Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

telephone banking and security

• 25-02-2010 1:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭

was looking through this thread and it raised some qs for me so thought id ask them in a new thread if thats ok
    is the imei and ph number logged when using telephone banking

what is the total amount of info logged when using banking by
    1 mobile phone
    2 internet on pc

if neither my ph sim or imei is registered and i access a bank account from them will they be recorded or will they only be recorded if they have been registered with the network.

reason i ask is that if someone knows your account number and your security questions and then accesses your account and transfers money they cant be traced.

you then cant prove you didnt access the account.

should banks insist on only allowing access to telephone banking from 1 account from a registered imei and sim number

should a person use one ph specifically for banking only

which option is safer online or telephone

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

estreetb wrote: »
    was looking through this thread and it raised some qs for me so thought id ask them in a new thread if thats ok
    is the imei and ph number logged when using telephone banking

what is the total amount of info logged when using banking by
    1 mobile phone
    2 internet on pc

if neither my ph sim or imei is registered and i access a bank account from them will they be recorded or will they only be recorded if they have been registered with the network.

reason i ask is that if someone knows your account number and your security questions and then accesses your account and transfers money they cant be traced.

you then cant prove you didnt access the account.

should banks insist on only allowing access to telephone banking from 1 account from a registered imei and sim number

should a person use one ph specifically for banking only

which option is safer online or telephone

They would have no way of knowing the IMEI when one calls phone banking.

If someone (other than you) knows your account/password/security access to your phone/online banking, that's your problem, not the banks, but with AIB (not sure about others) this would not let anyone transfers moneys out of your account to a randon person, since you need a "code card" to set up a new beneficiary to transfer to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭estreetb

They would have no way of knowing the IMEI when one calls phone banking.

If someone (other than you) knows your account/password/security access to your phone/online banking, that's your problem, not the banks, but with AIB (not sure about others) this would not let anyone transfers moneys out of your account to a randon person, since you need a "code card" to set up a new beneficiary to transfer to.

i thought the imei attaches itself to the sim number when you make a call

valid point about personal responsibility regarding paswords but the bank has responsibility too to provide a secure service and not a hlaf baked one

aibs system sounds good

thanks for reply

Advertisement