Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT and brand new tyres?

• 25-02-2010 5:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭

Right so the GTI is due its first NCT on Saturday afternoon. The front two tyres are VERY worn, so I ordered two new ones from Camskill and they've arrived this afternoon.

I'm also getting the car serviced tomorrow evening with Blackwater in Fermoy. I was thinking of getting one last spin out of the Potenzas (I'm in Limerick) that are currently on, then put the new Falkens on the front on Saturday morning, just before the NCT. Then I got thinking........

Is this actually a risky move?

The tyres will still be very green, and obviously not run in much. Would it be a bad idea to go ahead and do this? Should I put the new ones before the trip to Fermoy?

Anyone here been in a similar position before, regarding tyres and the test?

For what it's worth I can't see my current fronts passing, so I want to put on the new ones either way. I just need to decide when I should put them on!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Can't see any reason why new tyres would fail an NCT.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭GSBellew

Fizman wrote: »
    Right so the GTI is due its first NCT on Saturday afternoon. The front two tyres are VERY worn, so I ordered two new ones from Camskill and they've arrived this afternoon.

I'm also getting the car serviced tomorrow evening with Blackwater in Fermoy. I was thinking of getting one last spin out of the Potenzas (I'm in Limerick) that are currently on, then put the new Falkens on the front on Saturday morning, just before the NCT. Then I got thinking........

Is this actually a risky move?

The tyres will still be very green, and obviously not run in much. Would it be a bad idea to go ahead and do this? Should I put the new ones before the trip to Fermoy?

Anyone here been in a similar position before, regarding tyres and the test?

For what it's worth I can't see my current fronts passing, so I want to put on the new ones either way. I just need to decide when I should put them on!

Well if you have new tyres, and the old ones are worn or damaged in such a way as they would fail the NCT and hence are not legal and would incur points if stopped would it not make more sense to just change them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Brandnew tyres certainly won't fail ... but theoretically they could slip a bit on the brake tester maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

peasant wrote: »
    Brandnew tyres certainly won't fail ... but theoretically they could slip a bit on the brake tester maybe?

That's along the lines of what I was thinking. I think I'll just put them on Saturday morning and take it for a bit of a spin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭kdevitt

New tyres will be fine - new brakes might be a different issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

Be fine with the new tyres......once 'e' marked from June onwards tho....

www.sligowhiplash.com - 2nd & 3rd Aug '25

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Actually I think I'll just bring the two new ones to Fermoy, get them fitted and balanced down there and the spin back can break them in a bit.
    BronsonTB wrote: »
    Be fine with the new tyres......once 'e' marked from June onwards tho....

Sorry I don't understand!

Advertisement