Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fitting a kitchen without appliances

• 25-02-2010 12:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭

Hey. I have just been turned down by the bank for a kitchen appliance loan, which is sh*t cause I have the price of the kitchen put aside.

Can any kitchen fitters tell me, can I get a kitchen fitted without appliances? The appliances I will be getting are....

Hob
    Oven
    Integrated DishWasher
    Undercounter Integrated Fridge
    Undercounter Integrated Freezer

I'm not sure, because the undercounter Freezer is going to be at the end of the kitchen, so I dont know is the end panel attached to the freezer, or to a piece of wood. Can I slide the appliances into the kitchen in as I buy them?

I have an old fridge, so one I have that and a sink, its enough to be getting by with.

thanks alot

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,179 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

most appliances are a standard 600 or 500 width, but a similar range for height, however I wouldnt be too excited about fixing things in place without them.
    Can you maybe purchase some applicances and only fir the part of the kitchen that you have appliances for (or that dont have appliances)?

I fitted my own kitchen in two phases and it wasnt an issue.

If you are buying a Cash&carry type kitchen you might even be able to buy the parts of the kitchen individually. Just check with them that they are not about to discontinue a range etc. I added to my kitchen 2 years after it was first installed with this method (from C&C kitchens)

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭oxygen

Its a C&C kitchen all right. I could look into not getting the wall cabinates installed, but Im not sure that would cover the cost of the appliances. I have 3k set asside for the kitchen, and it cost 3.2k. The appliances cost around 1,600 so I dont think not getting the wall cabinates is going to cover the cost.

My other option is finance. My credit rating isnt that bad, I think the bank are just looking to turn down loan applications.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

All the integrated units are probably 600mm wide and free standing so theyre not a problem to fit later, the oven fits into a premade unit so no problems there, the w/top can be cut for the hob later on....
    Just make sure all the plumbing and electrics are in situ or THAT might be you're real worry.....
    I've fitted kitchen in exactly this situation with no problems....

Great, it would make my life sooo easier if I could just go ahead with the kitchen and order appliances later.

Do you know, I wont be able to fit a kick board (or whatever its called) at the bottem then? I pressume, since it will go in front of the appliances.

Just go ahead and fit the kick boards, you can remove them easily later and cut to suit if needed..they're just clipped on...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,756 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Most appliances are the same size (600mm wide + 900mm high if I remember correctly), so these should be grand (dishwasher, cooker, washing machine).

Fridges come in all sorts of shapes and sizes, and I'd advise making the kitchen layout so that the fridge can be changed without much hassle. I recently removed a cabinet that was forcing our fridge to be 55mm wide and about 1.6m high, so we could replace it with a much larger fridge.

edit: this is presuming you're not using integrated appliances.

astrofool wrote: »
    edit: this is presuming you're not using integrated appliances.

The op has said they're integrated......so the spaces he needs to leave will be 600mm , unless the d/w and fridge/freezer is the "apartment" type ,the gap can be 500 or 550mm wide...but general units are 600 using a 595x715 door...

thx a mill for the replies guys. thats great, I can go ahead with the fitting so, and leave open spaces. Just each space should be 600mm wide, is that right. Then I can buy the appliances as I go along. Saves me taking out a loan at least

Just each space should be 600mm wide, is that right. QUOTE]

Provided you're buying 600 appliances..theyre usually 580/590mm wide....make sure you get the three doors too....C&C are always leaving things out..;)

BTW....how are you gonna eat with no appliances..:D

Just each space should be 600mm wide, is that right. QUOTE]

Provided you're buying 600 appliances..theyre usually 580/590mm wide....make sure you get the three doors too....C&C are always leaving things out..;)

BTW....how are you gonna eat with no appliances..:D

Ive been eating for a month with no kitchen :eek: so Ill be fine!
    I have an old freestanding fridge that will does for milk,sandwiches etc. Once I have a sink and plates and stuff Ill be laughing.

Is it an idea then to choose what appliances I am going to buy, and give the widths to the fitter. I had thought all these things were tightly standardised, down to the cm. crap, I guess not so. What about ovens, do they vary in widths alot?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

I'm not a kitchen fitter but I did fit my own C&C kitchen and utility units. All has been covered well here but if you stick to the 600mm module you won't have any problems with fitting integrated appliances at a later date, this is how these things are done anyway- a kitchen is fitted and appliances often follow on later to be fitted. Decide on the type of appliances you want, check the fitting requirements in terms of dimensions required and remember to avoid off-standard (less than 600mm wide) appliances as these are likely to be more expensive and you may have limited options in terms of brand, colour, functions etc. The most critical appliance to watch for is the dishwasher as these units are so compact and there is little room for accommodating the water and drain lines (make sure your trapped drain is not too far away!). Tile under the dishwasher area, as leaks can happen.

Advertisement