Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I need to convert 16mm film to DVD

Options
  • 25-02-2010 2:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭

Don't know if I am on the correct forum here. I have 2 metal cannisters containing 16mm film taken by a relation between 1964 and 1967 in West Cork. They appear to be in very good condition and would be interested in converting them to DVD or other contempory type format. I am Cork/Limerick area and would like to find someone with the means to do this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

I'm gonna move this to audio vidoe editing they might know more about this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

do you have any equipment to play them on? If so I can record them to DVD

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭JayzuzHowiye

is it microfiche? company i work for converts microfiche to digital images. 16mm or 35mm. www.scanning.ie for info etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭Dermo123

Tallon wrote: »
    do you have any equipment to play them on? If so I can record them to DVD

I am afraid I do not. I would need a projector that plays 16mm film or contact an organisation that has access to this equipment. There is about 300 feet of film in each container, not sure how long in minutes that would be but I am sure the time would be a factor in cost of doing this.

is it microfiche? company i work for converts microfiche to digital images. 16mm or 35mm. www.scanning.ie for info etc.

Are you refering to still images here? What I have are two home movie reels of film recorded in the 1960's. Can the company you work for convert these to a a modern digital medium?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 Goblindancer

Hi there,

If I understand your question correctly, you need to get then telecined.

To the best of my knowledge, there are only two places in Ireland where this can be done professionally - screenscene & Windmill lane (google them). They can put them onto digibeta or mini dv tape & you can then make a dvd from that. But do a search - you'd never know who you may find doing it....

If you can get hold of an appropriate projector, you could do it yourself, but doesn't sound like you have access to that.

The other option is to send them away. There are other labs in britain, holland, germany etc that do this and may be more reasonable in cost. e.g http://www.filmlondon.org.uk/content.asp?CategoryID=925. A quick search will turn up more options.

That sounds fantastic - what you have - I'd love to see it!!!!! Good luck with it

Hi there,

If I understand your question correctly, you need to get then telecined.

To the best of my knowledge, there are only two places in Ireland where this can be done professionally - screenscene & Windmill lane (google them). They can put them onto digibeta or mini dv tape & you can then make a dvd from that. But do a search - you'd never know who you may find doing it....

If you can get hold of an appropriate projector, you could do it yourself, but doesn't sound like you have access to that.

The other option is to send them away. There are other labs in britain, holland, germany etc that do this and may be more reasonable in cost. e.g http://www.filmlondon.org.uk/content.asp?CategoryID=925. A quick search will turn up more options.

That sounds fantastic - what you have - I'd love to see it!!!!! Good luck with it

In fact I have it on DVD as of today (Cork Film Services), fantastic footage about 15 minutes of various family members in their Sunday best in the 1960's. Shots of Dublin Airport, De La Salle College Waterford, Cork city, Skibbereen, Baltimore, Tragumna, Timoleague, Clonakilty, Ballydehob, Schull, Barley Cove, Mizenhead, Bantry, Glengarriff, Kenmare, Kildare, Curragh Camp, Athy.
    There is no sound and what would make it more watchable would to have a sound track to accompany it, like in Reeling in the Years. Is this something I can add easily? Music from the sixties would suffice and would tie it in perfectly.
    Perhaps I should start a new thread on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Goblindancer

Hi Dermo123,

That's interesting that you got it done there. I didn't know that.

So, to put on a soundtrack, you'll need a video editing program.
    You'll need to get a tape of the footage (they'd had to have made a tape & hopefully haven't dumped it!) OR a rip of your dvd into a useable file format for your editing program...import the footage & then add your soundtrack & reencode to dvd.

If that all sounds like too much trouble, I could recommend a chat with Chris Hurley of Cork Film Centre. He'd probably be able to help you out with all that/recommend someone who could help.

I'm so jealous!!!Lucky you having all that great footage. Best of luck with it.

Advertisement