Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Togo goalie stranded in SA

• 25-02-2010 5:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 233 ✭✭

Johannesburg - Togo goalkeeper Kodjovi Obilale has issued an emotional appeal for help returning home, admitting that his continued stay in South Africa is crushing his spirit.

Obilale has been in hospital in South Africa since he was airlifted there following the fatal machine-gun attack on the Togo team as they travelled to the African Nations Cup.

The 25-year-old, who was initially reported as dead by his team-mates, has been given the green light to return to France and the Kerpape rehabilitation centre, but Angola are refusing to pay the repatriation costs for the Pontivy goalkeeper.

"I don't have any morale left," Obilale told French radio station RTL. "It's been a month and a half now that I've been in bed here. My life is to turn left or turn right.

"I'm scared of getting worse because what I'm experiencing at night is horrible, I see the soldiers, I'm going to war as I'm going to the Cup. Every night I experience this in my sleep.

"And there's no-one here that's giving me any news. The great desire is to go back home.

"The Angolans tell me they are waiting for the word from the doctors but every day I see the doctor who operated on me and he says it's okay.

"The big problem is that they can't pay the repatriation costs. It's that that's breaking my morale."

Obilale added: "People from the Angolan government came here with flowers but I don't know what I'm meant to do with them. I have no house to put them in.

"I just want to go home. To be next to my children and those closest to me, that's all I'm asking for.

"They shot at me, now today they can't repatriate me. That's why I'm making this appeal so that people can help me leave this hospital bed."

Obilale's partner and sister are by his bedside thanks to Manchester City striker and Togo captain Emmanuel Adebayor, who financed their trip.

Pontivy president Philippe Le Mestre has also slammed the Angolan government, adding that as organisers they "promised to pay for everything but nothing is forthcoming".

It is the latest blow for the Togo team and will surely lead to more criticism on how the incident has been dealt with.

The country's federation are currently embroiled in an appeal to the Court of Arbitration for Sport against their ban from the next two editions of the African Nations Cup.

Togo were banned by the Confederation of African Football following their withdrawal from this year's tournament in the wake of the attack on their team bus.

An assistant coach and the team's press officer - plus a driver - were killed.

link

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

What exactly are the fee's they can't pay? sounds fairly ****ing strange.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

mayordenis wrote: »

From reading that it seems like he would still be bed bound and probably require an aide or nurse to travel with him. Then there'd be ambulances to and from the airports. It could be an expensive enough business to arrange.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

From reading that it seems like he would still be bed bound and probably require an aide or nurse to travel with him. Then there'd be ambulances to and from the airports. It could be an expensive enough business to arrange.

Well it depends on what his medical condition is. It's clearly very serious. A "normal" shooting and you could be released within days. There clearly must be a serious problem with his liver, kidney or lungs. But sure I'm just speculating. It's a very sad situation and I hope he get's back to full health.

mayordenis wrote: »

It would be about €15,000 Euro, depending on distance, to transfer a patient for non-medical needs, which is clearly the case here. EMS team, Air Ambulance and 2 Road ambulances. Also Airport fee's and what not. Don't think that's reasonable for a Amateur goalkeeper.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Would Adebayor not do the decent thing and bail him out?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Thats what i thought first, and even tho he paid for the brother and sisters transport, it doesnt mean he has to cop the rest of the bill.
    Its the Football Associations bill most likely. If you were to rely on Adebayor to pay then u could argue he should pay for the teams travel expenses and hotels and food and kit! Even though hes rich, u have to stop somewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

Would Adebayor not do the decent thing and bail him out?

That's not the point and well you know it!!!:rolleyes:
    It's not his job and not his place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,466 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

That's not the point and well you know it!!!:rolleyes:
    It's not his job and not his place.

but the keeper is asking for anyone who can help him, to help him.

It isn't my place, or your place either, but he is asking us. Adebayor, although it is not his place either, would probably be friends with the guy so there is more onus on him, with his millions, to help someone he knows rather than us, who may never have even seen this guy play football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Poor chap, would have thought this was all sorted by now and that all the players had recovered.

Pretty unfortunate for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

Adebayor did help. He funded the trip of Obilale's family and I'd imagine he would most likely fund the 65,000 for the blokes repatriation if it were not for politics and all the rubbish.
    Things are not always as they seem in these cases.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

Osu wrote: »
    It would be about €15,000 Euro, depending on distance, to transfer a patient for non-medical needs, which is clearly the case here. EMS team, Air Ambulance and 2 Road ambulances. Also Airport fee's and what not. Don't think that's reasonable for a Amateur goalkeeper.

What possible relevance is that?

The guy was a member of the team and was very nearly killed. The idea that the Togalese FA don't have an obligation to make sure he gets treatment is outrageous.

Are they not insured?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭TonyD79

Sure by the sounds of it the Toga FA dont have 2 pennies to rub together;

1. Taking the coach instead of flying to Angola

2. No training Kit: Adebayor had to use his old Arsenal one!:D

On a serious note maybe there still is something political going on.

What possible relevance is that?

The guy was a member of the team and was very nearly killed. The idea that the Togalese FA don't have an obligation to make sure he gets treatment is outrageous.

Are they not insured?

Of course it has relevance. Obviously he cant afford it. :rolleyes:

I'm sure he is getting the best treatment possible. If you read the article you can clearly assume from it that it's not the treatment, more the location of the treatment.

But clearly you haven't even read the article.

And clearly you haven't an idea about insurance either. What insurance company takes a special premium for location of treatment?

Also maybe you should consider the fact that moving the player could be detrimental for his health. No?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,466 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Osu wrote: »
    Of course it has relevance. Obviously he cant afford it. :rolleyes:

I'm sure he is getting the best treatment possible. If you read the article you can clearly assume from it that it's not the treatment, more the location of the treatment.

But clearly you haven't even read the article.

And clearly you haven't an idea about insurance either. What insurance company takes a special premium for location of treatment?

Also maybe you should consider the fact that moving the player could be detrimental for his health. No?

in fairness, the way you have stated it, it comes across that you are saying why should Togo, or Angola, pay for the medical costs of this player, as he is only an amateur. Seemingly that is not what you ment, but it is certainly how it came across.

As for your last point, it says in the article that he doctors says (and have said for a while) that it is fine to move him, it is whatever the hell these repatriation fees are that is holding it up

in fairness, the way you have stated it, it comes across that you are saying why should Togo, or Angola, pay for the medical costs of this player, as he is only an amateur. Seemingly that is not what you ment, but it is certainly how it came across.

As for your last point, it says in the article that he doctors says (and have said for a while) that it is fine to move him, it is whatever the hell these repatriation fees are that is holding it up

He's reporting he is fine, that's grand. But until his doctor comes out and says that it's not worth it's salt. I mean let's not forget, the Togolese FA refused to pay his bill after falsifying information about his medical history on his arrival at hospital. [IMO Medical Journal]

To me and from what I've read he is getting the best treatment he can.

Also medical repatriation fee's are quite expensive as I stated above, obviously Togo have no insurance for the player because repatriation can be covered through insurance by requirement, however not to contradict myself from above, the movement of a patient for personal reasons isn't available under insurance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 527 ✭✭✭EI111

TonyD79 wrote: »
    1. Taking the coach instead of flying to Angola
    they didnt take the bus all the way from togo, they were based in DR Congo for the tournament.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

*bump*

Poor fellah is finally getting home to France today. It's not clear who paid the €65,000 to get him home, the FFF are supposed to have intervened but some reports say it's the togo FA.

Anyway, looks like he may never play football again and is looking to sue CAF.

Advertisement