Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lower back pain, Help !!!! and this weather were havin

Options
  • 25-02-2010 12:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Hi Guys,

I have had terrible lower back pain on the right side in the past but recieved 3 different diagnosis, an osteopath told me it was the sacroiliac joint, one physio told me it was fallen arches, another told me it was tight hamstrings (usually cant touch my toes). So i wore the insoles, stretched the hamstrings, did a heap of lower back stretches, heat packs on my back, ibuprofen ect, these all eased the pain temporarily especially the stretch for the sacroiliac joint but the only thing that made the pain go away was to give up all impact/running sports (The physios told me to keep running which turned me into a cripple for about 9 months). I now swim and use a low impact cross trainer twice to 3 times a week and also do muay thai (thai kickboxing) twice a week (2 hour sessions) which involes aerobics warm up, pad work and body conditioning. I have also started hot yoga for flexability (90 mins) once a week. The pain is now rare and mild but i am always aware of it as there is always a slight twinge as long as im active. At its worst i found it a major struggle to walk, sit and sleep. I also experience periods of testicle pain which feels like a kick to the balls for four or five days at a time about twice to three times a year when im very active, this pain is completly alleviated by not moving (walking or running) but even slow walking is torture, after a few days it goes away regadless. I read somewhere that this could also be related to the sacroillac joint. I also experience a cramp pain in the front of my upper thigh on the same side as my back pain, If i lie down during this and raise my straighened right leg, i will feel a popping. Sorry to unload but id kill to be injury free. Any recommended guys in galway for this problem? Do ye think a manipulation could help?

Thanks for any help ye can offer and jaysus tis cold out.

Anyone miss the sunshine? God the ocean race was good!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 reggiews

Hi Pauldanaher,

Ya iv been doing loads of swimming for a couple of years and im in fairly good shape and really want to see what my body is capable of but this back thing is messing with my mojo, anywho, what you gonna do!

Cold snaps should be a little snappier!

Reggiews

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Have you ever had an mri or x-ray done?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

I have similar pain, my physio diagnosed it as a problem with my lower spine but an MRI scan showed that there were no problems there, the pain is right on my SI joint so I reckon that's what it is but I need to go back for another scan to confirm it. I'd be interested in recommendations for someone in Galway too as the guy I was going to said he couldn't do any more for me, though he still rings to check up on me every now and then.

I had to completely give up anything involving impact as well which was a dose because I love running, the cross-trainer is a halfway acceptable substitute but it's not the same. Yoga has helped a lot though and my pain levels are way down since I started that before Christmas, though there's still a few twinges a couple of times a day which I'd be happier without. Sitting for long periods makes it worse which is unfortunate as I have an office job that I will be in for the foreseeable future.

And sure there's grand sun out there today :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

Medical Advice isn't allowed on this forum. Go see a doctor :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

rain on wrote: »
    I have similar pain, my physio diagnosed it as a problem with my lower spine but an MRI scan showed that there were no problems there, the pain is right on my SI joint so I reckon that's what it is but I need to go back for another scan to confirm it. I'd be interested in recommendations for someone in Galway too as the guy I was going to said he couldn't do any more for me, though he still rings to check up on me every now and then.

I went to the sports physio in NUIG and they sorted me out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭davmol

The new sports injury clinic up in santry is excellent,i know youre a fair bit away but if youre up in the big schmoke give them a call,ive heard great reviews about them and one was from a lad who suffered back pain like yours

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Medical Advice isn't allowed on this forum. Go see a doctor :)

+1.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement