Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travels to new zealand!!!

Options
  • 25-02-2010 4:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

hi there everyone im totally new to boards for all you guys who
    have either travelled or worked in new new zealand or done both
    im in need of advice! im headed to new zealand on a one year
    workin/travelling visa and im just wondering what the employment
    situation is like over their? is it easy or difficult to find work
    ? also is it an expensive country to rent/shop in?
    and whats the story with working on farms or fruit picking? fancy
    somthing different;) coolio talk later

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 blackrainbow

Hi im also travelling to new zealand and i was wondering how much things cost. for example groceries and clothes everyday items really.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,940 ✭✭✭pclancy

www.seek.co.nz for job situation. I work in IT so have no clue about farm or bar work but I haven't hard any of my friends say its hard find work, I know some people that have recently arrived and found temp and part time jobs quite easily...In general the economy is doing okay here.

Wages can be crap, cost of living is quite high in some ways-dairy, meat, clothes are expensive but things like cars, petrol, insurance, booze are cheap in my opinion. Rent can go from $100 a week for a small room sharing to $400+ a week for a nice big flat or house in the suburbs. www.trademe.co.nz is good to look for prices of rents and goods.

If you come just bing enough cash to last at least a few months in case you don't find work quickly...it took me a good while and I wish i'd brought more money with me but I'm here 2 years now and very happy :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭COOKSTER

I thought it would be cheaper but I'm surprised to say cost of living is getting more expensive.
    You need to shop around but you can save money. A big chicken breast costs around $5.50 or €2.75 in supermarket, 12 bottles of heineken $18/€9. Litre of regular unleaded is $1.77/€.85c. Bottle of beer in a bar $7-$8/€4 no wonder suburban boozers suck. Bring your own clothes unless you want to look like you do all your shopping in Castleblayney

There is work but it depends what you want to do and where. Pay is fairly poor too. Bungy Jumps are €80 give or take, a second hand longboard will cost around €350 for something with a few repaired dings. Kiwis tend to value second hand gear more than in Ireland - there's not many adverts.nz bargains to be had. Second hand shops are great though, lots of cool old junk that Irish people have thrown out years ago to make room for their celtic tiger collection.

If you want to rent be aware that a lot of places don't come furnished and you will have to pay extra for a furnished room, however there are lots of short term lettings. Many require a 2 week bond to be paid to a bond holding agency.

Bring over some teabags and bacon and put them on Trademe, you'll make a mint.

Hope this helps

C

Advertisement