Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Threadmill running Vs Outside

• 25-02-2010 4:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 45

I ran a mile in 7.15 today which I'm relatively happy with.

Is that good or shit? It was on a treadmill so I realize it must be easier because your not actually propelling anything.

Hopefully I can push the steel to 6min mile in 2 weeks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Bleh... internet ate my first post so second attempt:

Depends on age and weight and unless going into a competition then it doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things. Running a mile in 6 or so minutes doesn't also count for much if that's as far as you can run.

If you're literally just starting to run then drop the speed for now. Look into a couch to 5k plan. Get in the volume and later on introduce speed work.

EDIT: treadmill is easier but infinitly more boring than running outside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

I'd come from the corner that thinks running on a threadmill can hardly be called running, all you're really doing is lifting you legs up and down while the track below moves racking up the distance, there's a lot less effort required than running on a road or grass. People who go from running a certain distance on a threadmill to outdoors can be fairly surprised that they get tired quicker at a lot less a distance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Steel Pump

I have ran 4k non stop so I'm not far off the 5k mark, though I was just feeling pumped that day went for it, avg 11.7kmh aswell.

I usually go 2k and stop sometimes 3, Im just trying to get speedier now.

I only started in October/Nov so to think that when I first went i couldnt do 1K at 11kmh its not bad goin

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭davmol

EDIT: treadmill is easier but infinitly more boring than running outside.

Not if you have a TV with sky sports on in front of you then again ive nearly killed myself losing coordination looking up at the screen and not the treadmill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

I used to do alot of running outdoors but had to quit because my knees were wrecked. I now stick to treadmill running but as it says above it's very boring.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

Steel Pump wrote: »
    I ran a mile in 7.15 today which I'm relatively happy with.

Is that good or shit?

It depends. Blindingly fast for some people but agonisingly slow for others. Fast is relative, for 99.99% of people there is always someone faster and always someone slower.
    Steel Pump wrote: »
    It was on a treadmill so I realize it must be easier because your not actually propelling anything.

Way, way, way easier for lots of reasons, not least that the treadmill may not even be properly calibrated. Running outside involves things like wind resistance as well as losing teh "pulling" of your standing foot so it will be harder.

Advertisement