Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

share your shutter count

• 25-02-2010 2:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭

Just ran a test on my 20D and saw that there was 13,000 shutter actuations :eek:

I used the technique as described here

shutter count test

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

swingking wrote: »
    Just ran a test on my 20D and saw that there was 13,000 shutter actuations :eek:

I used the technique as described here

shutter count test

There's a post about 2/3rds of the way down that thread which seems to indicate that the method is complete bunkum. All it does is give you whatever the current file number is that it appends to the filename.

This one .. http://www.flickr.com/groups/canon20d/discuss/72157594389608272/#comment72157594445107364

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 227 ✭✭Paddysnapper

This applies to certain Canon cameras only....For general shutter counts, download Opanda exif...freeware.

This will not give readings on P&S or bridge cameras. Only cameras with shutters need apply:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

This applies to certain Canon cameras only....For general shutter counts, download Opanda exif...freeware.

This will not give readings on P&S or bridge cameras. Only cameras with shutters need apply:)

erm... how exactly do you use the exif viewer to see the shutter count?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

the exif viewer plugin for firefox shows you...
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/3905

Install it, then you can right click on a picture online and select 'view exif data', and shutter count is listed under 'total number of shutter releases for this camera' (This is for Nikon, might be different for other cameras)

For instance you can see mine here:
    http://pix.ie/hughwphamill/1524875/size/0/in/album/369804

and see that, when that picture was taken I had:
    Total Number of Shutter Releases for Camera = 9232

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Install it, then you can right click on a picture online and select 'view exif data', and shutter count is listed under 'total number of shutter releases for this camera' (This is for Nikon, might be different for other cameras)

Doesn't seem to work for Canon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Kbeg3

My 2 year old D300 is close to 40000 now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Dara Robinson

my old Olympus E1 which is 5 or 6 years old at this stage has around 6k

My 3 month old Nikon D700 is over 5k already lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

Kbeg3 wrote: »

Mine has ~9.5k....must get using it more! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Mensch Maschine

Not sure about shutter count but I recently moved all my RAWs over to another drive and theirs over 10,000 since about 2006/7 which breaking it down is that much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

Circa 50K for 2 year old D3....remember reading a guy with a 6 month old D3 had it up to 300k already without a hitch....nice to hear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 fizzoo12

I have a Nikon d200, looks like specks of dust in the viewfinder but when I load the photos and look closely I can't see any of these when blown up.
    Did anyone come across this probem ?

anyone selling a nikon lens 18 -70 mm ?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

i checked tis a few years back and was over 30k... afraid to check now

fizzoo12 wrote: »
    I have a Nikon d200, looks like specks of dust in the viewfinder but when I load the photos and look closely I can't see any of these when blown up.
    Did anyone come across this probem ?

anyone selling a nikon lens 18 -70 mm ?

Dust may be on the mirror....it's not on the sensor if you can't see the dust bunnies on the images. I got some on my D300 and removed it easily enough with the aid of a rocket blower. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Last I checked the d200 was about 36,000 that was around November so I'd say given it is my second camera it shouldnt be more than 40k. Mind the d300 has had a lot of use lately, couldnt imagine what it would be.

Argh, just checked, my d300 has gotten 6,000 actuations since I bought it in september, mind I thought it would have been more. Bought from eas with 6,600 so less than 13k isnt bad really.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 fizzoo12

Nforce wrote: »
    Dust may be on the mirror....it's not on the sensor if you can't see the dust bunnies on the images. I got some on my D300 and removed it easily enough with the aid of a rocket blower. :)

What the hell is a rocket blower

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

fizzoo12 wrote: »
    What the hell is a rocket blower

blows air to dislodge dust off sensor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Slidinginfinity

Rocket blower

D90 less than a year: Shutter Actuations: 8151

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

I'm not sure I want to know..

Rocket blower

D90 less than a year: Shutter Actuations: 8151

I have one of those but havent used it, do you do open the camera as if you are doing a sensor cleanign and just blow it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

Kbeg3 wrote: »

:) I'm about 23000, D300, 18 months old - I do a lot of time-lapse and beauty photoshoots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

No shutter count for pictures from my 5D. Well, it is maybe good.

I have one of those but havent used it, do you do open the camera as if you are doing a sensor cleanign and just blow it?

Yep...hold the camera body with the lens connection facing towards the ground so that any dislodged dust can fall out of it. A few blasts should do it.:)

Nforce wrote: »
    Yep...hold the camera body with the lens connection facing towards the ground so that any dislodged dust can fall out of it. A few blasts should do it.:)

Thanks, I'm very nervous of going near my sensor but I do have some specs on my d200.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Slidinginfinity

Haven't cleaned the sensor yet, but the blower came in very handy dusting out my older film gear. I also use it blow dust off of my lenses before wiping.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭DK32

This is probably a lot easier and less trouble for Canon users.
    http://astrojargon.net/EOSInfo.aspx
    Will this show the SHUTTER COUNT on my 1D*/5D/10D/20D/30D/40D/50D/300D/350D/400D/450D/500D/1000D?
    The shutter count information is available *only* on Canon DIGIC III/IV DSLRs *except* the 1D* series. This means that EOSInfo will display the shutter counter for the 40D, the 50D, the 450D, 500D, and the 1000D. It will also show the shutter counter for the 5DMkII, but the camera must be power-cycled before the value is updated. The shutter counter will not be displayed (or will be displayed as "0") on the 1D*, 5D, 10D, 20D, 30D, 300D, 350D, and 400D. It's not that I have anything against the owners of those cameras, but simply that the Canon SDK does not support retrieving the shutter count for them. UPDATE (08/06/2009): Apparently, Canon has removed the facility for checking the shutter count on the 500D.

Works perfectly on my 5DmkII. It's accurate too with just over 10000 since end of August '09

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

No idea - I know the EOS-30D I left with my wife in America was well above 20k.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

You all may have 10's of thousands in your shutter count but how many good photos were taken? ::rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,502 ✭✭✭✭Victor

15,000 in 3 years with a Sony Cybershot that died. :(

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

DK32 wrote: »
    This is probably a lot easier and less trouble for Canon users.
    http://astrojargon.net/EOSInfo.aspx

Brill. Works a treat on the 40D.
    My shutter count is 12018. The chap I bought it from last November said there was 10k so he was spot on.

Added : just pressed the shutter and it went up to 12019

• Advertisement
Advertisement