Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilcock - nice area

Options
  • 25-02-2010 11:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭

I'm looking at moving to Kilcock with the OH in the near future, either in the village or just outside. From just going through it seems like a good place but want to hear from those who lived/live there.

Is it a nice place to live? Rowdy on weekend nights? Much crime or social problems?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭STForSale

Hi,
    Been living in Kilcock for 7 years, I am a blow in so no bias.

It's a quiet village pretty much all the time.
    Has the basics in terms of shops, pubs, garage and a couple of restaurants. For supermarkets or nightclubs, maynooth is 5 minutes away.

Transport links are excellent, 2 mins to the M4 motorway, train station and some bus eireann coaches serve the village so commuting to dublin is easy if needs must.

On the down side, kildare county council did not put the development levies back into the comunity during the boom. The roads in and around the village are a discrace and foothpaths are disjointed and ofter in a poor state of repair.
    Compared to Maynooth, celbridge or leixlip, kilcok is a poor relation.
    There is also little to nothing in the way of ameneties apart from the GAA and the canoe polo club.

All in all it's not a bad place to live but if you are looking in the general area of north kildare I would strongly suggest you consider maynooth.

Hope this helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 fidz

Hi Mink,

I moved to Kilcock last year for cheaper rent.... I am moving back to Maynooth as soon as my lease is up..... I cant wait to gte out of it. I found it rough, unfriendly and an uncomfortable place to live. Couldnt settle here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

fidz wrote: »
    Hi Mink,

I moved to Kilcock last year for cheaper rent.... I am moving back to Maynooth as soon as my lease is up..... I cant wait to gte out of it. I found it rough, unfriendly and an uncomfortable place to live. Couldnt settle here.

Well I've paid my deposit & all set up to move shortly so going to make the best of it. Thanks for another viewpoint though

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭trudub

Hi,

Myself and the OH moved into ryebridge about 6 months ago and we love it. Now that the better weather is coming in we've found it to be quite friendly and definately not rough, don't know what the other poster is talking about (especially compared to Maynooth). I hope you like Kilcock, but the roads really are atrocious!

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kdouglas

trudub wrote: »
    Hi,

Myself and the OH moved into ryebridge about 6 months ago and we love it. Now that the better weather is coming in we've found it to be quite friendly and definately not rough, don't know what the other poster is talking about (especially compared to Maynooth). I hope you like Kilcock, but the roads really are atrocious!

Cheers

Just moved into kilcock with the OH before Christmas, love it, such a nice
    Little town and the people are friendly in my experience. Roads definitely need work though.

• Advertisement

Good to hear good feedback. Luckily I'll be at an end of the town that I don't have to go through all the bad roads to get to motorway for work. I think I'm walking distance into the town so if I need to go to the shops I can walk.

Is there a petrol station in the town or do you have to go to stop in Maynooth for that?

There is 2 petrol stations.
    Kellys ford garage on the maynooth road which closes early or the 24 Hr one on church street.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭megapixel

Hope your enjoying kilcock, we bought last May and have had no regrets.
    There's a lovely cafe on the harbour, was in there for the first time on moday.
    Would love if someone opened a supermarket in the town....anyone????

I'm definitely looking forward to the move at the end of the month. Will scope the place out more then. Hoping to stay there for a good while & maybe buy if it works out. I like that it's close enough to Dublin but still out in the country a bit.

Anyone here commute to Dublin everyday for work, what are your petrol costs like - that's one of the main reasons we're moving closer to Dublin is the commute & cost of

Mink wrote: »
    Good to hear good feedback. Luckily I'll be at an end of the town that I don't have to go through all the bad roads to get to motorway for work. I think I'm walking distance into the town so if I need to go to the shops I can walk.

Is there a petrol station in the town or do you have to go to stop in Maynooth for that?

Sounds like you might be somewhere near myself then, we're at Courtown Park, on the motorway side of town.
    I'm definitely looking forward to the move at the end of the month. Will scope the place out more then. Hoping to stay there for a good while & maybe buy if it works out. I like that it's close enough to Dublin but still out in the country a bit.

