Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Geography Project Topic Confusion

Options
  • 25-02-2010 2:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭

Yesterday, our Geography teacher said that one of the topics for our investigation had been changed. Now, we've done an investigation on Geomorphic Processes of Erosion In A Fluvial Environment and we have most of it written up. Our teacher has said that she received a letter which said that the title had been changed to processes of DEPOSITION. This means that basically we have to re-do our investigation, which our teacher isn't willing to do. She wants us to manipulate erosion to be deposition :rolleyes:

I looked up the examinations.ie website earlier, and the Projects PDF still says EROSION. Can anyone add anything here?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

It sounds really unlikely that they would have done that, especially at this late stage. I have the official 2010 booklet (doing my write-up at the moment) and it definitely says Erosion, not Deposition.

Is it possible that she was talking about next year's topics?

You could ring or e-mail the SEC - just to be sure (it's 20% of the exam, which is possibly 20 CAO points!).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Doubt they'd have done that. Changing it at this stage of the year would be ludicrous and there'd definetly be a massive upcry. I'd ask the teacher again and clarify, and email the SEC as Timbuk2 said before I'd change anything...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Its every second year between erosion and deposition, and I did mine in 08 and it was erosion. So erosion is correct, your teacher must have gotten mixed up between 2010 and 2011. The 2011 topic is "Geomorphic processes of transportation and/or deposition in a fluvial or coastal environment" .The 2010 topics were sent to your teacher in October 2008, there is no way they would change it now, as many schools would do the project in fifth year to get it done

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

That's what we all thought. Yeah, the 2011 one is exactly what she called out. Most people are after changing their projects now... :rolleyes:

Healium wrote: »
    That's what we all thought. Yeah, the 2011 one is exactly what she called out. Most people are after changing their projects now... :rolleyes:
    What an eejit...how on Earth would he/she have thought they'd changed? Well...aren't you the lucky one to have boards to help out. :P

• Advertisement

jumpguy wrote: »
    What an eejit...how on Earth would he/she have thought they'd changed? Well...aren't you the lucky one to have boards to help out. :P

I'm one of about 3 people in the class that refused to believe her :D

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭monaghanmissus

Sorry to butt in.. Anyone know the closing date for the projects?

Did you tell the teacher she was wrong?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,229 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Sorry to butt in.. Anyone know the closing date for the projects?

30th April.
    See http://examinations.ie/exam/LC_Practical_EV_final.pdf
    Schools may have earlier local dates to allow for double checking stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭monaghanmissus

spurious wrote: »
    30th April.
    See http://examinations.ie/exam/LC_Practical_EV_final.pdf
    Schools may have earlier local dates to allow for double checking stuff.

Thanks spurious!

• Advertisement

She is still claiming that the topic is changed. Apparently she produced a letter today that looked like she typed up herself. Is anybody else doing this project? Double class tomorrow and she'll try and make me change it. I got home late today and the Dept. Of Ed offices were closed

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

Good lord!

Did you show her a print out of what Spurious linked to/what's on your booklet? With teachers as unorganised as this it's no wonder that they get abuse... it's a minority of course, but it's that minority that stick out.

dambarude wrote: »
    Good lord!

Did you show her a print out of what Spurious linked to? With teachers as unorganised as this it's no wonder that they get abuse... it's a minority of course, but it's that minority that stick out.

We questioned her today and she went mad haha

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

She is still claiming that the topic is changed. Apparently she produced a letter today that looked like she typed up herself. Is anybody else doing this project? Double class tomorrow and she'll try and make me change it. I got home late today and the Dept. Of Ed offices were closed

Seriously, if she continues about it, go to your principal - the whole class will lose the 20% because it is on the wrong topic. This is too important to be f**king around with in fairness!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,229 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I will ask my Geography colleague today and let you know what she says.
    Just to be sure - this is for the 2010 exam?

Yep :)

OK - 100% sure - 2010 field study is erosion.

There are other options for investigations, but between deposition and erosion, this year is erosion.

You try telling our teacher that ;) Thanks for that! Not changing my project. Pity the rest of the class have changed theirs. Extra work on them now

Heh,she did actually have a genuine letter from the department about it being deposition. I'll upload a pic later

Heh,she did actually have a genuine letter from the department about it being deposition. I'll upload a pic later

I saw one in our school too, but it had 2009 on the top of it.
    The SEC may have already sent out the 2011 letters, but definitely 2010 is erosion.

• Advertisement

Here :)
    http://twitpic.com/169qe5
    Guess the Department fecked up. That was an official letter on the back

Here :)
    http://twitpic.com/169qe5
    Guess the Department fecked up. That was an official letter on the back

Mystery solved! Your teacher is wrong, that letter was incorrectly issued with a circular. She needs to check the official letter because the one that you have is the S72/09 circular. There was a clarification circular sent to schools S85/09 which states

"An incorrect list of 2010 Topics inadvertently issued with circular S72/09. Care should be taken to ensure that the List of Prescribed Topics for 2010 is provided to candidates sitting the 2010 Leaving Certificate examination only. The list of Prescribed Topics for 2010 is as follows:

1. Geomorphic processes of erosion in a fluvial or coastal or glaciated environment.
    2. Geomorphic underground processes in a karst environment.
    3. Demographic change in a local setting.
    4. Management of a local environmental issue.
    5. Traffic patterns in a rural or urban setting.
    6. Changing land-use in a local setting."

For the sake of your class, print off this document that I'll have linked and show it to her tomorrow http://examinations.ie/schools/S_85_09_LC_Geography_Prescribed_Topics_2010.pdf

Advertisement