Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LUDO

Options
  • 25-02-2010 12:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Hey all,

Found this course at BCFE and applied for it, but read through some of the posts saying that if you have some skills already it would be best to do the other 2 year one, is this correct?

I have no amasing skills when it comes to design I have played around with UDK and some other programmes, Wouldnt have amasing skills in studio max either. I have the interview next week and not sure what to expect. Should I prepare some things for the interview?

And does anyone know is there a fee for the course for europeans ?

Dameeda

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 55 ✭✭lanyonwhites

Check their website i dont think so for eu students just the fee for admin.

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭steve_

LUDO is a good course to get a feel for things and see if its something youd like to continue with. Dont expect to come out of LUDO with any substantial skills of any kind. Its basic and thats as far as it goes. If you know gaming or digital media is what you want out of life id have a look at CGH and DMH. You could teach yourself the same stuff you'd learn in LUDO over a matter of weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 dameeda

Thanks for replies guys,

Steve I dont even know where to begin and say how much I love games ehehe, I have tried so many times to do mods, create characters etc but due to lack of skill it just went tits up.

Hence the reason I want to go to college to learn it. the 2 year diploma course seems to be exact what I want but I was told ill need some sample work for the interview .. I have nothing to show lol

Any advice?

Yeah you will need to show some work, and the interviews are this month. You could be cheeky and get trial versions of 3d max and photoshop and do some tutorials off the net. Honestly the skill level you need to be at to get onto either CGH or DMH isnt that high but in terms of what you'll learn in these courses its allot more involved. In other words to get onto the course aint too hard but completing the work might be if your not up to speed.

You need to come across as passionate in your interview, tell them your doing your own study and that by September you'll be well on your way. As for showing work like i said get trial version and get cracking on some tutorials.

Id suggest this: http://lounge.ego-farms.com/showthread.php?t=66
    Get the 3d max trial and crack on with these vids, Eric is an awesome trainer and it will really bring you up to speed!! Best of luck.

much appriciated Steve, i´m gonna get cracking now :D

• Advertisement

Like when i went for the interviews last year i showed them this

To be honest they were very impressed with my work and offered me the spot there and then, sadly i didnt have the money to go and had to turn down the position a week later. But looking back on my graveyard i can see my skills have come on allot since then and its because of my own personal study. So if you do manage to get a spot on your course look into getting some cg academy dvds or even the intro to 3d max by gnomon which is also great

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

just checked this thread and it has me worried, ive got an interview on the 24th for cgh and ive never used any of these programs before, will i need to show my work in that too?

Since posting I have learnt quite alot using great tutorials on the net etc. I have not put anything solid together yet for the interview but I will be preparing something to take with me. Either be captures from what I have created or the same as Steve a short clip.

It dosnt state on the application that you need any skills in any of the programmes but im assuming if you really want to get a place you gotta stand out from the crowd.

If you wanna start practicing there is a programme called Blender 3d which you can use to make some short games and they give tutorials on the net.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭docdolittle

weeder wrote: »
    just checked this thread and it has me worried, ive got an interview on the 24th for cgh and ive never used any of these programs before, will i need to show my work in that too?

Well you have 2 weeks to put together something really simple. You could just download the Unreal Engine and make a simple level with a few textures, thats probably more than enough to make it into LUDO http://udk.com/download.html (We have UDK in college so you should be able to show it off in the college)

Just go here http://book.hourences.com/tutorialsindex.htm

Read the tutorials and make a small level with them, if you get stuck, I've no problem with you asking me. If you make a simple level I'd say you've done more than most people applying for LUDO.

You can really make a level with the BSP[The basic shapes made within the engine] and textures within the engine.

Or you could try the Unity game engine we're using in the college...

But either way, I'd say most people get into LUDO just with enthusiasm for games :rolleyes:

Edit: woops, didn't see you say CGH, Yea, try get into everything mentioned on the CGH thread :D Good luck :)

Advertisement