Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bridge Withdraws from World Cup

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

I'd say so. The wording of his statement makes it sounds like it's a fairly contentious issue among the staff. "Untenable", "divisive" and "distraction" are quite strong words for someone who's stepping down for personal reasons. I'd say the squad most have been split down the middle on this (just like people here are).
    +1

Terry > Bridge in Capello eyes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭jasonb

Aidric wrote: »
    Bridge claims the moral high ground and Terry is left looking like a knacker.

Exactly.

In fact, it's more like 'Bridge already has the moral high ground, but shows why he has it, and Terry is left looking even worse'.

But as Keano says, Terry is more important than Bridge, so Terry gets to stay and Bridge makes it easy for him by leaving.

Stripping Terry of the Captaincy is the same as O'Dea or Sargent resigning from their Ministerial positions. It keeps the media happy, but they're still not actually out of a job. If what Terry did is considered bad enough for it to effect his England career, then he should have been dropped completely. But he's too important for that...

J.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭Dean820

What kind of non-football activity does it take for a player like Terry to be dropped fully? Not much I'd reckon unless he was a closet pedophile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

magma69 wrote: »
    I think Gareth Barry should get the left back spot myself. Baines would be my second choice. Cole may be back in time though so all this speculation could be pointless.

Barry can play at left back but he isn't great there. He get's caught out a lot when he plays there, and doesn't have the pace for it.

I think Warnock should get the place as he's been playing very well all season.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

If only a team mate could have ridden Kilbane's missus before some of our squads were announced.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

feel sorry for the lad. he man'd up and made the right choice it seems for englands chances but id say its killing him that he wont get a chance to go to south africa.

nice wan JT. really super outstanding work.
    the man should be slapped. open hand, no cupping

Only just spotted that Chelsea V City this week. Should be interesting...

As a couple of people have said in the comments section of that Times article, surely the question should be has Terry let down his country, not Bridge?

J.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

An appearance in the England camp would have been a bridge too far :pac:

Smegball wrote: »
    An appearance in the England camp would have been a bridge too far :pac:
    The just Terry the hatchet, build a Bridge etc please don't encourage them :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

I'm convinced most people on this soccer board wish they were English.

Not sure why having an opinion on how a football player in England has behaved makes us wish we were English?

J.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

Do I smell a LOI "elitist"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Apologies Bobby keep fighting the good fight!

• Advertisement

Bob_Harris wrote: »
    Do I smell a LOI "elitist"?
    troll-web.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,832 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

its a shame he did nothing wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

jasonb wrote: »
    As a couple of people have said in the comments section of that Times article, surely the question should be has Terry let down his country, not Bridge?

J.

In no way has Bridge let his country down.

ENGERLAND, ENGERLAND, ENGERLAND!!!

That was just for you Bobby.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

in yo face

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Bob, whats your opinion on Bridge withdrawing from the english national side ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Apologies Bobby keep fighting the good shight!

fyp...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Bet all your mates* call you Fun Bobby....

* = me being presumptuous

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

why do people see playing on the national squad such a massive thing for players.

Bridge has decided that its not as important as his kid. Fair play to him

+ Devisive? I dont think its just a case of Bridge Vs Terry, theres probably more to it and Bridge is trying to stem that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

Why is Bridge getting so much sympathy? He and the one that Terry was having the affair with were broken up. I understand that they had a son together and that they shouldn't have been conducting their affair in the same house as him but they were seperated. Would or Should Bridge be as upset if Terry wasn't married?

Degag_ wrote: »
    Why is Bridge getting so much sympathy? He and the one that Terry was having the affair with were broken up. I understand that they had a son together and that they shouldn't have been conducting their affair in the same house as him but they were seperated. Would or Should Bridge be as upset if Terry wasn't married?
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=64641023&postcount=45

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Pundit on Sky news said Bridge hinted months ago that he was quitting international football. Opportunistic sympathy seeking imho.

nipplenuts wrote: »
    Pundit on Sky news said Bridge hinted months ago that he was quitting international football. Opportunistic sympathy seeking imho.
    Possibly but it just came down to him or Terry and he knew well Terry would not stand down so he said I'll be damned if I play alongside him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Arnold Layne

I think that on top of Terry being a so called mate, it would be the Red Top media cicus that would happen if both were picked for the back four in a match

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

nipplenuts wrote: »

One of his best mates didn't tell him he was shagging his ex and mother of his child while Bridge was still getting over the breakup. He found out through the media and he's been hounded by the rags non stop since. Some of his team mates may have turned against him (judging by the statement)...

