Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Separate half inch pine boards

Options
  • 25-02-2010 1:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭

I made a winde rack out of pine (i know, i know :eek:) and the nicest bit was 2 cut outs, one a wine bottle, they other a wine glass. A huge amount of work went into making them and staining them. I glued them on to the front of the wine rack with standard wood glue (no clamps, just books on top as the clamps wouldn't work). They weren't glued on to withstand an earthquake as they are just ornamental, but I appreciate wood glue is pretty dam strong!

The cutouts are half inch pine, along with the front of the wine rack. The wine rack has since been dismantled (and burnt believe it or not) but I kept the cutouts to put on a second wine rack (again pine, but much nicer). The cutouts are about 20cm(ish) high and 7cm(ish) wide, in their respective shapes.

Basically I'm trying to separate the cutouts from the original front of the wine rack so I can put them on the new one, but they don't want to come off. NO damage can come to either the wine bottle or glass. Obviously the piece of the original wine rack doesn't matter a sh1te.

Any ideas how to separate them?

Photos linked. I can add others if you want

Wine Rack cutouts

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Meybe find someone with a bandsaw who can slice the cutouts off for you, staying as close to the pine board with the blade as is possible. You'll lose a mm or so of thickness of the cutout, due to the width of the blade though. Otherwise you could slice off most of the pine leaving only a thin sliver which you could then sand off either by hand or using a belt sander afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

not sure if I can get to a band saw tbh...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

I'm guessing the glue line is pretty tight and you can't slide a thin blade or a (broken) hacksaw blade in between the two pieces to try and work them apart? If you have access to a table saw you could try removing the crown guard, setting blade height to just less than thickness of pine board and passing it through several times, ending up with a series of 1/2" "battens" which could be tentatively pulled away from the back of your glass and bottle. The back of each piece could be cleaned up with a chisel and sand paper thereafter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

no table say, only a hand help circular. Were not dealing with a bit workshop here lads! They're pretty tight, the top of the bottle is about half a mil away with no glue. I thought of trying to slide something between them but didn't want to jump the gun, I might give it a go tomorrow. Thinking of trying to chisel the back of, starting vertical and seeing if I ca split the back into pieces? or would that take the cutouts with it..?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

alexlyons wrote: »
    no table say, only a hand help circular. Were not dealing with a bit workshop here lads! They're pretty tight, the top of the bottle is about half a mil away with no glue. I thought of trying to slide something between them but didn't want to jump the gun, I might give it a go tomorrow. Thinking of trying to chisel the back of, starting vertical and seeing if I ca split the back into pieces? or would that take the cutouts with it..?

If you have a workmate or similar method of holding it securely.........maybe attach it to a bench.

And if you are experienced with your circular saw. Set the saw depth a millimetre or two, less than the thicknes of the pine.Secure the side face down on the bench, and do a series of rips into the back, maybe 10mm apart, along the length of the back.

Then insert a wide chisel into the back saw cut, and twist, the rips should split, and finish with a sander or by hand.

SAFETY FIRST

Same method as jack of all, but with the circular saw.

kadman

• Advertisement
Advertisement