Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minimum baton thickness for double slabbing plasterboard?

• 25-02-2010 3:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,179 ✭✭✭✭

Hey,

I'm about to double slab (with 12.5mm soundbloc) the parity wall in my semi-d.
    Previously it was single slab dot and dabbed on, but since Im double slabbing (and the soundbloc boards are heavier than standard) I wanted to baton.
    I dont want to use standard 50mm batons as the room is not large, can I get away with less, 25mm?
    Gyproc sell screws down to 22mm so Id guess a 25mm baton would be ok?

The other option is mushrooms, the wall is solid 9" blocks on edge, but all of the mushroom fixings I see are at least 60mm and seem to be to hold insulated plasterboard? Are their versions for regular slabs? I also dont want to poke a drill out into my neighbours wall if possible :)

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,179 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

/bump

or am I better off just dabbing both layers? how thin can you go with dabbing? I guess the surface area is more important than the thickness of the dab/bead?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

As far as i can remember mushrooms will hold 12mm slabs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

Remember that when your double slabbing there's 25mm of slab. If you use 25mm batons then you need 45mm screws.

Advertisement