Anyone here commute to Dublin everyday for work, what are your petrol costs like - that's one of the main reasons we're moving closer to Dublin is the commute & cost of

Yup, myself and the other half both work in/near Dundrum. It's 40km from our front door to the dundrum shopping centre and takes 30-35mins on an average day (normally leaving before 8 or sometimes around lunch time). Some mornings the traffic can be bad and it'll take 40-45 but with the M50 open now it's smooth sailing most of the time.

Into City centre it's about 30mins aswell outside of peak times, at peak I've only ever done the journey once and it took about an hour with the bulk of the traffic being from liffey valley onwards into the city.

If you're already living further away than kilcock, you'll probably find the commute much nicer.

• Advertisement

kdouglas wrote: »
    Sounds like you might be somewhere near myself then, we're at Courtown Park, on the motorway side of town.

Yep we're going into the same estate, seems to be nice & quiet & settled in there.

The other 1/2 will be commuting to D20 so it's 15-20 mins.
    I'm heading to D11 so if I can't avoid toll, seems to be 30 mins.

We both commute during off-peak times so traffic not an issue unless there's a crash or something.

You seem to be doing similar sort of trip, maybe 5-10km more. Any idea how much petrol you go through in a week?

Yes we won't know ourselves once we move cos the commute right now is an hour + !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭paulanthony

There is supposed to be some work done on the roads when the current sewerage works are finished. We will wait in hope I suppose.

Yep we're going into the same estate, seems to be nice & quiet & settled in there.

The other 1/2 will be commuting to D20 so it's 15-20 mins.
    I'm heading to D11 so if I can't avoid toll, seems to be 30 mins.

We both commute during off-peak times so traffic not an issue unless there's a crash or something.

You seem to be doing similar sort of trip, maybe 5-10km more. Any idea how much petrol you go through in a week?

Yes we won't know ourselves once we move cos the commute right now is an hour + !!!

Not entirely sure tbh, I drive a Diesel Mondeo that get's about 47-48mpg, but I have a company fuel card so I don't keep that keen an eye on it. I used to fill the tank every 10 days or so but I've changed car recently and the older one had a smaller (55litre) tank, I also got better fuel economy in the older one too, ironically enough.

75euro fills a tank, 65 litres, that gets about 1000-1100km, each roundtrip to dublin is ~80-85km so out of a tank i'd get 12/13 round trips if I didn't drive anywhere other than to work and back, so based on similar fuel economy and current diesel prices, it's about 5euro/4.5litres of diesel for every trip.

Good maths! Ok thanks. I'll just have to trial run it along with whether it's worth avoiding toll in terms of petrol costs vs. paying the toll. Thanks a mil

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Snaggle0705

Hi Mink,
    Lived in Courtown Park for 10 years and loved it... Reared our children there and never had any trouble at all. They went to primary school there, did sport etc. Great bakery (Black Forest) - lovely bread and cakes... people are lovely - very friendly... canoe competitions very popular there in the Summer on the canal and gives a great buzz to the place... great circuit for walking too (called Laragh by the locals - 4 miles in total - takes about an hour to do)... there's also a running track across the Courtown Park roundabout (called the Bawnogue)... Maynooth is four miles away where you have Tesco, Dunnes, Aldi, Lidl, Super Valu... train/bus route through Kilcock also... tbh could do with tidying up The Square and completing the roads but, other than that, have nothing but positive things to say about it.
    Best of luck there.
    Hope you're happy in it... ;)

Hi Mink,
    Lived in Courtown Park for 10 years and loved it... Reared our children there and never had any trouble at all. They went to primary school there, did sport etc. Great bakery (Black Forest) - lovely bread and cakes... people are lovely - very friendly... canoe competitions very popular there in the Summer on the canal and gives a great buzz to the place... great circuit for walking too (called Laragh by the locals - 4 miles in total - takes about an hour to do)... there's also a running track across the Courtown Park roundabout (called the Bawnogue)... Maynooth is four miles away where you have Tesco, Dunnes, Aldi, Lidl, Super Valu... train/bus route through Kilcock also... tbh could do with tidying up The Square and completing the roads but, other than that, have nothing but positive things to say about it.
    Best of luck there.
    Hope you're happy in it... ;)

That's brilliant, I'm into running (well you'd call what I do a strained jog) so how do you get to that running track exactly?? Is it the St. Coca's athletic club??