Not only does he give up the potential highpoint of his career but he has his work cut out to protect his kid from hearing all the **** in the media about his ma. And then he has to put up with attacks on his character like from you from the foreseeable future. He deserves sympathy tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 233 ✭✭Brien

Players' chief Gordon Taylor has revealed how efforts to make peace between John Terry and Wayne Bridge failed when neither man volunteered to take part in mediation.
    Taylor says he was "surprised and saddened" following Bridge's decision to rule himself out of England contention and give up his World Cup chance.
    Taylor had initially been in the dark about Bridge's plan to make himself unavailable for Fabio Capello's England side, which was revealed via a statement from lawyers representing the Manchester City left-back.
    However he later stressed the Professional Footballers' Association had done all they could to heal the rift between the former Chelsea team-mates, which has developed following allegations that England captain Terry had an affair with Bridge's former girlfriend and mother of his child.
    PFA chief executive Taylor said: "The PFA offered to help and contacted both parties with a view to acting as mediators, but neither came back to us. I am surprised and saddened that this matter could not be resolved."
    Bridge said in his statement that his position in the England set-up was "untenable and potentially divisive".
    He and Terry are set to go head to head on Saturday, when Chelsea face Manchester City at Stamford Bridge in the Barclays Premier League.
    Taylor reflected that Bridge's decision to put his international career on hold was a decision which deserved to be respected.
    Taylor told the PFA's website: "You have to respect Wayne's decision, and his wishes, but it is sad that it has come to this.
    "I would have hoped that things could have been patched up for the sake of the professional careers of both Wayne and John Terry, as well as the England team."

Link from football 365

Dont really agree with him. It was Bridge's prerogative to say he doesnt want to work with someone like Terry. Football is his work, it doesnt beat his home and family life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

They've always had a chance in recent years. They've always had match winners in their squad, and for the most part they've actually had decent managers.

But the same thing always happens, the rags have their field day, the players egos get in the way, the manager gets undermined by player power, the vested interests come out from the shadows and the end performance is crap. It will be no different this World Cup, Capello will walk away a 'failure' (exact term to be coined by the Sun) and take the blame for everyone else's failings.

That and they're just not that good compared to other teams.

What did he expect? For Terry to tell him that he was having an affair? My point is that if Terry was a single man this would not be a story (or shouldn't be anyway) and Bridge would be getting none of this sympathy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Sheepy99

Am i the only won who thinks he's being a big baby? You'd think they'd just sort out their differences but no that's not possible with JT due to the size of his melon-head.

Sheepy99 wrote: »
    Am i the only won who thinks he's being a big baby? You'd think they'd just sort out their differences but no that's not possible with JT due to the size of his melon-head.
    Yes you are.

You find out your best mate is shagging the mother of your child whom you've only just split up with. Next time you see him you just say "alright mate, whats happening?"

Yes you are.

You find out your best mate is shagging the mother of your child whom you've only just split up with. Next time you see him you just say "alright mate, whats happening?"
    Were they not split up over a year though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

I'm disappointed by this. If Terry had any sense he would have stepped down instead "for the good of the team". Makes JT look very bad indeed. I feel sorry for Bridge, missing out on the WC and have his ex team mate go at it with the mother of his kid but in all fairness I don't think anyone can blame him for not being able to work along side JT. Sounds like he's pretty torn up about it. Makes the Man City-Chelsea match a must see!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

why does he have to be such a pussy, so big deal, jt was riding his EX , oh myyyyy!

this world of ours has this carry on all the time, and professional footballers are no different.

if it was his current fiance or wife he was doing the deed with it would be different, but is ex.

meh, choosing no miss out on the wc

what a wuss

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

sprinkles wrote: »
    I'm disappointed by this. If Terry had any sense he would have stepped down instead "for the good of the team". Makes JT look very bad indeed. I feel sorry for Bridge, missing out on the WC and have his ex team mate go at it with the mother of his kid but in all fairness I don't think anyone can blame him for not being able to work along side JT. Sounds like he's pretty torn up about it. Makes the Man City-Chelsea match a must see!!

