Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Return faulty iPod nano to Argos?

Options
  • 25-02-2010 2:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I bought an iPod nano back in September and it seems to be acting up now. Just wondering what the procedure is for returning this to Argos (with receipt) where it was purchased.

I've heard some horror stories about sending ipods to Apple for repair and the customer not being able to get a refund.

Does anybody know if this applies to Argos or do they stick to their no quibble refund policy?

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,925 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Apple have normally insisted that you send them back to Apple for repair, which I presume Argos will do as well. Would the horror stories involve liquid spills or damage caused by the user, because then nobody refunds/repairs. Apple are known to be pretty prompt in the main with iPod/iPhone repairs. Go on to the Apple website and check the troubleshooting steps there, I think you can organise your pwn repair pick up etc. Of course, if Argos will just replace it for you, ignore all the above......:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

techguy wrote: »
    Hi,

I bought an iPod nano back in September and it seems to be acting up now. Just wondering what the procedure is for returning this to Argos (with receipt) where it was purchased.

I've heard some horror stories about sending ipods to Apple for repair and the customer not being able to get a refund.

Does anybody know if this applies to Argos or do they stick to their no quibble refund policy?

Thanks.

depot.info.apple.com/ipod

You dont even need to call them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭techguy

whiterebel wrote: »
    Would the horror stories involve liquid spills or damage caused by the user, because then nobody refunds/repairs.

No, they would be more along the lines of waiting up to 6 months for returned product only to have it break again around 2 months later. Some good adive though, thanks.
    depot.info.apple.com/ipod

You dont even need to call them.

Cool, i'll check that out.

--
    Would you believe I can't find the receipt.. It's just bloody typical I keep "all" my receipts but can never find the one I need.

Oh and: what happened to being entitled to a full redund/replacement in the case of a faulty item?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,925 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

No, they would be more along the lines of waiting up to 6 months for returned product only to have it break again around 2 months later. Some good adive though, thanks.

Cool, i'll check that out.

--
    Would you believe I can't find the receipt.. It's just bloody typical I keep "all" my receipts but can never find the one I need.

Oh and: what happened to being entitled to a full redund/replacement in the case of a faulty item?

You missed the third "R" from the Sale of Goods Act - Repair.

Don't worry about the receipt, go to the APPLE SUPPORT SITE, AND REGISTER THE IPOD. it should give you a warranty expiry date. (Sorry for Caps lock)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

In this case it wouldn't be an automatic entitlement, especially given you have not yet given them the chance to repair the item,

• Advertisement

Cabaal wrote: »
    In this case it wouldn't be an automatic entitlement, especially given you have not yet given them the chance to repair the item,

I thought that in the case of a faulty product i.e. not working as it should. You (consumer) are entitled to a refund/repair/replacement. You get to choose not the manufacturer/retailer?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭whippet

I don't know where you have heard the horror stories about 6 month delays in getting replacement from apple.

Apple's warranty service on ipods is fantatic. I have had about 7 ipods in the last 9 years and of those two had to be replaced under warranty, turn around time was max 3 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Your don't need one, Apple read the Date of Purchase via SAP via the serial number.

In the case of a Hardware failure they generally replace it anyway, unless its a software problem.

Follow the troubleshooting on the site (main one being the software restore) If that doesnt fix it fillout the details on the site and they'll UPS out a box to you to return it in. Turnaround is around week.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

I got a faulty iTouch in Argos last year. When you purchase they tell you it is exempt from their 30 money back gaurantee. That only applies to exchanges without any reason.
    They got a lad it the store to play around with it for 5 minutes , when he could not get it going I was immidiatly offered a replacement or refund.
    I had discussion with solicitor on this issue before & without getting into too much detail he basically said when you purchase a product the contract is between you & the retailer, not the manufacturer. AFAIK you can insist the store look after the Repair/replace or refund. Although they may still be sending off to Apple.
    In my case it may have been Argos going one step further by refunding me instantly & dealing with Apple later.

No Techguy, they have the choice unless you disagree, but the Small Claims Court judge would probably see it as unreasonable not to give them a chance to fix it first.

Apple have always insisted that they would look after repairs etc. TBH, when you hear some of the crap from PC World, Currys, Hardly Normal etc, its not surprising. Only John Lewis in the UK used to look after the Mac products themselves, sending it off for repair, replacement, DOA etc. Apple can be very.very good when it comes to after sales, majority of cases would seem to support that. Of course, you can't keep everyone happy all the time......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

You get to choose not the manufacturer/retailer?

Neither side gets to choose, but one of the 3 must be offered. If they don't offer anything, you can insist (and use the court). You can also refuse what's offered, but you can't force the resolution you want if you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

I thought that in the case of a faulty product i.e. not working as it should. You (consumer) are entitled to a refund/repair/replacement. You get to choose not the manufacturer/retailer?

You are entitled to a refund for the first 30 days after purchase, after that it's up to the supplier whether they offer a repair , replacement (which could be a refurb) or a refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Redpunto

had the same problem and was going in insisting that i get a replacement from argos but they refused saying it has to be sent back to apple. I wasn't happy in in fairness they sent me out a new one about 2 weeks after.

whippet wrote: »
    I have had about 7 ipods in the last 9 years and of those two had to be replaced under warranty, turn around time was max 3 days.

