Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you excited about the re-operning og The Model Arts?

Options
  • 25-02-2010 1:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 44

Are you excited about the new Model? I am, but I wish it was in the centre of town providing a cultural hart to Sligo. Where it can better do it's job of raising the peoples of the Northwest exposure to the arts and there-for helping artists to contiue their practises. This was raised my many people at meetings between the council and artists, when it was in the planing stage but was brushed aside.

I'd be interested to hear what others have to say now the project is almost finished.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭darealtulip

I really don't have clue what this is. What does og mean? Where is it reopening? What is model arts?

I'm not oraginally from around here so genually don't know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭Ronan Keating

No. Sorry. I couldn't care less if the place burned down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭BennyLava

It's the Niland gallery (the old Dept. of Agriculture building on the Mall)

hosts a fine collection of Jack Yeats paintings, used to have a coffee shop and a performance space (hope it still does)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

Looking forward to it http://www.modelart.ie/futuremodel.htm

Hopefully the county museum will be opening at the same time.
    Ive no problem with the location. Its only 1k from O'Connel St. They had the building already (fine building) and I dont think a more central location would warrant the cost.

Should be great for the town

Still what does the og mean in the title?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Shadow78

Judging by the amount of typos og is supposed to be of

Shadow78 wrote: »
    Judging by the amount of typos og is supposed to be of

Oh, LOL sorry:o:o:o:o

And is Model then Modern?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

No. The place actually goes by two names

Used to be the Model Arts Center, and the Model Niland Gallery or something similar

Its definitely a fine building alright and they have had some great gigs in the performance space... it was only renovated recently enough and now its being done again......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Cecil Mor

It's not a kilometer from O'Connell Street, nowhere near a kilometer.
    Yes, looking forward to it of course.

Ah that is what that new building building is. MrsT. is laughing at me now for not knowing what model art is. OK I'm a babarian!

Now know what it is I look forward to it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

Yes, really looking forward to seeing the new space. Sligo needs places like this, for extra curricular activities for young and old, besides the cinema!

Does anyone know what restaurant will be in it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 forgingfool

I don't know but I presumed it would still be the same people as last time. Or maybe I was just hoping that it would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

I was at a comedy gig there a couple of years ago, so I kind of stumbled upon the place by accident. I just hope its not some new gathering place for the pretentious wannabe elite!

I know exactly what you mean. It has sucked up all the arts funding for Sligo so lets hope it lives up to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

Cecil Mor wrote: »
    It's not a kilometer from O'Connell Street, nowhere near a kilometer.

Seems to be about .75k from the centre of O'Connell St. Not quite a K but definately not too far off. Its still central enough, I dont think its location is a a major issue.

T runner wrote: »
    Seems to be about .75k from the centre of O'Connell St. Not quite a K but definately not too far off. Its still central enough, I dont think its location is a a major issue.

Exactly, specially because there is a huge carpark with lots of spaces.

Think it is a great location. Will there be any activities for kids?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

I was at a comedy gig there a couple of years ago, so I kind of stumbled upon the place by accident. I just hope its not some new gathering place for the pretentious wannabe elite!

Who would they be? I'm an art history student and I dislike pretentious art snobs. Dublin is full of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭CityMan2010

Who would they be? I'm an art history student and I dislike pretentious art snobs. Dublin is full of them.

Indeed so, there is only one thing worse than a snob, and thats an arts snob, closely followed by an academic snob...I'll stop there 4 now....

I was excited about the opening until I found out it is going to cost €10 to go to the opening. Do they not think €5,000,000 of public money, which is almost all of the arts funding for the area for the next 5 years, is not enough? You can go to some of the best museums in the world for free regardless of events being organised, but in Sligo you have to pay, pay, and pay again.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 teddybear73

Think the curator or whatever fancy title the arties give themselves has alienated people with his articles in the champion about open spaces and traffic in O Connell street. Jaysus we have hundreds of miles of open spaces in the county. Also not a peep out of him when the controvesy over the name change and the fact they deleted Niland out of the official name was debated in the champion.

• Advertisement
  • Company Representative Posts: 10 Verified rep The Model Sligo

hi all- great to see so many of you are looking forward to the opening - we're dying to be back up and running once again.

Just to clear up a few things- the opening event is the opening of an exhibition called Dorm and it is totally free and doesn't cost €10 so do please come along at 6pm on Saturday if you want a look see. We never charge for openings. We've also got a trailer on vimeo if you want to get a look at it in advance http://www.vimeo.com/10864814

There is a gig that night with Donal Dineen and 5 musicians (Patrick Kelleher, Children Under Hoof, Hunter Gatherer, CatScars and School Tour) which is €10, but that's a heavily subsidised cost and we think a fair one given the amount of musicians involved.

@forgingfool- Hi Michael- access to The Model has always been, and continues to be, totally free of charge, as are as many of our events as we can manage. Our annual funding was cut along with everyone else and it's not possible to do everything for free with the level's of arts funding in Ireland. Unlike galleries in New York or London we don't charge entry to the exhibitions. The funds that paid for the rebuild come from a different place than revenue funding - it was paid for by particular capital funds that can only be used for building things.

@darealtuilp There will be lots of kids events including free weekly worksops- look out for free Sunday workshops from July onwards : http://www.themodel.ie/education/inside-out-outside

@teddybear Seamus did actually write about the name change in The Champion, and in the Irish Independent too. We posted it on our blog back when it was being debated so it's up here: http://sligomodelblog.wordpress.com/2009/06/16/name-change-at-the-model if you missed it at the time?

We sometimes miss things on Boards.ie so if you have any queries for us on anything at all you can catch us on twitter.com/modelsligo or facebook.com/TheModelSligo or on our blog or our main site : http://www.themodel.ie - many of the events accept comments and we try to reply to everything we can- though we're a bit busy this week with the re-opening!

Hope to see you all in Sligo soon. :)

Hi Denise, sorry about that, must of got my wires crossed while trying to navigate the model's website. Maybe it would be a good idea to include the cost of separate events like these in your promotional emails.

I'm aware that there are many funding streams being used to support the gallery, but that dose not change my point that the model uses most of Sligo Councils arts funding.

Good luck with the opening, hope it goes well for you.

• Company Representative Posts: 10 Verified rep The Model Sligo

@forgingfool Hi again Michael, thanks for your comment, it's a good point about our website. Getting feedback like this helps us to determine what works for our audiences, and we'll definitely take note.

Full details on Dorm, our reopening exhibition is available here on the site.

We do hope to see you at The Model in the near future.

Thanks
    D

Advertisement