Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick County's Image of Limerick City

Options
  • 25-02-2010 2:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭

As a city man, who now lives in County Limerick, I have noticed from chatting to most of my new work mates and drinking mates that people in the county tend to want nothing to do with Limerick City. They see it as a blight on the county. They think being from County Limerick, people in places like Cork/Galway/Dublin assume your a city person and then assume your a "scobe"
    County people resent this, and blame the city for it.

Would you agree lads? Dont worry about offending me here. All I want is honst opinions. Even if you hate Limerick City and City people, i wont take it personally atall.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭dave 27

I think if all county Limerick people think that about the city, and are worried about what the media have done to the mindsets of other people across the country then i think they are quite shallow.

people in the city are no different to anyone living in the country, op if the people in the county know that u came from the city then they either secretly hate you because you are a "city" boy and if for some reason they like you because you now are a "county" boy then its the biggest load of bol!ox!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

I moved to the county to get away from the city. I would not live there. Every suburb is gone the same way with antisocial behavior taking over. I had an attempted break in to the house one night while we were in there and had windows put in in the car etc.

Prefer country living anyway but would not live in the city again. Feel much safer in the county. In terms of image, the impression I have of Limerick City is from actually living there, and its not a great one TBH. While there are great aspects to the city and a lot of great people who live there, I would never live there again (then again I would say the same for all cities in Ireland).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Bit in the middle here. I am in the suburbs but technically in the county, but i have noticed there are a few places in the county that wouldnt make me proud of being the county, Pete I am sure you have noticed that there a lot of scobes living in the county that wouldnt be from the city?

I have no problem with Limerick City (just the morons that are running it and driving it into the ground). Its our city and we should be proud of it. after all, its where Thomond Park is!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

I used to love Limerick city but I dont' think its the same way it used to be. Personally,for me its got nothing to do with the 'scobes' but because there is sweet f*ck all to do in there except shopping.

Since Cafe Java's closed I have no reason to go in there in the evening time.I don't really like the pubs and clubs there as I don't find people at alll friendly in them, as Limerick city can be very cliqueish.

I used to always defend Limerick city when people were slating it years ago but now I don't so much. To me Im not suprides theres anti social behaviouras there nothing to do except drink,no public facilities and nothing for young people to do.

I find that you can instill more fear in a person by telling them that you are from Newcastle West than from Limerick city.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

As a city man, who now lives in County Limerick, I have noticed from chatting to most of my new work mates and drinking mates that people in the county tend to want nothing to do with Limerick City. They see it as a blight on the county. They think being from County Limerick, people in places like Cork/Galway/Dublin assume your a city person and then assume your a "scobe"
    County people resent this, and blame the city for it

Would you agree lads? Dont worry about offending me here. All I want is honst opinions. Even if you hate Limerick City and City people, i wont take it personally atall.
    This.

I'll admit i do get annoyed when i tell people im from Limerick, and i get the 'knife and knacker' jibes. They always assume i mean the city and i do resent this a little. Lately i just say i'm from West Limerick and i don't get any jibes at all. I work in the city at weekends and have to deal with scumbags on a regular basis, so to be quite frank, i wouldn't be the city's biggest fan. I have great time for the honest and decent folk in the city, im quite fond of Mayorstone/Caherdavin area where my aunt lives but unfortunately for every one decent area in the city, there is one bad area to match it. The scumbags (and the corporation) have taken the enjoyment out of the city. Even areas like Dooradoyle, which were reasonably nice up to recently, are starting to get quite unsociable at night as the scum is rehoused out of the ghetto areas.

And to answer a point made by dave 27, that city people are no different from country people, i think he is wrong in that assertion. Some city folk never even travel outside the city's bounds, I've worked with guys who didn't even know where kilmallock or newcastle west was! Ask your average Moyross person to name a Limerick hurler and he'll probably be unable to do so but he could probably name all the Shannon rugby team! Different interests, different areas, different people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭dave 27

the cities suburbs are in county limerick so technically the people living in parts of corbally, the 25,000 living in the raheen area and the 32,000 living in the castletroy area are still county people, doesnt matter if there is anti social behaviour there..its still county limerick, infact limerick city because of its small boundary is very much a minority in its own right size wise

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

I have lived in what I consider to be Limerick city for almost 10 years having originally grown up in Abbeyfeale. Even though I grew up in the county I till consider Limerick to be MY city. I know there are bad things going on there but I always feel a certain amount of pride when it does well and I feel a need to stick up for it when people bad mouth it. To be being from the city or county doesn't really matter. I consider myself to be from Limerick and I am glad that I am. They are all one home to me. It pisses me off when I see things going wrong. I don't feel the same about other counties or cities. I think the sooner we stop creating divisions between city and county the stronger we will be. In my mind I see no divisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭girlwitcurls

I find that you can instill more fear in a person by telling them that you are from Newcastle West than from Limerick city.

nearly fell off my chair laughing!!
    people generally say really when i say i live in newcastle and are shocked because im not wearing trackies and tackies!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

nearly fell off my chair laughing!!
    people generally say really when i say i live in newcastle and are shocked because im not wearing trackies and tackies!!
    I'm in a similar situation. I live in Croagh, but not everyone outside the county will have heard of it. So instead i'll usually say i live near Rathkeale (people expect me to start selling them suites of furniture) or near Adare (people tell me i'm not posh enough to come from Adare) :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭girlwitcurls

not posh enough for adare!!its such bull!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

grenache wrote: »
    I'm in a similar situation. I live in Croagh, but not everyone outside the county will have heard of it. So instead i'll usually say i live near Rathkeale (people expect me to start selling them suites of furniture) or near Adare (people tell me i'm not posh enough to come from Adare) :D

I also come from a small County Limerick Parish, unfortunately sometimes People have not heard of it - so instead I tell them I come from somewhere I am not from - Like Las Vegas......

Advertisement