Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bridge Withdraws from World Cup

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭smallerthanyou

Why would JT quit international football and his chance at a WC winners medal so Bridge can start a friendly against Egypt and sit on the bench at the WC? Cole will be fit by then so there is no problem.

Bridge decided himself not to play. If he manned up a bit the position probably wouldn't be untenable. Get over it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

Manned up?

Talk about manning up, but dont mention JT being a complete asshole about this, acting as if hes done nothing wrong? Christ, Ive lost friends for less, but if one my BEST mates gets into bed with my ex and mother of my child a short while after shes dumped me cause she doesnt want to move up north, id kill him.

If some one should man-up its JT. Apologise to your "friend".

And whats this necessity for Bridge to play in the WC? its england. their defense will fall apart after 2 games anyway and the midfield will remain playing like they have no idea how to play together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Cole will be fit by then so there is no problem.

According to a letter he wrote, published in the paper last weekend, Cole will be dead soon, and therefore unavailable for the world cup.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

People saying "Man up" are assuming it's all about Him and Terry, the fact he mentioned divisive issues implied it affects a lot more of the squad. It's quite possibly he genuinely feels its for the best for the England squad.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2010/0226/1224265203368.html
    SOCCER: WAYNE BRIDGE’S dramatic international retirement has caused the simmering tension between the Manchester City left -back and his former best friend John Terry to erupt into open warfare.

As Bridge effectively confirmed he could not bear the thought of playing alongside his England team-mate, friends of Terry responded by suggesting Bridge had long been considered a “bottler” in the dressingroom.

The pair will meet tomorrow with Chelsea playing City at Stamford Bridge, when all eyes will be on what is normally the formality of a pre-match handshake between the players.

Bridge, enraged at Terry’s affair with his former girlfriend, Vanessa Perroncel, the mother of Bridge’s son, had seemed in line to start for England at the World Cup finals in South Africa because of a serious ankle break suffered by the first-choice left-back, Ashley Cole. That would have led to him taking his place alongside the central defender Terry.

But, despite pleas from England manager Fabio Capello and his assistant Franco Baldini, Bridge has declared himself unavailable, saying his position in the squad had become “untenable and potentially divisive”.

Bridge telephoned Baldini to inform him of his decision, which was reached after weeks of soul-searching. Capello and Baldini are deeply disappointed and they tried their best to persuade Bridge to reconsider, but he will not.

Meanwhile, English Football Association chief executive Ian Watmore noted that “if you want to have a great team, you have to have a great team spirit”.

Capello will now name Aston Villa’s Stephen Warnock and Everton’s Leighton Baines in his squad for next Wednesday’s World Cup warm-up game against Egypt at Wembley. Baines is expected to start. Kieran Gibbs, the Arsenal left-back and another England contender, is out for the season with a fractured metatarsal.

Bridge, capped 36 times, released a statement that pointed towards the turmoil he has suffered.

“I have thought long and hard about my position in the England football team in the light of reporting and events over the last few weeks,” he said.

“It has always been an honour to play for England. However, after careful thought, I believe my position in the squad is now untenable and potentially divisive.

“Sadly, therefore, I feel for the sake of the team and in order to avoid what will be inevitable distractions, I have decided not to put myself forward for selection. I have today informed the management of this decision. I wish the team all the very best in South Africa.”

Bridge, essentially a shy character, has felt uncomfortable in the eye of the media storm, which he felt would not abate leading up to and during the World Cup finals. Bridge realised the attention might have undermined the harmony and the best efforts of the England squad and, in one respect, he has stood down for what he perceives to be the collective good.

Yet the bitterness lingers. Bridge sorely wanted to play at the finals and, with Cole facing a race to be fit, he had begun to imagine himself in Capello’s starting line-up.

That he will not be, Bridge believes, is down to him being placed in an impossible situation by the actions of others, Terry in particular.

The Manchester City player has not forgiven Terry. The reaction of the Stamford Bridge crowd tomorrow to Bridge, always a popular player in their eyes, will be interesting.

Members of the Chelsea dressingroom have insisted that Bridge and Terry will, in time, be able to patch up their differences.

“It’s between Terry and Bridgey,” said the midfielder Mikel John Obi.