Is it something to do with this track? http://www.irishheart.ie/iopen24/pub/slinaslainte/maps/kilcock.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Snaggle0705

Hiya,
    Not sure about club but entrance to track is across from Scoil Ui Riada... there's a roundabout at Courtown Park. If you take the Clane Road exit and take the next right (almost immediately after roundabout), track is just in there on the left hand side...

Ok great thanks

That Irish heart link made me realize how little of the area we've explored since moving in, have to walk that route I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Royal Seahawk

While Kilcock has decent facilities and nice people there can be no denying that the town itself appears like run down kip, especially to a passer-by.
    How in God's earth them buildings opposite the church are still standing is beyond me. Corscadens and Mick The Butchers etc have the place looking like downtown Baltimore. The one way street leading down to the square isn't much better either.

It's a shame because the town has great potential but there is far too many run down abandoned buildings in the town, and there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of plans in place to do anything about them either. They're like a big elephant in the room that locals don't seem to notice are there.
    Personally I do not know how any true Kilcock local can have any pride in the appearance of their town.

This isn't a swipe at the town by the way, the Gaa facilities are amongst the best in the country and there is a great selection of schools, shops and the like within the town. It is also right beside the M4 motorway with a train station also located centrally in the town. Kilcock residents are spoiled for choice with the selection of cafes and restaurants in the town, most of which are top notch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭SQ2

Kilcock has unfortunately been left behind during the boom times with no substantial investment in the town, and the developments that did happen are completely out of keeping with the rest of the landscape. (eg the new building at the bridge just doesn't fit in with anything anywhere near it!! How did planning allow that!???)
    KCC money seems to have been all spent by the time it reached the outskirts of the county, and as a result it gets a spoon of tar thrown in to the potholes here and there instead of proper road maintenance.

During the last recession there was at least Leaf(Zed Candy), Kelly's Bakery, Field's Supermarket and Monaghan Fields as fairly large businesses in the area.
    Corscaddens pub fell victim to a family feud which prevented the sale for development a few years ago and has since been purchased by a developer who afaik is now broke. There was planning submittted for a decent sized development there but it was refused.
    The locals haven't had their head in the sand re the condition of the town, but it seems that land owners in the area with key properties were holding out for top dollar for the land during the good times, and now the rug has been swiftly removed from underneath them.

Given the choice, businesses choose to locate where there is considerabely more custom in Maynooth. Even Monaghans relocated there but didn't survive.

Kilcock has a huge potential to be a fantastic "quaint" country town with small shops and restaurants, but it really needs to planned from the centre outwards, not randomly dropping developments around the outskirts of the town such as the leaf or corscaddens site. The old CBS/Gaeilscoil, and the site of the former Connolly's store are two places that need redevelopment, let alone the old Kelly's Bakery. It would be great to have a town centre.
    There is plenty of wealth in the hinterland of Kilcock, but the only decent place to spend locally is in Maynooth.

It does thankfully have a welcoming feel IMO, and shopkeepers and such have the time of day for their customers or time for a chat. But I'd dearly love to see something done with the place so we could have a town to be proud of.
    At least the harbour looks decent..
    Join the community here..
    http://www.facebook.com/search/?q=kilcock&init=quick#!/pages/Our-Kilcock/133394935169?ref=ss

SQ2 wrote: »
    Kilcock has unfortunately been left behind during the boom times with no substantial investment in the town, and the developments that did happen are completely out of keeping with the rest of the landscape. (eg the new building at the bridge just doesn't fit in with anything anywhere near it!! How did planning allow that!???)
    KCC money seems to have been all spent by the time it reached the outskirts of the county, and as a result it gets a spoon of tar thrown in to the potholes here and there instead of proper road maintenance.