I'd say that was part of the decision to do it. If England do badly at all in the campaign the media and british will hang JT out to dry, kinda like they did with Beckham years ago:eek:.
    I think Bridge is playing a smart game!!! Fair play to him:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

why does he have to be such a pussy, so big deal, jt was riding his EX , oh myyyyy!

this world of ours has this carry on all the time, and professional footballers are no different.

if it was his current fiance or wife he was doing the deed with it would be different, but is ex.

what a wuss

It's very easy to point the finger. Try put yourself in his boots. Imagine you just broke up with your partner of several years. Almost immediately after, you find out, she not only has easily moved on and got over you, it is one of your close mates who she's shagging. The mother of your child. You find all this out through the media. He was completely humiliated. If you are saying you could not let that get to you, then you are a more forgiving man than most.

Morale and squad harmony is very important and he didn't want to jeapordise that. I think you are being completely unfair tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

magma69 wrote: »
    It's very easy to point the finger. Try put yourself in his boots. Imagine you just broke up with your partner of several years. Almost immediately after, you find out, she not only has easily moved on and got over you, it is one of your close mates who she's shagging. The mother of your child. You find all this out through the media. He was completely humiliated. If you are saying you could not let that get to you, then you are a more forgiving man than most.

Morale and squad harmony is very important and he didn't want to jeapordise that. I think you are being completely unfair tbh.

blame the sun....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

blame the sun....

How did the Sun get JT to do a mates ex behind his back!!!:eek:

Damn, they're good:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭jaykay74

blame the sun....

not to mention the good times and the boogie

/hides under rock

what a wuss
    How charming.

Put yourself in his shoes. You break up with your girlfriend who is the mother of your kid and you move to a different city, leaving her and your child in London. Your friend then cheats on his wife with your ex. I'd be pissed off.

Some of the tabloid stories made it out that the reason Bridge broke up with her is because she wanted to stay in London and the long distance thing wasn't working out.... either way it's not a very nice thing for JT to do - regardless of whether he was married or not.

blame the sun....
    For what?

Doesn't JT have a column in the sun?

blame the sun....
    The sun didn't shag his wife.

• Advertisement

A good article on the whole fiasco here

For those who think that Bridge is making a big deal over nothing this is how the events panned out:
    Certainly not many of us retain the sort of proprietorial feelings towards our ex-lovers that Bridge appears to harbour for Vanessa Perroncel. Those sort of rights tend to evaporate once the other toothbrush disappears from the bathroom and the front door is slammed for the last time. There may well be subsequent twinges of jealousy, but what happens next is really none of our business. Bridge's reaction, however, is evidently more complicated, which only makes him a human being rather than a cartoon figure, and it is probably not indulging in unjustified speculation to suggest that those feelings are bound up with a concern for his small son.

When he moved to Manchester City 13 months ago, he went alone. Jayden Jean-Claude Bridge, two years old, stayed behind with his mother in their fine mansion, the sort of comfortable quarters that Chelsea footballers acquire in order to be close to their training ground at Stoke d'Abernon. Some time in the summer, it seems, the relationship broke down, and some time after that Terry began paying visits to Perroncel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

I know footballers can be spoilt brats but this occasion Wayne is on end of something that he should not have to be the end of.

I thought that was his ex. :D
    Paleface wrote: »
    Nothing cool about Gary Neville!

The G Nev deserves a new superlative of cool.
    blame the sun....

Will do and I'll continue my lifetime boycott as a result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

sprinkles wrote: »
    For what?

Doesn't JT have a column in the sun?

He had a column in Mrs Bridge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,367 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Bridge missed a sitter here, he should have forced Capello's hand on this by stating he cannot play in the WC with JT in the squad... it is either me or Terry.

Bridge missed a sitter here, he should have forced Capello's hand on this by stating he cannot play in the WC with JT in the squad... it is either me or Terry.

Maybe he did and was told where to go.

• Advertisement
Advertisement