Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Unirea Urziceni vs Liverpool 25th Feb 2010 KO 18:00 Ground: Unirea Valahorum St

• 25-02-2010 12:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭

So lads and lassies. How do you reckon it will pan out? With Torres confirmed not to start, I can't see a whole lot of goals in this game. Liverpool will keep it tight at the back and look to cautiously counter attack, not committing too many in offense. I'll go for a 1-0 victory or 1-1 draw.

Team I'd like to see
    Reina
    Kelly Agger Skrtel Insua/Aurelio
    Lucas Aquilani
    Benny Pacheco Babel
    N'Gog/Kuyt

Team I expect to see:
    Reina
    Carra Agger Skrtel Insua
    Lucas Masch
    Kuyt Gerrard Babel
    N'Gog

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

I think we’ll see

Reina

Carra
    Skrtel
    Agger
    Aurelio

Masch
    Aquilani

---Kuyt
    Gerrard
    Babel

N’Gog

I would personally pick Kelly at right back, but otherwise I think it’s the right team. Lucas and Insua have probably played more football than I’d like this season and could use rests between PL games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

I think we’ll see

Reina

Carra
    Skrtel
    Agger
    Aurelio

Masch
    Aquilani

---Kuyt
    Gerrard
    Babel

N’Gog

I would personally pick Kelly at right back, but otherwise I think it’s the right team. Lucas and Insua have probably played more football than I’d like this season and could use rests between PL games.

You're probably right about Lucas actually. He could do with a break and I'm sure he wants Aquaman to get a quality performance in to boost the confidence.

I think leaving Gerrard out would be a good idea. It would give Pacheco a chance to impress, it would send a message to Gerrard to that he will have to pull his socks up. Personally, I would rather have our best (maybe 2nd best) player being risked in a competition I don't consider very important.

I think Pacheco needs to start a game and Euro games are usually less aggressive, slower paced and easier to play in than a viscous EPL game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

4-0 Unirea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,068 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I would like to see this team.

Reina

Kelly
    Agger
    Skrtel
    Aurelio

Masch---Aquilani

Yossi
    Gerrard
    Riera

Babel

We will most likely see Carra at right back, Insua left back, Kuyt on the right and N'Gog up front though.

Osu wrote: »
    4-0 Unirea

I'm sure you'd get fairly decent odds in the bookies for that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

3-1 to Liverpool, the last two goals coming very late.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

magma69 wrote: »

500/1 with PP at the moment.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

:D You never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

1-0 to the rumanians, they go thru on pens

what are odds on that? - can't get to sites in work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Osu wrote: »
    4-0 Unirea

Firm but fair.

:P

• Advertisement

No channel 5 coverage :( I don't have 3e. Dang, some lousy stream it is then....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

0-0 is where my money would be.

http://www.teamtalk.com/football/story/0,16368,1776_5978714,00.html
    Bizarre Bucharest welcome for Rafa

Liverpool boss Rafa Benitez fielded questions about his match preparation, his future and - bizarrely - his weight on his arrival in Bucharest.

Although a 1-0 lead from the first leg of the Europa League last-32 tie against Unirea Urziceni by no means guarantees the Reds progress on Thursday evening the Romanian media have been quick to assume Unirea are considered something of an irritation by the five-time European champions.

The decision by Benitez to stay at Melwood yesterday morning rather than travel early to train in the Steaua Stadium - as Unirea's ground does not meet UEFA standards - was perceived badly in Bucharest.

As a result, when Benitez arrived for his pre-match press conference at the rather late hour of 9.15pm local time last night he faced an odd line of questioning.

It began with an enquiry as to why Liverpool were spending so little time in Romania and got more odd.

"Sometimes it is easier for us to train at home because you can practice without problems and you have more time," said the Liverpool boss.

"After the time of the flight it was better to train normally in the morning and then fly here.

"If we had to fly and then come here to train you have to come early and may not train properly.

"As for after the game, if it goes to extra-time, the plane will wait, because it is a charter. Don't make the mistake of thinking we are taking anything for granted."

Having diplomatically fielded questions about how he felt about taunts from rival fans about getting sacked, which Romanian players he may have had on his transfer shortlist at any one time and also what his fee would be to manage in the country should he leave Liverpool the most bizarre question was left until last.

"Mr Benitez, the last time I saw you was in Istanbul in 2005 and you had a different silhouette - what has happened to your silhouette?" said the inquisitor, in a clumsy reference to the Liverpool manager's weight.

Benitez, with good humour, responded: "It is the stress of answering questions from the press."

The Liverpool manager would like to get this match out of the way so he can begin preparing for the Barclays Premier League visit of Blackburn on Sunday.

However, he knows he cannot afford to under-estimate the Romanians, who exited the Champions League early like his own side.

"We have the belief and the confidence we will progress in the competition and although Urziceni are a good team we are a good team so we don't think about defeat," he added.

"We have to be confident we can score and that we can win the game.

"A one-goal lead is important always. A clean sheet is crucial as you know that one goal is not too much but if you score then one goal is not enough for them."

Striker Fernando Torres and midfielder Yossi Benayoun are both in the squad having made their comebacks from five weeks out with knee and rib injuries in Sunday's 0-0 draw at Manchester City.

And i thought the English media were hard on him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

I don't think Pacheco was is in Romania but he is so :D.
    He was out of consideration for the reserve match Tuesday which was cancelled because he was in Spain at a Spanish U-19 training camp.

