Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5830 out

Options
  • 25-02-2010 12:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭

Yup ATI have dropped the ball, this should have been a great card, but with zero competition from Nvidia its slower than a 4890 and more expensive.

A few months ago 4890's were as low as 135 euros on some sites, now all performance ATI cards are up in price, fair enough, considering they pretty much have the gaming market sewn up right now.

The latest I've hard is that Fermi would be coming out in May at the earliest.. add a delay of a month or two onto that and ATI could nearly get their next gen out.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,022 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

How did Nvidia let things get so far out of sync :(
    We need more competition in the market!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Fermi - 26th March.

Some websites taking preorders on the gtx480 now... 570 euro. Yep. Market is fooked atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

570 euro. Yep.

That is stupidly sick, really shows that so many "tech" guys don't have a clue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

If fermi actually does drop in march ill eat my own foot. But even when it does ATI already have a new and improved 5970 which will decimate it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Even funnier is that the reference HD5830 is nearly a foot long lol.gif

Seriously, it was way funnier to flamebait those sad little nVidia fanbois so we all managed to miss the fact that AMD managed it's own little Fermi with the HD5830. Supposed to hit the shelves before Christmas ffs :mad: Instead here we are nearly three months down the road and two failed validations and two PCB revisions later to get a much more expensive, much weaker and hungrier card. A slow cool-running 16-SIMD HD5830 on a 7" PCB for €175 was made of win. An inferior-performance, hot-running 14-SIMD card on a 10-13" PCB for €230+ is just taking the **** :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭swirlser

Anand did a nice review, and no real surprises it didnt go down too well with them. Altho I dont agree so much about the performance aspect of it, at least I certainly wasnt thinking it would trump a 4890. It doesnt make sense that the top card (single) of last gen would be beaten by the bottom end in the current gen same tier. But it sure is pricey for what it does. :(

(Anti - keep your feet clean :p)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

A lack of competition can turn a company into slush so quickly..

But Nvidia is still screwed, because when they finally release Fermi, ATI can just drop their prices like a stone

They fluffed what could have been the perfect card, the power from the 58 series with the size and pricing of the 57 series

Oh, it has the power of the 5800 series alright, power consumption that is :P

EDIT: X-bit have been rather slow and tardy lately. Not with the HD5830 they haven't! Blew the lid the second the NDA timed out. It appears that AMD made a huge mistake and chose to rip out most of the ROPs. Looks like the abnormally low 3D performance could be due to the fact that having the same number of ROPs as the HD48xx/57xx is bottlenecking rasterization and thus leaving the HD5830 bottlenecked and only being able to achieve only 100% rather than 140% throughput against the HD4890 clock-for-clock in many titles... and it just happens to be clocked lower than the HD4890.

Nice one AMD. You've just crippled all your RV870LE silicon :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,688 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

AMD have always been stingy with the ROPS going back to the X1k days.

• Advertisement

Stingy is fine, its when you slice such a ridiculous amount off that you cripple the throughput of the die that things get ugly...

anyone looking to get the 5830, just get a 5770 instead :P

After waiting all this time that's probably what I'm going to do :(

Curses! I should have followed my gut instinct and nabbed the HD5850 at launch! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

Solitaire wrote: »
    Curses! I should have followed my gut instinct and nabbed the HD5850 at launch! :(

No way am I buying a gpu now, only a year ago there was so much value to be had.

You'll just be throwing your money away :(

The sub-€150 market isn't that bad. Its when you step an inch over that line that things go to hell in a handbasket! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Chosen

Solitaire wrote: »
    The sub-€150 market isn't that bad. Its when you step an inch over that line that things go to hell in a handbasket! :eek:

Yeap, who would have thought a few months ago that we would be getting all sorts of mid-high end cards (260, 4870, 4890, 5750, 5770) at around 150...

Advertisement