Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noob - Siskin & Blue Tit?

Options
  • 25-02-2010 2:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭

I got some bird feeders before xmas, and it's taken some time for the locals to get used to them! :)

I've started to watch out for them, and think I'm getting to know what the heck they are, but could do with some help. If you don't mind, I'd like to post a few pics, and see if I'm right, or if you can correct me???

I've managed to hang a peanut feeder in a suitable position to get a decent shot.

Are these guys Siskins????

106166.JPG

106167.JPG

I'm sure this is a Blue Tit, right?

106168.JPG

106169.JPG

It's great to watch the various birds that come to the feeders, only thought about taking some pictures today, but I hope to get some more soon. Too blinking cold to get any more today! Any advice on getting better pictures is also welcome.

TIA

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Yes and Yes and Excellant Photos!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

Thanks for the quick reply! :D

I used to watch birds when I was a kid, and my Dad knew all of them, so I'm only working from memory.

Ok, so that's two off my list, I'll try to get some more over the weekend. I usually have a flock of birds at the Nyger seed, but I'm out since yesterday, and wont be able to get some more until tomorrow night :mad:

There is one bird I really am puzzeled over, I just haven't a clue. It's about the same size as a Siskin, but mainly a brown colour, with lighter tan brown lines on it's back, but it's face and head seem a bluey/gray colour?

I know that's a miserable discription :o
    I'll try to get a picture over the weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

mrmac wrote: »

You're right. It is! :p

Look up a Dunnock - but that's just a first guess from your miserable description.

:D

A Dunnock?

/quick google...

Could be! Best if I get a picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭gzoladz

Out of curiosity, where do you hang your feeder? I am trying to find a smarter place for mine. At the moment I have them hanging from a three about 6mts away of the window, a little too far for pics and watching.

• Advertisement

gzoladz wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, where do you hang your feeder? I am trying to find a smarter place for mine. At the moment I have them hanging from a three about 6mts away of the window, a little too far for pics and watching.

I have 3 bird feeding stations in my back garden. It's not a big garden, but it has a big sycamore, some ash, beech, and holly growing at the back. They're on a pointy pole which you just stick into the ground. Very easy to setup. Aldi had something similiar a few weeks ago, but I think you can get them handy enough. Altantic Homecare has some too.

The stations look a bit like this:

106217.jpg

... although mine are not as fancy! They were reduced to £8 each in B&Q in NI.

I have two at the back of the garden, and one just over 6 feet away from my patio door. I can sit and watch them very easily from here. The pics I got, above, was by opening the patio door about 10" and placing the camera on a tripod. Whenever a likely lad arrived, I'd just have to push the button, as the camera was already zoomed and in focus.

They'll scarper if the spot too much movement, so you have to be all Ninja Cat like!

HTH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭1squidge

Thanks for the quick reply! :D

I used to watch birds when I was a kid, and my Dad knew all of them, so I'm only working from memory.

Ok, so that's two off my list, I'll try to get some more over the weekend. I usually have a flock of birds at the Nyger seed, but I'm out since yesterday, and wont be able to get some more until tomorrow night :mad:

There is one bird I really am puzzeled over, I just haven't a clue. It's about the same size as a Siskin, but mainly a brown colour, with lighter tan brown lines on it's back, but it's face and head seem a bluey/gray colour?

I'll try to get a picture over the weekend.
    Also they could be linnets, They look similar to your description.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭gzoladz

Whenever a likely lad arrived, I'd just have to push the button, as the camera was already zoomed and in focus.

They'll scarper if the spot too much movement, so you have to be all Ninja Cat like!

Ah, that's the trick for the photo, thanks.

My 4 feeders are hanging from trees. There are a few in my garden so I dont really need the station. But I did buy a bird bath from Lidl a few weeks ago and the good news is that today I saw a Robin using it first time. He actually spent 2-3 minutes having a bath, really nice to see :)

Advertisement