“They are adults and they will sort themselves out. They have been best friends for a long time and it’s unfortunate something like this has happened.

“But they will go into the game as professionals and just play the game. Whatever happens, happens.”

The striker Salomon Kalou said: “We are going to play a football game and the other problems should be on the side.

“Maybe it is a big story but, for us, it’s just about getting on the pitch and playing against Manchester City.

“The talking should be on the game and as players, we are more focused on the game. What happened before is in the past.”

PFA chief executive Gordon Taylor revealed that efforts to broker a peace between Bridge and Terry foundered when neither player volunteered to take part in mediation.

“The PFA offered to help and contacted both parties with a view to acting as mediators but neither came back to us,” Taylor said.

“I am surprised and saddened that this matter could not be resolved.”

© 2010 Guardian Service

I see friends of Terry have labelled Bridge a bottler, not content with f*cking up his personal life and costing him a place at the World Cup.

Anyway what does Terry know about bottle, didn't he leave his somewhere on a pitch in Moscow?:pac:

article-0-01580C3C00000578-526_468x286.jpg

article-0-015658B900000578-889_468x291_popup.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

I doubt any "friends of Terry" think Bridge is a bottler, newspaper sh1te to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Good aul Keano asked about Wayne Bridge today
    "I have some identity with players who aren't happy with the set-up,” explained Keane.

“However, I have no views on Wayne Bridge. I don't know what the big deal is? If he doesn't want to play for England, then he doesn't want to play.

“England have plenty of left-backs anyway.

“The pinnacle of a career, for many of the top footballers now, is getting the big contract, the Bentley and the blonde.”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

anyone else think Fabio Capello is secretly quite pleased with Bridges decision?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Could be very interesting at the match.

The bit about there being considerable support for Bridge in the Chelsea dressing room is something that I could see pissing Terry off big time.
    Mass Manchester City snub in support of Wayne Bridge may shake John Terry

February 27, 2010
    Matt Hughes, Deputy Football Correspondent

Carlo Ancelotti claimed yesterday that John Terry has been so unmoved by Wayne Bridge’s international retirement that he has spent the past few days telling jokes in training, although his attitude could change as Terry faces the prospect of a very public humiliation today.

It is understood that several Manchester City players have discussed joining Bridge in shunning Terry by refusing to shake his hand before today’s match at Stamford Bridge, while some of Bridge’s former Chelsea colleagues have privately sent him messages of solidarity.

Terry may be slightly put out that five of his team-mates have texted their support to Bridge since he announced his unavailability for England on Thursday, but being publicly snubbed live on television before a match that will be shown around the world is another matter entirely.

In keeping with his quiet character, Bridge has no wish to cause a fuss but, having had such support, may be emboldened to turn his back on a man he once regarded as a friend. The Premier League has not received a request from either club to cancel the ceremonial introductions.

Carlos Tévez, Nigel De Jong and Stephen Ireland wore “Team Bridge” T-shirts under their City shirts during last month’s Premier League win over Portsmouth, but a refusal to take part in pre-match pleasantries would be a more telling show of support.

Feelings are still running high on the issue of Terry’s behaviour towards his former team-mate, even in the Chelsea dressing room, where there is considerable sympathy for Bridge.

The revelation places Ancelotti’s claims that Terry has not been affected by the furore into perspective, although he did concede that the player has not been performing to his best of late.

Indeed the Chelsea manager showed the first signs of impatience at the scrutiny that has surrounded his club over recent weeks.

Terry has spent much of his career shutting out unsavoury personal problems to protect his professional interests, but these separate strands have collided in spectacular fashion since a High Court injunction safeguarding his privacy was overturned four weeks ago.

The 29-year-old’s friendship with Bridge is over, but while his marriage appears to have survived the revelation of an affair with the former girlfriend of his one-time Chelsea team-mate, Terry’s public popularity is at an all-time low.

Being stripped of the England captaincy by Fabio Capello in such a public manner was the source of considerable upset, but Ancelotti insists that the rest of the furore has had no impact on Terry.

“John Terry is still the same in training,” Ancelotti said. “He jokes, he is professional and knows when to joke and when to be professional.

