Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accounting

Options
  • 25-02-2010 2:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭

Hi

Hoping someone can advise me on this.

I really want to qualify as an accountant but I'm not too sure on the way around it.

From what I understand, it's generally a 3 year course where you will obtain your FE's (I think this is the qualification)

I was also told that you need to have 3 year Accounts working experience. Can someone explain this?

Can this be done simultaneously as in study while working in an Accounts Dept? Does it need to be a specific accounts area?

Also where offers the best course / opportunity to pursue this. I obviously want a qualification that is recognisable.

Is there any way to acheive this sooner? I guess I have basic understanding of accounting but am prepared to work towards acheiving this and would like to do this in the shortest space of time.

I'm just at a loss with where to look, where offers recognisable qualifications, how to get the experience - Do any companies offer paid training packages, where you work and study accounting with them.

Thanks a lot!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 49 AB1980!

You would be better posting this in the Accounting forum under the Biz tab at the top of the screen but for starters:

-there are several well recognised professional bodies, ACCA, ICAI, CIMA, etc. They all have different requirements so goggle them and you will get more info. They also have different ways of studying. ICAI run the course and the exams, ACCA just run the exams and lots of private colleges (BPP, DBA, Independent) run the course to prepare you for them

- you asked about working and studying. Unless you have a business or specifically accounting degree or masters which would exempt you from some or all the exams yes you are going to be doing it simultaneously. Some companies will actully make it a condition of your contract that you get the exams. In these cases you will get financial support and study leave and stuff like that.

-unless you have exemptions to start with then the exams will take you 3 years at least, whichever body you go with. So you will get your 3 years experience in that time. Each body has a list of competencies you must have achieved in the 3 years. These are pretty broad. However I know lots of people who qualified after 3 years working in very specific areas in large firms who somehow managed to fluff their applications, so I wouldn't worry too much about that at this point.

Advertisement