Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Quinn Direct telling me they don't insure A license holders on bikes above 125cc?

• 25-02-2010 4:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

Just off the phone with Quinn Direct.

I had a policy with them for the last few months on a Honda Bros, I've a provisional A (and A1 I guess) license. No problem to insure it, as it's on the button for the 33BHP limit. (Probably a bit under that now!).

I was thinking of changing bikes to a 650cc bike, with a restrictor kit. So I called them up, went through the details. Everything was fine, I was quoted 90 euro to change over the policy. Then the girl asked me to hold on, put me on hold, and when she came back said Quinn have recently been advised by the Gardai to make sure they don't provide insurance to learners on bikes over 125cc, even if they hold an A provisional license.

I asked her if she wasn't getting it mixed up with A1 permit holders, put on hold for another few minutes, and she said no. No insurance on bikes over 125cc to learner permit holders. I then asked what the deal was with my current insurance, as it's for a 400cc bike. On hold again, and they're going to call me later.

Is this just a mix up on their behalf? I was fairly confident that I'm ok to ride a bike bigger than 125cc on a learner A permit - you've to do your test on a bike that's bigger than 125cc for the A license do you not? Or have Quinn introduced this policy recently? Or does she just not know what she's talking about?

Heck, I'm pretty sure I know people on learner permits, insured with Quinn, on bikes that are 600cc that are restricted.

Any idea on who I could call on this? (Was thinking the RSA, but they're not answering phones today as part of the civil service go slow)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

It's a mistake on Quinns behalf, she must be mixing up the licences... ring back and talk to them again - or manage your policy online and do the change there...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 628 ✭✭✭jimmyendless

That's a mistake on there part anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

I know a 26yo on a LP with a restricted bandit 6.

Just like that, they gave him a quote and he bought the bike (his first) and when he went to activate the policy, they said oooh, errrr... ahhhh- we can't insure you actually. They gave in.

I reckon they're mixing up the licenses...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MikeC101

Glad to hear this - it sounded ridiculous when she said it (especially given that I already am insured with them, on a 400cc bike), but I was starting to worry a little.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

It's just Quinn living up to their reputation.

Ring them again, you'll probably get a different person on the phone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,788 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Been insurance shopping myself, and some things before you ring:

1. Have a pen, and right down the exact time the conversation starts.
    2. If you don't catch it, and you usually don't, the first question is to ask them their name. If they mutter/stumble/fudge, ask them to repeat it. Write it down.
    3. Proceed with your enquiry.

I can guarantee you this approach gets you a different response.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 171 ✭✭philmire

sorry for hogging your post i'm 19 provisanal 1 year ncb wanted to get a restricted bandit 600 and the girl told me they can't insure someone under 21 is this right or is she telling me lies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

legally you're allowed, but the insurance will be nuts...

tbh, at 19 and a 600cc, you may have to go the route of getting written declines from insurance companies, and presenting 3(?) of them to the first insurer to force them to quote you... As insurance is a legal requirement, they have to quote you at this point, but, unfortunately, they can quote you anything under the sun.. I'd expect a 3k+ quote

Bit of a joke that they won't quite you on a restricted Bandit FFS

thanks for the quick reply i'm sick of my nsr it is breaking down weekly and now it's engine is blown i have heard on biker.ie a lad that was 18 insured on a cbr 600 rr restricted so i'm hoping i can do it too sheers lads for the quick replys

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

philmire wrote: »
    thanks for the quick reply i'm sick of my nsr it is breaking down weekly and now it's engine is blown i have heard on biker.ie a lad that was 18 insured on a cbr 600 rr restricted so i'm hoping i can do it too sheers lads for the quick replys

what the point in getting insured for more then the bike is worth?

rang quinn again now they are saying i can only get a quote if i get a level 2 on a riders coarse hopely if i ring again they will say ok since there story keeps changing bit anoying since i drove 100 miles to look at the bandit i want to get

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

definately consider the training course... you'll easily earn back what you spend doing it on the reduction in insurance (especially considering your age/bike choice)

I think quinn are your only choice at this point too, others wont touch you unfort... so you may have to jump through whatever hoops they place before you

i need the bike to comute to college and now i'm stuck badly my main beef is by law they have to at least give me a quote fobbing me off teling me they don't insure restricted bikes if your under 21

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Phil,

Have you tried ringing the other insurance companies to see if they will quote you?

carlol nash needs a full licance and i must check aon but am scared what they will quote since the last time they quoted me €2500 for a honda 50 when quinn quoted me €1200 for an nsr 125

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

Adelaide Insurance as an option?

