Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deep fried mars bars in Dublin?

Options
  • 25-02-2010 2:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭

I thought this was a Glasgow thing but some Swedish people I know are over visiting and have heard that somewhere in Dublin sells deep fried Mars bars. Is this confusion or does such a thing happen in our fair city? :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭smooch71

Thumpette wrote: »
    I thought this was a Glasgow thing but some Swedish people I know are over visiting and have heard that somewhere in Dublin sells deep fried Mars bars. Is this confusion or does such a thing happen in our fair city? :)

Theres a chip van in Moate that sells them (and always sell out of them) but I've never seen them in Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

Chip shop on parnell will deep dry anything IIrc. Pork chop, mars bar you name it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

got one last year on capel street, in a chipper down beside the quays...

was lovely!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Macari in Inchicore do. the one down opposite the bank, like €1.50. Also a chipper in Ringsend that does them, can't remember which one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

Macari in Inchicore do. the one down opposite the bank, like €1.50.

Was just about to post this :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭ghosttown

How would you go about this if you wanted to do one at home ??? Have to change all the chip pan oil I guess ? then what ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Thumpette

Thanks guys, Happy people to hear that! Would anyone have the names of either of the city centre ones? Dont think the guys could find their way to inchicore! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

The Bull and Castle pub at the top of Dame street have it on their dessert menu

They put fruit coulis around it, must be trying to make it healthy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

I think I'm going to be sick!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Dont think the guys could find their way to inchicore! :(

Luas from town to Blackhorse, over the bridge, dead straight for 5 minutes and bam, there's Macari.

The one on Capel St one of the posters mentioned would probably be Fusciardi's. Down near the Quays end of Capel St on the left hand side if you're coming from Parnell Square way.

• Advertisement

Thanks Guys- Boards is the best!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

I dont know how people could eat these regularly. I bought one and could only manage one bite.
    I got it in the chip shop across from the tax office in ballymun.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

Think there was a thread not too long about this, and this blog was mentioned.
    http://comeheretome.wordpress.com/2010/01/15/the-much-doubted-battered-mars-bar/
    How about a Dublin City forum deep fried mars bar meet up? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

I went to a chippers in Belfast once, handed them a mars bar, they didn't bat an eyelid, battered it and fried it for 50p.

I'm sure somewhere in Dublin that does it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

ghosttown wrote: »
    How would you go about this if you wanted to do one at home ??? Have to change all the chip pan oil I guess ? then what ?

make a batter...... dip whatever you want to deep fry in the batter...then deep fry it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

The Bull and Castle pub at the top of Dame street have it on their dessert menu

They put fruit coulis around it, must be trying to make it healthy :)

i read an article in one of the papers about it a few months back, apparantly there is a sliding scale of sophistication towards this......the gourmet would wanna forget about a mars bar.......the curly wurly or a creme egg is apparantly the daddy of deep fried confectionary!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

ghosttown wrote: »

You wouldn't need to change the oil, you're battering the bar first so the chocolate a) never touches the oil b) doesn't melt.

It's quite easy to do, just chill the confectionery of your choice in the fridge beforehand, make up a batter, dip confectionery in batter, then deep fry it:
    http://www.ehow.com/how_2070780_deepfried-mars-bar.html

Not sure about needing let it cool for "several minutes" though.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

the bull and castle at christchurch have it on the menu

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

guilios chipper in edenmore do them

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭bassey

La Costa in Clontarf on the sea front do them aswell.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

You could buy a mars bar and ask them to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Yum.

Would they do a marathon/snickers, I wonder.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

The one I posted about on Capel St was Fusciardi's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

subway wrote: »
    Chip shop on parnell will deep dry anything IIrc. Pork chop, mars bar you name it

Could you be a bit more specific?

I've got a human head that needs deep-frying and I don't want to go to the wrong place:D

Thanks for all the responces. They had one in the Bull and Castle, after having a batter burger somewhere too.

Poor things had a batter overload.

It was an experience for them anyway!

Thanks for all the responces. They had one in the Bull and Castle, after having a batter burger somewhere too.

Poor things had a batter overload.

It was an experience for them anyway!

Good! Fill those Swedes up with our crappy food. Then we can slowly climb the ranks to be the best looking nation :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭DecentBee

What, no spice burger?! Maybe that would have pushed them over the edge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭bluefinger

Borza in Perrystown do it, also moro snickers, the whole gamut of vein clogging tastiness.

4389711336_f93b39a712_m.jpg

Doesn't look too appetising though.

Ugh. Looks like Gonorreah. (seen it in a pic once, before any one asks ;))

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

bluefinger wrote: »
    Doesn't look too appetising though.

I won't be putting it on the mantelpiece. Just scoffing it. :D

Advertisement