Apparently the squad which travelled : Reina, Cavalieri, Carragher, Kelly, Agger, Skrtel, Kyrgiakos, Insua, Aurelio, Gerrard, Mascherano, Lucas, Aquilani, Benayoun, Babel, Kuyt, Pacheco, Ngog, Torres

Doesn't look to be any Riera, Degen or Spearing included :confused:

Cant see Benayoun starting on the left so think is the likeliest set-up.
    Aurelio gets in to rest Insua

Reina
    ---Carra---Skretl--Agger---Aurelio---
    Lucas----Masch
    ---Kuyt
    Gerrard
    Babel---
    Dave

Subs: Cavalieri, Kelly, Kyrgiakos, Insua, Aquilani, Benayoun, Pacheco, Torres

If I was picking the team I'd go for the following

Reina
    ---Kelly----Skretl--Agger---Aurelio---
    Gerrard----Masch
    ---Kuyt
    Aquilani
    Babel---
    Dave

with Pacheco and Benayoun the likeliest subs - either replacing Aquilani/Babel/Dave (and switching formation) depending on who is playing well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

a nice comfortable evening please.

win it in 1st gear with no injuries.

thank you kindly.

I don't think Pacheco was is in Romania but he is so :D.
    He was out of consideration for the reserve match Tuesday which was cancelled because he was in Spain at a Spanish U-19 training camp.

Um, er, yeah, I totally realised all that. <.<. .>.>

Um, er, yeah, I totally realised all that. <.<. .>.>

??????

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

mike65 wrote: »
    No channel 5 coverage :( I don't have 3e. Dang, some lousy stream it is then....

Bloody 3e coverage is like watching a stream anyway :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,677 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

First goal will kill this game. Either we get it and they need three, or they get it and they'll hold back and try and hit us on the break. I don't see either scenario producing goals to be honest...

Pessimist, I know!

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

??????

I had no idea Pacheco was away on international duty and may not have been in today's squad. :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

If you have Chorus NTL it'll be on ESPN as well

Nope. I have FTV sat set up and "rabbit ears"

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

So 7,8 or 9 defenders tonight?

At least, bearing in mind there are two teams playing! :p

At least, bearing in mind there are two teams playing! :p

Maybe that's where my maths have been going wrong all this time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

a333a.jpg

Yossi starts on the right with Babel left I presume.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Cue outrage that a 19 year old unproven youth hasn't been thrown headfirst into a potentially hostile environment and important game.

Surprised Aquilani isn't starting, but presumably he'll play at home to Blackburn.
    I think Pacheco should have been on the bench. Otherwise it's a pretty good team.

• Advertisement

PiE wrote: »
    Cue outrage that a 19 year old unproven youth hasn't been thrown headfirst into a potentially hostile environment and important game.

Rabble rabble rabble! I am disappointed to see him not getting a start though. Premiership games will be tougher imo. Aquilani on the bench, although not surprising, is shameful. He should be starting this game and put in his first quality 90 minutes. He needs a confidence boost, sitting on the subs bench in an relatively unimportant game is madness imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,681 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

good to see babel getting another game.

was thinking of putting money on him to score but ill go for old reliable Benni

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Did anyone notice the fantastic stats that ESPN offered just there

Unirea haven't scored a goal since december *

*They have been on a midseason break

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Rabble rabble rabble! I am disappointed to see him not getting a start though. Premiership games will be tougher imo. Aquilani on the bench, although not surprising, is shameful. He should be starting this game and put in his first quality 90 minutes. He needs a confidence boost, sitting on the subs bench in an relatively unimportant game is madness imo.
    Presumably he'll be playing in the more important game at the weekend and is being kept fresh for that.

Kuyt dropped:eek:

or more accurately rested.

Shame Pacheco isn't on the bench, especially ifwhen we go 3 up before half-time.

• Advertisement

Did anyone notice the fantastic stats that ESPN offered just there

Unirea haven't scored a goal since december *

*They have been on a midseason break

A good reason never to watch the build up.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Presumably he'll be playing in the more important game at the weekend and is being kept fresh for that.

If he does start at the weekend then I have no problems with it. But I actually think he won't start on Saturday. I think Rafa is not all that confident in Aqua at this moment. Hopefully I'm wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

God even 2 minutes build up on 3e is too much!

Looking forward to this one, will be a tough test for Liverpool.

3e's display of Liverpool's formation

Reina
    --Carra--Skrtel--Agger-Insua--
    Lucas
    --Babel
    Benayoun--
    Gerrard---Masch

Dave

I think it might not be 100% accurate.

/\ amusing /\

Ah noes - Trevor Welch :mad:

• Advertisement

Great power in the shot from Gerrard, a lively start.

/\ amusing /\

Ah noes - Trevor Welch :mad:

Busy making Lou Macari like a competent commentator

Look like Benni on the right Babel on the left.

Pitch looks a bit choppy.

Lucas is a genius.

More action in 3 minutes than their last 2 games!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Didnt know tv3 did streams.

Niether did I, something to check I guess. The stream is high quality and smooth even on my 1 mb line.

Jaysus, these commentators are killing me.

Time for http://dl.img.qj.net/uploads/files_module/screenshots/25290_mute.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Woo, can't hear the commentators!

Damn they're back after 60 sweet seconds of silence.

Pitch looks damned poor.

Loo Cas

How annoying is that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement