Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Those digital notice boards..

• 25-02-2010 4:43pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So it seems the council have invested in additional digital signage. The first lot are the parking notice signs which seem dodgy at best and these new ones just say 'Please drive with care'.

Any ideas what this latest investment will be used for and will they actually fully work?!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭alpha2zulu

Sully wrote: »
    So it seems the council have invested in additional digital signage. The first lot are the parking notice signs which seem dodgy at best and these new ones just say 'Please drive with care'.

Any ideas what this latest investment will be used for and will they actually fully work?!

And more importantly in this day and age how much did it cost.

I mean paying a 1.80e 'tax' for parking in the city is bad enough and kills trade but then to spend the funds on all-singing/all-dancing signs when half the roads around the city seem to be collapseing in on themselves is a bit rediculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭baronflyguy

alpha2zulu wrote: »
    And more importantly in this day and age how much did it cost.

I mean paying a 1.80e 'tax' for parking in the city is bad enough and kills trade but then to spend the funds on all-singing/all-dancing signs when half the roads around the city seem to be collapseing in on themselves is a bit rediculous.
    totally agree with you there.

If I was given the choice of picking paying for parking OR paying for electronic sign (which will need a maintenance contract) about parking spaces and drive safely I would pick free parking any day.

The static Non Digital signs work fine for me. Less maintenance too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I was waiting for the bus in cork the other night and an armed response unit guarda car drove by and along the top of the roof was actually a little red dot screen with armed guarda scrolling across. I'm surprised some newspaper hasn't done a story on the money spent on things like this and what sully mentioned.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Ziedth. wrote: »
    I was waiting for the bus in cork the other night and an armed response unit guarda car drove by and along the top of the roof was actually a little red dot screen with armed guarda scrolling across. I'm surprised some newspaper hasn't done a story on the money spent on things like this and what sully mentioned.

That's old news and tbh our gardai are seriously under funded as it is. Better patrol cars are essential imo.

oh no doubt, i'd be the first to say the guards have it tough but you cant be telling me the led display is necessary? Anyway, i'm moving this off topic. I'll guess there is research somewhere that suggests they drive slowly signs save more lives that someone bought and thats the reason they got them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭alpha2zulu

To be honest with everything the armed response guys potentially have to face I wouldent begrudge them the LED's.

But back on the cost issue of the "drive carefully" signs-who exactly is signing off on them. Is a particular department trying to burn through its budget or are things like this voted on by the council?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Dum_Dum

There's nothing like a bit of fiddling while Rome burns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

I believe the Private Car Parks gave the Council €100,000+ towards the signage costs

Waterford needs to distinguish itself from other cities especially when the Motorway opens and we are only 1.5 hours from Dublin.

Having electronic car park signs directing the way to car parks with "Spaces" will lead to an easier/hassle free ride for tourists (Both foreign and domestic) who are unfamiliar with the City and the car park locations.

We should be comending the City Council for making life easier for those who are willing to come here and spend money (Return on inestment) than knocking them for it without offering an alternative option - Free car parking is not an option as they will be used up by the workers in the shops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Ziedth. wrote: »

I'm surprised at you mate. What would they be doing writing a story like that when you have jedward mania and ashley cole to be writing about.

I'm surprised at you mate. What would they be doing writing a story like that when you have jedward mania and ashley cole to be writing about.
    Ha ha, good point but did you hear he blames her mother :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Ah but did you hear that jedward won't be doing a second date in Waterford?!! Ah....!! Hold the front pages!

Advertisement