Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best butcher for buying properly aged steak?

• 25-02-2010 1:24pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi all-

I'm curious where you guys think the best steak is to be had in Dublin? I'm looking to buy meat on the bone which has been properly aged.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭digme

Hi all-

I'm curious where you guys think the best steak is to be had in Dublin? I'm looking to buy meat on the bone which has been properly aged.
    properly aged??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

From wiki...Aged Beef

Dry aged beef is beef that has been hung to dry for several weeks. After the animal is slaughtered and cleaned, either an entire half will be hung, or primal cuts (large distinct sections) will be placed in a cooler. This process involves considerable expense as the beef must be stored at or near freezing temperatures. Also only the higher grades of meat can be dry aged, as the process requires meat with a large, evenly distributed fat content. For these reasons one seldom sees dry aged beef outside of steak restaurants and upscale butcher shops. The key effect of dry aging is the concentration of the flavor. It's generally accepted that the taste of dry-aged beef is almost incomparable to that of wet-aged with four weeks being a recommended minimum.
    The process enhances beef by two means. First, moisture is evaporated from the muscle. This creates a greater concentration of beef flavor and taste. Second, the beef’s natural enzymes break down the connective tissue in the muscle, which leads to more tender beef.
    Dry aging of beef is rare in super-markets in the United States today due to the significant loss of weight in the aging process. It is found in steakhouses and certain restaurants.
    The process of dry-aging usually also promotes growth of certain fungal (mold) species on the external surface of the meat. This doesn't cause spoilage, but actually forms an external "crust" on the meat's surface, which is trimmed off when the meat is prepared for cooking.
    In addition to endogenous enzymes (those found naturally in the beef) which help tenderize and increase the flavor of the meat, these fungal species do so as well. The genus Thamnidia, in particular, is known to produce collagenolytic enzymes which greatly contribute to the tenderness and flavor of dry-aged meat.
    Wet aged beef

Wet-aged beef is beef that has typically been aged in a vacuum sealed bag to retain its moisture. This is the dominant mode of aging beef in the United States today. Wet-aging is popular because it takes less time (typically only a few days) and none of the beef is lost in the process. In contrast, dry-aging can take 15–28 days, and will see up to a third or more of a steak being lost from moisture loss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭ragg

digme wrote: »
    properly aged??

Good steak is hung for a varying amount of days (dependingon cut) before its sold - not the supermarket stuff - it tastes like its basically just slaughtered and wrapped in plastic within a few hours..

Any decent butcher would be glad to ahve a waffle with you about the different cuts of meat etc.. Once you find a good butcher they will sort you out. just stay away from the supermarkets as they're ****e

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭digme

ragg wrote: »
    Good steak is hung for a varying amount of days (dependingon cut) before its sold - not the supermarket stuff - it tastes like its basically just slaughtered and wrapped in plastic within a few hours..

Any decent butcher would be glad to ahve a waffle with you about the different cuts of meat etc.. Once you find a good butcher they will sort you out. just stay away from the supermarkets as they're ****e
    Learn something new every day,I don't think I have ever tasted a steak that has been hung for a few days.Thanks for the insight.Must get me proper a steak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭TechnoPool

Kerrigans down in Baldoyle industrial estate sell 21 day matured fillet steaks if thats any use to you?

tasty enough.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭ragg

you would have in a decent restaurant. I do eat supermarket meat as its handier when busy during the week, but you can really taste the difference in good quality meat from a butchers shop.

With that said, Chops and chicken fillets are much for muchness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

Tony in Rathgar does good aged steaks I think of 21 days. Its the smaller butcher beside the bookshop. They are not cheap but they are excellent. Dont attempt to buy anything from the other butcher in Rathgar. He once sold me a pot roast for the oven.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

superquinns dry aged steaks are delicious not ideal having them vaccum packed and they are expensive but absolutely gorgeous

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭Angry Troll

the brady butcher shop on belvedere road just off dorset street in dublin 1 has a pretty good reputation for beef steak…had one of theirs myself once and thought it was really good…though for practical reasons i usually buy beef steak at fallon&byrne or occasionally at the fresh market…both decent stuff i think…always interested in more recommendations myself…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

What the hell is with all the not-remotely-about-fitness threads today?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

d'Oracle wrote: »

you just added another post to that count! oh wait, so did I :o

probably no mods about to move to more suitable forum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

d'Oracle wrote: »

You should report any posts/ threads that are bothering you and aren't suited to the forum.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

D'Oracle-

Sorry! I guess my question might have (definitley would have) been more appropriate in a food forum, but I guess this is a forum I read / frequent more, and people's diets do get discussed alot.

Thanks for the repsonses. Apologies to the mods if this needs to be moved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

D'Oracle-

Sorry! I guess my question might have (definitley would have) been more appropriate in a food forum, but I guess this is a forum I read / frequent more, and people's diets do get discussed alot.

Thanks for the repsonses. Apologies to the mods if this needs to be moved.

Jesus, don't apologise, I was just remarking as to the unusually high frequency of these threads.

Hell, I'm sorry I couldn't help but I either get all my meat in Glasthule or Delgany. (both of which contain at least one top notch craft butcher!!)

Advertisement