“I’ve never had anything like this in Italy. It’s never happened before. But is it a distraction? I think no way. I don’t know how many people are interested in this — not the players, for sure. It’s only for you people. I’m getting fed up with it. I always said that we’re focused on our players and the job and nothing else.”

Bridge has told Roberto Mancini that he wants to play, despite the prospect of some pantomime jeers from the crowd. The Manchester City manager is more concerned with securing a first win in five matches to lift the pressure he is under — an aim he claimed was also Bridge’s sole objective after the player had announced that he was no longer available for England.

“It was a difficult decision and I don’t know what I would do,” Mancini said. “The handshake is another of his decisions. I respect always what Wayne does.

“Wayne wants to play tomorrow, absolutely, and he is definitely going to play. He has only one motivation — he must play very well for the club, only this.”

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/article7042755.ece

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I'd be very surprised if something doesn't kick off in the game. I pity whoever the referee is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 233 ✭✭Brien

all adds up to good viewing for a neutral

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

kryogen wrote: »
    anyone else think Fabio Capello is secretly quite pleased with Bridges decision?
    I think this has played out perfectly for him, dont think he is bothered. Is any manager worried about their 2nd choice left full? Bigger things to think about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Sheepy99

Yes you are.

You find out your best mate is shagging the mother of your child whom you've only just split up with. Next time you see him you just say "alright mate, whats happening?"
    Next time you see him you punch his head in and ye're even.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

CHD wrote: »
    I think this has played out perfectly for him, dont think he is bothered. Is any manager worried about their 2nd choice left full? Bigger things to think about.

like tryin to find a new CB!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

CHD wrote: »

With Ashley Cole injured, Id say it is worth worrying about, yeah! Although then theres the argument to whether Bridge would be 2nd in line, which JT could find himself if he doesnt cop on - he's been rubbish since all this malarky came out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Archimedez wrote: »
    With Ashley Cole injured, Id say it is worth worrying about, yeah! Although then theres the argument to whether Bridge would be 2nd in line, which JT could find himself if he doesnt cop on - he's been rubbish since all this malarky came out.
    Cole will be back though and Bridge has competition for that LB spot. He might b worried about LB but will be pleased Bridge is gone imo, less **** to deal with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

www.football365.com

Carlos Tevez has blasted John Terry over the allegations surrounding the former England captain's private life.

Wayne Bridge's Manchester City team-mate netted twice in a 4-2 win over Terry's Chelsea at Stamford Bridge last Saturday.

And now he's hit out over Terry's alleged affair with Bridge's ex-girlfriend.

He's quoted in The Sun as saying: "It's complicated to say something about what Terry did to Bridge. I don't think you can do that with the wife of another player.

"It's wrong. In my opinion, Terry has no moral code for what he did to Bridge.

"In my neighbourhood if you do that, you lose your legs, or more - you don't survive."

Tevez squared up to Terry during last Saturday's game, but claims it wasn't as a result of the Bridge furore.

"I didn't fight with Terry because of that," he said.

"I fought with him because he took me by the shirt and I didn't like it. I became furious with him because of that."

The former Manchester United frontman also revealed that he has 'always had problems' with Chelsea midfielder Michael Ballack.

He continued: "I have always had problems with Ballack but, you know, it is just football, not personal issues between us.

"I don't know, maybe he doesn't like me, as I don't like him.

"On the field, I have never understood what he is saying to me, but I am sure he didn't understand me either."

Wasn't sure where to post this. Tevez gives Terry a piece of his mind. Funny stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Tevez is wrong, she isn't and never was, Bridge's wife.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Des wrote: »
    Tevez is wrong, she isn't and never was, Bridge's wife.

In fairness des, you shouldnt have read past this bit.....

"He's quoted in The Sun"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Bridge missed a sitter here, he should have forced Capello's hand on this by stating he cannot play in the WC with JT in the squad... it is either me or Terry.

Hardly much point in him saying that. It would be like be like Peter Crouch saying 'It's either me or Rooney'. Whatever Terry has done off the pitch, on it, at his best, he is more important to England's chances than Bridge. That's the bottom line.

Bridge made the right call. Better for him not to have to share a dressingroom with Terry, and better for the squad as whole not to have that sort of friction in the camp.

Advertisement