During the last recession there was at least Leaf(Zed Candy), Kelly's Bakery, Field's Supermarket and Monaghan Fields as fairly large businesses in the area.
    Corscaddens pub fell victim to a family feud which prevented the sale for development a few years ago and has since been purchased by a developer who afaik is now broke. There was planning submittted for a decent sized development there but it was refused.
    The locals haven't had their head in the sand re the condition of the town, but it seems that land owners in the area with key properties were holding out for top dollar for the land during the good times, and now the rug has been swiftly removed from underneath them.

Given the choice, businesses choose to locate where there is considerabely more custom in Maynooth. Even Monaghans relocated there but didn't survive.

Kilcock has a huge potential to be a fantastic "quaint" country town with small shops and restaurants, but it really needs to planned from the centre outwards, not randomly dropping developments around the outskirts of the town such as the leaf or corscaddens site. The old CBS/Gaeilscoil, and the site of the former Connolly's store are two places that need redevelopment, let alone the old Kelly's Bakery. It would be great to have a town centre.
    There is plenty of wealth in the hinterland of Kilcock, but the only decent place to spend locally is in Maynooth.

It does thankfully have a welcoming feel IMO, and shopkeepers and such have the time of day for their customers or time for a chat. But I'd dearly love to see something done with the place so we could have a town to be proud of.
    At least the harbour looks decent..
    Join the community here..
    http://www.facebook.com/search/?q=kilcock&init=quick#!/pages/Our-Kilcock/133394935169?ref=ss

Well put and thanks for the link.

Well we moved to Kilcock & love it so far. The estate is nice & quiet & settled, nice neighbours (I make a point of going & introducing myself).

Drive on the back roads to Maynooth is lovely beside of the canal & it's a lot closer then I though. The town itself is grand & there does seem to be various clubs & associations so good spirit. I'm joining the athletics club this week :D

Also, only 1/2hr drive to my work & 20 mins for the OH & both work in Dublin. So overall, I think I'll be staying for the long haul here.

There are an awful lot of butchers in the town though, I think we counted 4 or 5!

Can anyone recommend any of the take aways?

For the population of Kilcock, it has plenty of Hairdressers, Pubs, Take Away's, Cafe's, and Butchers! We could give them away!
    Rosies is the nicest take away IMO (for miles around) Big Bites isn't bad either despite having an absolutely VAST menu!

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭starflake

Hi there we are thinking of renting in Kilcock. we went to look at an apartment in Rye River Walk... seams lovely... Just wondering if anyone knows anything about the apartments , we are two professionals. We noticed that there was a lot of prams in the hallway downstairs. Does anyone know if it's a quiet area?

Thanks in advance...

oh and if anyone could tell us areas to avoid or areas to rent in that would be great :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭CK2010

hey, sorry to hijack the thread but myself and the OH were looking at a house in kilcock today, everything seems perfect about the house and the area, the only thing holding us back is transport.

he works in blanchardstown (he'd drive there) and my family/friends would be around there too but i dont drive so im wondering how difficult it'd be to get there by train/bus? trains dont seem to be too regular- i could go to maynooth and get the train from there but its alot of hassle. any busses that go in that direction? if so, how regular and how much would they cost?

thanks.

Blanch is 20 mins by car if you go via leixlip / clonee.
    Train station in kilcock but trains are not that regular.
    Depending on where in blanch you are going you could get train to coolmine / castleknock and get the bus from their, no direct bus service that I know of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 cuchulainn100

Hello,

I'm also thinking of moving to Kilcock from Maynooth. Could anyone tell me if there is still a night bus going to Kilcock from Dublin? I don't think Dublin bus nightlinks go there, but think there was a Bus Éireann night bus going to Kilcock at some stage?

Thanks.

Discontinued over a year ago at this stage which is a pity, used it all the time and it was a great service

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 fay2000

Hi all. Has anybody moved into Ryebridge Kilcock lately. Just looking to no how much the houses are been sold for and is it much below the asking price.

Cheers All ;)

Advertisement