Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

parking

Options
  • 25-02-2010 3:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭

hi everyone, ive to come to ul this tuesday. i need to park as close as i can to the health sciences building (as I have to wear heels for an interview haha .... also will have spent ages getting ready so dont want to get rained on !!) but i will be there for maybe 3 or 4 hours...

i have been down before but cant remember the layout that well and i got confused by some car parks bein for students and others not.... can anyone advise me of the best place for me to park since im neither a student or lecturer? dont mind payin as long as i can pay a few hours in advance and dont have to keep comin out to top it up.... hoping to be there at about 11am is this unrealistic ?

thanks !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

hi everyone, ive to come to ul this tuesday. i need to park as close as i can to the health sciences building (as I have to wear heels for an interview haha .... also will have spent ages getting ready so dont want to get rained on !!) but i will be there for maybe 3 or 4 hours...

i have been down before but cant remember the layout that well and i got confused by some car parks bein for students and others not.... can anyone advise me of the best place for me to park since im neither a student or lecturer? dont mind payin as long as i can pay a few hours in advance and dont have to keep comin out to top it up.... hoping to be there at about 11am is this unrealistic ?

thanks !

There are only about 50 non designated spaces on the North Campus and they're in a gravel surface car park. Your best bet is to wear runners and bring a change of shoes. Parking at the Foundation Building shouldn't be too much of an issue, but you'd want to be there about half an hour before you plan to park to get someone's space as they leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Flying Abruptly

I'd say park in Capavilla car park which is right beside the Health Science Building. Park in the bottom Tier out of the way of residents but if your only there for 3 to 4 hours you should be fine.

The shortest way (approx. 150m) to get to the Health Science would then be to walk past Cappavilla reception and the Orchesta building. Theres tarmac footpaths the whole way so your shoes wont get dirty :D

Cappavilla Car Park is now reserved for Village residents. I'm not sure how strictly that is enforced, but our retail managers have to have residents permits to park over there for the shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

dont mind payin as long as i can pay a few hours in advance and dont have to keep comin out to top it up.... hoping to be there at about 11am is this unrealistic ?
    Even if you end up in a pay carpark (and if you arrive at 11am you almost certainly will), it's a one-off charge of three euros on exit from any of the pay carparks. You won't have to keep going out to top it up in any way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 hellojello

If you drive thru campus and follow the signs for cappavilla and thomond and then once u cross the bridge and pass thomond on ur left, as you get up to a building on ur right there is the health science carpark on the left!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭moretothegirl

that health sciences car park, i found it but noticed half of it seems for staff, am i right that the other half is okay to park in though, or is it actually the whole thing that is for staff??

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

that health sciences car park, i found it but noticed half of it seems for staff, am i right that the other half is okay to park in though, or is it actually the whole thing that is for staff??
    The Health sciences car park is half and half (one half staff, the other half public) (I found a guide to UL parking here). Make sure you park in the correct half:)

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭lorcanthrope

Hey there... Any hope you could explain to us how the SU is responsible for directing the planning and building of a University which it has to work ridiculously hard to influence on the majority of things?

I personally think one of the major problems with parking is students in College Court or Plassey Village (or Elm Park/Oaklawns area) who drive in to the college in the morning despite being a walking distance away. This adds an extra burden to the system and makes it more difficult for people who genuinely need to drive in.

The University is not easy to lobby on problems with parking - this is something I know to be true from seeing the difficulty that's existed in recent years. Therefore I think this almost "conspiracy" line that the SU has a controlling influence there is a bit nuts to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

Zandali wrote: »
    I just think that they are a bit trigger-happy when it comes to clamping thats all

ULSU do not clamp. Security are responsible for clamping cars and they are employed by the University. The Students' Union plays no part in the clamping of cars. They are also not responsible for planning on campus or setting the price of car parks, that is also the University.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

who gets all the money from holding peoples cars hostage via a clamp.

I don't know, ask the University maybe?
    It will all fall on its head the day somebody gets seriously injured and has to be rushed to hospital but cant cause OH LOOK "SECURITY" CLAMPED MY CAR.

I would imagine if someone is seriously injured they would be brought to hospital in an ambulance rather than a car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭cson

Its completely out of control. espicially for locals like myself who have to park up on peoples lawns in college court.

Tbh you should be clamped for doing that too. I'd imagine that gets very annoying for residents of College Court who find their gardens and paths obstructed by cars in the mornings. Fair play to the Gardai for trying to combat it by issuing tickets to those who park on the double yellows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭entropic

A good old fashion protest is in order for the parking, anyone who was around for St.John's regin as SU President will remeber the many occasions that the barriers were held up so that people would get out for free. Maybe something for those running for CSO to think about.

It is a bit ridiculous that they expect you to pay €15 a week if you plan on coming into college after 9.30am. And whatever happened to the whole they will become free when they pay for themselves which I am sure they have done 5 times over by now. Any truth to the rumour that they are actually going to increase it to €4?

I was part of the campaign that year. It failed becasue only 10 students kept interest after the 1st day. I didn't even drive at the time and I was out campaigning. Alannah did a great job rounding people up, but they lost interest and that is why it failed. Campaigns need students!

Advertisement