Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USA Diversity Visa Lotto

Options
  • 25-02-2010 2:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭

Hi, i've read about this before, and entered it once before back in 2008. Just wondering if there is much chance of success with it. I know it's a lottery but hopefully the odds are somewhat better than the rehad or euromillions variety. Has anyone here one a DV through the lotto or know of someone who has?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

I know several people who won it, butI think your chances vary widely each year, depending on how many people apply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Pete4779

JonnyF wrote: »
    Hi, i've read about this before, and entered it once before back in 2008. Just wondering if there is much chance of success with it. I know it's a lottery but hopefully the odds are somewhat better than the rehad or euromillions variety. Has anyone here one a DV through the lotto or know of someone who has?

I won it, but didn't bother taking it up even after sending in all the stuff for the interview. You have a chance of roughly 1 in 200. Go for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

Mind me asking why you didn't pursue it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Pete4779

Entered only as it was on my mind at the time, but much better opprotunities have come up in UK and rest of EU for me since then. Plus I could only see quality of life, etc., going down in the US on listening to friends there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Ireland have got about 200 of the visas each year for the last few years.

So it all depends on how many applicants there are. 1 in 200 chance would suggest 40,000 applicants.

They release the info on how many visas were issued to countries in previous years but not the number of applications from that country as far as I know.

So where the 1 in 200 came from in the post above I'm not sure but it could be fairly accurate.

• Advertisement
Advertisement