LOL, what does that say about the quality of iPods ??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

The Muppet wrote: »
    You are entitled to a refund for the first 30 days after purchase, after that it's up to the supplier whether they offer a repair , replacement (which could be a refurb) or a refund.

That 30 day thing is only an Argos shop policy used to improve customer service, it is not a statutory entitlement but could be considered part of the sales contract . Your legal entitlement to repair/replace/refund is valid from the moment you buy the product and lasts for the reasonable life of the product or 6yrs (whichever is less).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

you can also insist on dealing exclusively with argos who will most likely take the ipod for what they call 24hour testing where one of their more technical staff will try to fix it using the apple website and the restore procedures, usually if they cant fix it during this time they will offer a replacement or refund.

they will most likely try to insist on you going through apple who could give you a refurbished ipod but you have the right to deal only with argos as your contract of sale is with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

The Muppet wrote: »

Maybe you're referring to the Argos shop policy

Consumer law does not specify a 30 day period. You are entitled to a refund/replacement/repair which is mutually agreed between you and the retailer. They must offer one. You can reject it, but must have a reasonable reason for doing so. You cannot demand one option over another without justifiable reason.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

LOL, what does that say about the quality of iPods ??

7 iPods out of choice and two experienced a technical problem, tbh thats not that bad,

Given the type of usage and throwing around they get

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

slimjimmc wrote: »
    That 30 day thing is only an Argos shop policy used to improve customer service, it is not a statutory entitlement but could be considered part of the sales contract . Your legal entitlement to repair/replace/refund is valid from the moment you buy the product and lasts for the reasonable life of the product or 6yrs (whichever is less).

Most manufacturers have their own DOA policy, if it fails within this it will usually be replaced. Outside will be repaired or replaced with a repaired unit/new unit
    Cabaal wrote: »
    7 iPods out of choice and two experienced a technical problem, tbh thats not that bad,

Given the type of usage and throwing around they get

28% failure rate! doesn't sound great to me

Could depend how he uses it, it hardly represents all iPods.

I've had 6 iPods over the years and not one problem with them, I know another 5 people with an iPod each with no problems ever experienced.

0% failure rate

• Advertisement

Most manufacturers have their own DOA policy, if it fails within this it will usually be replaced. Outside will be repaired or replaced with a repaired unit/new unit

220 million+ sales - I think we'd have heard about it if there was a 28% failure rate? In my house we have an iPhone, 3 iPod Touches, a 30Gb 3G, a Mini and a shuffle. The 30GB needed its battery changing for the second time recently, but it is 7 years old now. The others have been flawless to date, touch wood.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭whippet

the two ipods out of the seven that went back,

One was a 60gb 2nd generation that was nearly two years old and the battery life was diminishing, I chanced my arm and they replaced it under warranty without looking for a proof of purchase and the other one was a 16GB ipod touch that just froze.

I still have a first gen 2gb Nano that is plugged in to my VW car ipod connection 24hours a day, this is still working perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 nolanbrian

As a Argos employee, i can tell you that because it is an ipod and it has memory it is expempt from the 30 day money back garentee. This is the case with certain items, for hygenic reasons and security reasons, examples of this would be earrings, hair products, health products, batterys, bulbs, games, hard drives, pen drives, etc. other rules in order to get a refund is, it must be in a unopened, unused condition in its original packaging, so it may be sold again

Now, assuming you have a receipt, you may return faulty goods for a period of one year, under argos general garentee, this may be increased by 3 years if you opt to pay extra for insurance.

In the cases of returning faulty goods within one year, we offer a replacement or if no replacement is available we would give you a gift card to that value or an item for equal value.

In the case of all ipods and nintendo DS, these are sent to england to be repaired, not by Apple but a separate company that fixes ipods and DS's, this service is fairly satisfactory and only refuses to do repairs if found to be water damaged or other user-caused damage, repairs usually takes about two weeks.

Hope this helps!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

nolanbrian wrote: »
    As a Argos employee, i can tell you that because it is an ipod and it has memory it is expempt from the 30 day money back garentee. This is the case with certain items, for hygenic reasons and security reasons, examples of this would be earrings, hair products, health products, batterys, bulbs, games, hard drives, pen drives, etc. other rules in order to get a refund is, it must be in a unopened, unused condition in its original packaging, so it may be sold again

Now, assuming you have a receipt, you may return faulty goods for a period of one year, under argos general garentee, this may be increased by 3 years if you opt to pay extra for insurance.

In the cases of returning faulty goods within one year, we offer a replacement or if no replacement is available we would give you a gift card to that value or an item for equal value.

In the case of all ipods and nintendo DS, these are sent to england to be repaired, not by Apple but a separate company that fixes ipods and DS's, this service is fairly satisfactory and only refuses to do repairs if found to be water damaged or other user-caused damage, repairs usually takes about two weeks.

Hope this helps!!

this argos one year period is wrong as the customer has rights which allow them to return the product to argos for up to 6 years.

also giving a gift card is NOT the same as a refund and can be reasonably refused by a customer.

argos must repair replace or refund the same as any other shop/company operating within the state!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

foggy_lad wrote: »
    this argos one year period is wrong as the customer has rights which allow them to return the product to argos for up to 6 years.

They have the right to seek redress with 6 years. However, this doesn't mean that every product has to last 6 years - a product has to last a reasonable amount of time (for a product of that type).

Advertisement