Adelaide Insurance as an option?

they say only over 25s this agism is realy getting me down with quinn if i was 21 with my provisnal i could have an unrestricted bandit no problem i'm only looking for a restricted one which is slower then my nsr 125 and a better bike to stop :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Pique

if i was 21 with my provisnal i could have an unrestricted bandit no problem :(

Ah, no you couldn't !

off quinn quote
    Your Details
    • Mr John soap
      • Date of Birth: 03/10/1988
      • Address: iwuhfeuw, kefj, fsdik, County Limerick, Ireland.

View / Amend Details
    Your Rider Details
    • Licence Type: Provisional
    • Duration Held: 0 Years

View / Amend Details
    Your Motorcycle
    • SUZUKI GSF 600 BANDIT (UNFAIRED) ROADSTER
      • Engine Size: 599cc Petrol Manual
      • Value: €2500
      • Type of Use: S,D & P including commuting
      • Vehicle Location: iwuhfeuw, kefj, fsdik, County Limerick, Ireland.
      • Cover Type: Third Party, Fire & Theft
      • Compulsory Excess: €250
      • No Claims Discount: 0 years discount
      • Rider Training:

Annual Payment: €873.51

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Pique

They can quote you all they like. When it comes to claiming, you MUST be in compliance with the law, regardless of what Mickey Mouse Insurance or whoever says.
    You WILL NOT be covered.
    They WILL NOT pay out.
    You WILL be screwed.

You have to get the bike restricted or you're not covered. End of !

that's good to no i want a restricted bike anyways

That's not too bad in fairness, mine was €1000 fully comp on a CB400. 22yo, first provisional, NCB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭carsQhere

Ring one of these guys;
    http://www.quinn-direct.com/ireland/documents/approved_assessors.pdf
    Get a bit of training & do the Quinn assessment.

That'll get the premium down a bit. Then get a bit more training and sit the test. Remember your 2 yers restriction starts from the time you get the pink license back from the Dept. (and not the date you pass the test).

HTH

i rang quinn back today and they told me they couldn't insure me on a prov till i was over 21 i asked for a letter to send to the ombudsman after a bit of stuttering she said she would ring me back after to let me no would they send out the letter. She rang back asking did i have an A or A1 licance i told her A she said that was fine and she would ring back again. Rang back third time saying there was a mistake and that they could insure me for €97 euro on top of my existing insurance(€422 had 6 months gone on it) so i am a happy camper just have to buy the bike now have deal done and all.

Where there is a will there is a way :D

Nice, fair play on calling their bluff.

these things have to be done i never like being told wrong information

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

i rang quinn back today and they told me they couldn't insure me on a prov till i was over 21 i asked for a letter to send to the ombudsman after a bit of stuttering she said she would ring me back after to let me no would they send out the letter. She rang back asking did i have an A or A1 licance i told her A she said that was fine and she would ring back again. Rang back third time saying there was a mistake and that they could insure me for €97 euro on top of my existing insurance(€422 had 6 months gone on it) so i am a happy camper just have to buy the bike now have deal done and all.

Where there is a will there is a way :D
    Fair play, I read the OP in disbelief as I am on a provisional (and 19) and got my renewal quote for my 250 from them two weeks ago.

Quinn are an odd company though, myself and a friend both had mopeds insured with them when we turned 16, when it came to renewal time I traded up to a 125 and still got a quote 300 quid less than his for the moped.

AgileMyth wrote: »
    Quinn are an odd company though, myself and a friend both had mopeds insured with them when we turned 16, when it came to renewal time I traded up to a 125 and still got a quote 300 quid less than his for the moped.

they are it all depends on who you get on the phone i think which is abit mad i moved from a nsr 75 to nsr125 in 6 months and when i had to renew 6 months later they dropped the price from €1100 to €400 even tho i had went up in power

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MikeC101

Forgot all about this thread!

Just to update:

I called Quinn again the next day, they agreed to the change no problem. Then the next say the original girl I was talking to called back and said after consulting with their actuaries the only possible way they could even consider it was if I faxed them a copy of the restrictor cert (which I offered to do originally).

Then when I bought the bike and called to confirm the changeover I got a guy who had zero interest in having the restrictor cert faxed (which was great because it would have been a pain to get to a fax machine).

Oh, and - the bike is a 1999 Kawasaki W650. The guy I bought it off kept it in great condition - he removed all the badges though, so it confuses the hell out of the old guys who walk past it, then stop and stare, trying to figure out if it is in fact the same as the old Triumph their wife made them stop riding in the 70s :D

Advertisement