Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Games worth installing to your hard drive.

• 25-02-2010 4:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭

What are the games worth installing to your hard drive to deal with load times? Or more simply,what 360 games have the worse load times?

I found installing Tekken 6 was a good move as it has mild load times in between fights. It's not so much that load times are long but it's annoying due to the nature of the game. It takes a massive 6.7 gigs though.

Lost Odyssey was a must. It makes the load times non existant and as it's a game you tend to play through long sit throughs no load times and a silent 360 is great. You only need install one disc at a time so you can just erase the previous install data when you move on the next disc. Disc one is 5.4 gigs.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

i usually have the game im playing at the moment installed, at th moment its borderlands and fifa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

Can I suggest a sticky for this thread? Would be handy to have a comprehensive list of games that are improved through installation and even more importantly those that suffer from it i.e Halo 3 So:

INSTALL:
    Tekken 6
    Lost Odyssey

DO NOT INSTALL:
    Halo 3

Or something along these lines? Of course feel free to object.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭Xluna

niallon wrote: »
    Can I suggest a sticky for this thread? Would be handy to have a comprehensive list of games that are improved through installation and even more importantly those that suffer from it i.e Halo 3 So:

INSTALL:
    Tekken 6
    Lost Odyssey

DO NOT INSTALL:
    Halo 3

Or something along these lines? Of course feel free to object.

What happens if you install Halo 3? I was going to install that later. Yeah making a sticky sounds like a good idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

ive installed my halo 3. I have 2 copies of the game but one the disk is buggered so I installed it so my son and I can play it on xbl.

And no it did not turn my xbox into a pumpkin at mid night. Though I wonder what happens if im playing halo at midnight still ?????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

I install as many as possible onto my HD, why not? Saves wear and tear on the disc mechanism, your discs remain unscratched and it cuts down on noise. If your HD is filling up, just delete those games you play less frequently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭sierra117x

MayoForSam wrote: »
    I install as many as possible onto my HD, why not? Saves wear and tear on the disc mechanism, your discs remain unscratched and it cuts down on noise. If your HD is filling up, just delete those games you play less frequently.

i only install if necassary this is my second hard drive the first one burnt out because it was just constantly in use ....well thats what my friend told me he's had the same problem he's on his third . so i only use it on big games with big loads like mass effect oblivion etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭consultech

Games worth installing to HD?

Um, any game you play? I don't see why anyone would turn their noses up to a quieter/quicker gaming experience that prolongs the life of your console!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

Supposedly if you install Halo 3 it can cause loading issues

http://ie.xbox360.ign.com/articles/932/932273p1.html

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭#Daniel

niallon wrote: »
    Supposedly if you install Halo 3 it can cause loading issues

http://ie.xbox360.ign.com/articles/932/932273p1.html

Oh, so thats why my campaign takes almost 3 minutes to load...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭Xluna

consultech wrote: »
    Games worth installing to HD?

Um, any game you play? I don't see why anyone would turn their noses up to a quieter/quicker gaming experience that prolongs the life of your console!

I don't fancy installing a game for five minutes only to realise it consumes almost ten gigs and does'nt affect loading much. Some games really do benefit greatly from installation,others far less so. I'd install every game if I could but even with 120 gigs I can't even install a third of my games. You'd be surprised. Tekken 6 consumes 2 gigs more than SF IV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,353 ✭✭✭naughto

i installed cod modern warfare and got 3 rings of death two days later

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

naughto wrote: »
    i installed cod modern warfare and got 3 rings of death two days later

I'd pretty much put money on that being unrelated... Your 360 was on the way out and would have died regardless, plain and simple...

I install every game that I'm currently playing. Tempted to start Lost Odyssey again, so I'll give that a go!

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭mrm

What happens when you delete an installed game after completion- do you lose all the game achievements?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,156 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I install everything I'm playing. Only have a 60gb drive but it's enough to have 6-7 games on the drive. Couldn't care less about load times, but it makes everything so much quieter without the disk spinning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I'm getting by on a 20gb Hard drive so I install whatever game I'm playing most at the time.

At the moment I have Modern Warfare 2 installed and I'm really glad I chose to because the sound from the disc drive when playing multiplayer brought back fond memories of thinking my 360 was a 747 taking off!

I install everything I'm playing. Only have a 60gb drive but it's enough to have 6-7 games on the drive. Couldn't care less about load times, but it makes everything so much quieter without the disk spinning.

I agree. With some games the load times are still crap even when installed but at least the thing is quiet. Colin Mc Crae - Dirt for example - load times are still really long, even when installed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

I install most games while I'm playing them, then delete them. When I go back to them, I just re-install. I usually do the dishes while it's doing so, it's a painless enough thing to do for a quieter 360!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

mrm wrote: »
    What happens when you delete an installed game after completion- do you lose all the game achievements?
    Nope. It just erases the image of the game disc off the HDD, game saves are stored separately and achievements are kept in your live profile.

I'm currently installing everything I play most often to the HDD. It makes a great difference to Fable II for sure, FIFA 10 as well. Then again, I recently got a 250GB hard drive and don't know myself with the space after being stuck with the old 20GB one for years. :)

Advertisement