Inishbofin off connemara that is possibly one of the most beautiful secluded beaches i have ever seen, and about 40-50 yards from shore is a grouping of rocks which is a seal colony. there was an awful lot of them there each time i am down there, and you are pretty much guaranteed to be the only one there.

if u want info on how to find the beach (difficult) pm me.

You'll need a sturdy pair of boots for that one too. ;)
    Alternatively see if one of the local lads would take you around for a spin in a curragh.

Hill Billy wrote: »
    You'll need a sturdy pair of boots for that one too. ;)
    Alternatively see if one of the local lads would take you around for a spin in a curragh.

its a nice beach all the same isnt it billy? :D

on a sunny day lookin over the abandoned inishturk. some sight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Connacht

In Mayo :
    Pigeon point - yes
    Clew Bay golf course - yes
    Roonagh pier (go left along rocks) - yes
    Iniskeas - yes
    Ballina Moy estuary - yes
    Berracrogher Bay (Mulranny to Ballycroy road) - have not seen.

neil_hosey wrote: »
    its a nice beach all the same isnt it billy? :D

on a sunny day lookin over the abandoned inishturk. some sight.

[off topic]
    A beautiful place indeed. Great views of Clare Island & Achill too. There's still a few folks on Turk though. Not abandoned quite yet.
    [/off topic]

[off topic]
    A beautiful place indeed. Great views of Clare Island & Achill too. There's still a few folks on Turk though. Not abandoned quite yet.
    [/off topic]

ahh sorry i meant inishark.. the island you can see from that beach. never been over to it, but plan on it next month when im headin over again.

Ah - We are talking about different beaches on Bofin then. The one that I know for seal watching is on the north of the island at the back of the Middlequarter hill.

Shark is closer to the SW of Bofin - so you must be talking about a beach (Trá Gheal?) out towards Dún Mór in the west.

Enjoy your trip to Bofin (I'm envious) next month. I usually go down with the family every Easter, but can't make it this year. Have a pint in the Doonmore Hotel for me. :(/:)

Ah - We are talking about different beaches on Bofin then. The one that I know for seal watching is on the north of the island at the back of the Middlequarter hill.

Shark is closer to the SW of Bofin - so you must be talking about a beach (Trá Gheal?) out towards Dún Mór in the west.

Enjoy your trip to Bofin (I'm envious) next month. I usually go down with the family every Easter, but can't make it this year. Have a pint in the Doonmore Hotel for me. :(/:)

thats the one alright. in the westquarter.

ill have many for you :)

[off-topic]
    Have decided that I'm going for Easter after all. Seal's here we come! Oisin - start pouring the pints. :)
    [/off-topic]

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Donegal Bay.... Seen from the Waterbus.

But the other places sound utterly beautiful.

Enjoy.. I used to live on a Scottish island with friendly seals on a nearby beach.

Apart from a half-hearted attempt near Newport in Mayo, I didn't get around to my seal-search in the west. I didn't stay long enough or search hard enough to see anything in Clew Bay, but since then I had different kind of sighting in Dun Laoighaire. I was sailing a small dinghy out of the harbour and the wind disappeared just as I was passing the place where they throw out the fish heads (well I think that's what they were doing). There were 3 big seals waiting in the water quite close to where I was so I got a good look at them grabbing the food and eating it. Not quite as natural as the sighting I was looking for but great to be down at water level with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

They are beautiful so close; glad you saw them like that.

Where we were they would come in close to the shore if you sang or whistled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭harryd2

Headed to Clare Is today, didn't see any seals at Tra Gheal or the Stags.
    Great day on the island though, lovely open place to explore on a nice day.
    Headed to Roonagh afterwards, and saw 4 seals hauled up 10mins walk from pier.
    Didn't take binoculars so didn't get to see them up close.
    Didn't want get too close to spook em, so just left em sunbathing.

Advertisement