Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shotgun Recommendation

Options
  • 25-02-2010 12:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for a recommendation for a shotgun. I need it to control rats, rabbits, crows, etc on my own land (and the farmer next door will give me permission to shoot on his land also). I don't plan on going hunting anywhere.

I've never owned a gun before and I will be applying for my first liecence, if that makes any difference. Second hand would be good also - I don't need to spend a fortune on a gun for my purposes.

Also, any recommendations for a gun safe for my house? - I'd like to keep the little blighter and any cartridges well locked up. It will be my only gun (I know I mightn't have to keep it in a gun safe by law, but I would want to).

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

A single barrel Bakail will cost you in around the 100 mark, great starting off gun.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭patsat

the gun dealer in Cashel is selling a brand called Zafer, Turkish make i think. My brother got a brand new semi- automatic there 350 i think.

Now there was a problem with the gun six months down the line it started to get jammed when reloading but the man at the shop had no problem sending it for repair free of charge.

i wouldn't have recommended this gun because this of it jamming but i have met a few others since who also have the gun and its perfect for them. it would be perfect for your use!

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Tester46

patsat wrote: »
    the gun dealer in Cashel is selling a brand called Zafer, Turkish make i think. My brother got a brand new semi- automatic there 350 i think.

Now there was a problem with the gun six months down the line it started to get jammed when reloading but the man at the shop had no problem sending it for repair free of charge.

i wouldn't have recommended this gun because this of it jamming but i have met a few others since who also have the gun and its perfect for them. it would be perfect for your use!

Thanks for that. Would you reckon I am better getting a brand new cheap brand, or a second hand good brand of shotgun. As I have no problems with buying second hand, I would have thought I'd be better off getting a solid well-recognised brand?

That said, I don't know much about guns, which is why I'm asking for advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

If you are not going to be using it much there is no point is spending big money. You will pick up a good second hand gun for 300 or so. Most lads here will tell you the bakail double barrel was a solid no frills gun that took a lot of abuse, there are the cheaper turkish guns. What i would say is get in touch with the guy who showed you his club membership and ask if you could perhaps have a shot or two some evening with them, see what gun you feel comfortable with and go from there about getting a new/second hand one.It will also get you familiar with local club members, a bit of practice and a few tips as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭sfakiaman

The important thing with a shotgun is that it fits you. There should be a good few s/h guns on the market so try mounting a few to your shoulder and see what comes up on target best. With gun safes, as long as it meets the specs it will be ok but where and how you bolt it to the wall are more important. It should not be visable from a downstairs window, it should be bolted to a solid wall and if bolts come with it throw them out and buy decent ones from your local hardware shop.

PS It's almost as much fun hunting for a new gun as hunting with it. Enjoy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Tester46

homerhop wrote: »
    If you are not going to be using it much there is no point is spending big money. You will pick up a good second hand gun for 300 or so. Most lads here will tell you the bakail double barrel was a solid no frills gun that took a lot of abuse, there are the cheaper turkish guns. What i would say is get in touch with the guy who showed you his club membership and ask if you could perhaps have a shot or two some evening with them, see what gun you feel comfortable with and go from there about getting a new/second hand one.It will also get you familiar with local club members, a bit of practice and a few tips as well.

Good idea, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

If you're looking for a good, dirtcheap workhorse : Baikal S/S. Secondhand it shouldn't cost more than €100-€150.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭daveob007

also try www.sportsden.ie loads of 2nd hand cheapies there,mind you a lot of them look like rubbish.

Advertisement