Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Top Ten: Overrated Premier League footballers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

JPA wrote: »
    I think fans don't rate Walcott but the media never stops going on about him being picked for England when he has absolutely no form and I can't really remember when he ever had a great run of form.

He has been plagued by injuries though, he finally comes back from injury, plays a few games and before you know it he is out again, his best form for Arsenal is when he has had a good run of games, hopefully he can get a good run between now and the end of the season and you will see more of the Walcott you saw against Croatia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,427 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Anelka? That's the worst one in the thread.

Good player but bottles it on big occassion way too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

Good player but bottles it on big occassion way too much.

That didn't stop Thierry Henry.

Bodhisopha wrote: »

Are you saying Henry bottled it on the big stage :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

**** me muppet, you're in flying form tonight!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

OPENROAD wrote: »
    He has been plagued by injuries though, he finally comes back from injury, plays a few games and before you know it he is out again, his best form for Arsenal is when he has had a good run of games, hopefully he can get a good run between now and the end of the season and you will see more of the Walcott you saw against Croatia.

His injury problems can't be ignored when talking about him as a player though.
    He'll never get anywhere if he can't stay fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

EI111 wrote: »
    Am I the only person who thinks there never has and never will be a player as overrated as that donkey Adebayor?

Not Arsenals accountants.They think he is 25 million quidtastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

I wasn't aware that any of those players were though of as anything other than good Premiership players. Certainly not world class anyway.

His injury problems can't be ignored when talking about him as a player though.
    He'll never get anywhere if he can't stay fit.

Fair point, but I certainly rate him as a player, as said a good run will show the real Walcott.

• Advertisement

Are you saying Henry bottled it on the big stage :confused:

Yes, yes i am.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

Dear oh dear, what are you on about?

Yes, yes i am.

lol and you said Anelka was the worst one

Well slap bang you raised me on that one dude.

Yes, yes i am.

oh dear :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Jamie Carragher

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

The Muppet wrote: »
    Surprised there's no mention of one of the best right wingers in the league Dirk Kuyt or the world class left back Insua in the original list, must be not enough people rate them in the first place.

derp de durp durr. derpy durp de durp te dum derp.

isnt this premiership players? so like meaning, when they played in the PL. Henry & Anelka are not over rated in the PL. to say so would be.... hmm, i dont wanna say stupid... what other words could there be....oh, DERP!

• Advertisement

m@cc@ wrote: »
    Dear oh dear, what are you on about?

I'm on about the amount of huge finals Thierry Henry has featured in without managing to score a single goal.

Two World Cup finals, no goals.

Two Champions League finals, no goals.

One Euro Championship final, no goals.

Even young upstarts like Messi and Ronaldo have a goal each in a champions league final.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOM!

Jazzy wrote: »
    derp de durp durr. derpy durp de durp te dum derp.

isnt this premiership players? so like meaning, when they played in the PL. Henry & Anelka are not over rated in the PL. to say so would be.... hmm, i dont wanna say stupid... what other words could there be....oh, DERP!

You off to Coppers tonight then ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

its hard to gauge this cos sky overrate everything to do with the premiership. you could argue every high profile english player in the last 10 years purely because of sky. and to a lesser extend the britsh media.

Andy Gray who some would say is Mr. Sky, team of the decade

................Friedel........................

Neville.....Rio.........Terry...........Cole

Ronaldo..Keane......Stevie G.....Giggs

Zola and Henry

6 non english players??? :confused::confused::confused:

I'm on about the amount of huge finals Thierry Henry has featured in without managing to score a single goal.

Even young upstarts like Messi and Ronaldo have a goal each in a champions league final.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOM!

He has done it in the big games, go back and look at his record again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

BOOOOOOOOOOOOM!

but he's won everything.

and is easily, EASILY one of the top 5 Premier League players ever.

IMO he's the best.

but oh i see, you're trying to be controversial.

well done.

• Advertisement

Henry during his time in the premier league was a joy to watch.

A real stand up and just applaud player, anyone who can't see that just isn't a fan of football or has a clue about the game.

Same with Bergkamp and Wright, absolute amazing players for Arsenal and the league.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOM!

Add to that three FA Cup finals, no goals.

That is 8 big finals without a single goal from one of the most prolific goalscorers in world football over the last 15 years.

Slickrick, don't get your panties in a bunch, i'm not saying Henry is overrated, i'm just saying he bottled it on big occasions.

Boggles wrote: »

A real stand up and just applaud player, anyone who can't see that just isn't a fan of football or has a clue about the game.

Same with Bergkamp and Wright, absolute amazing players for Arsenal and the league.

I agree with everything you have said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Don't know what Gallas is doing anywhere near that list. He's a superb defender that's tainted by his head getting the better of him occaisionally.

Add to that three FA Cup finals, no goals.

That is 8 big finals without a single goal from one of the most prolific goalscorers in world football over the last 15 years.

Slickrick, don't get your panties in a bunch, i'm not saying Henry is overrated, i'm just saying he bottled it on big occasions.

Top Ten: Bottlers thread is that way
    >

I agree with everything you have said.

You seem to be saying he bottled in the big occasions though?

Which is relative to that particular match or tournament, and needs context.

Something I strongly disagree with.

Same old paddle was hit with Ronaldo when he was at united.

But on plenty of big occasions he didn't bottle it.

extremely harsh, again, considering he's won everything, but i do see what you're trying to say.

no goals in finals does not equal 'bottler on the bigger occasion' though.

he played very well in a lot of those finals, winning many of them. i remember them all.

You seem to be saying he bottled in the big occasions though?

Which is relative to that particular match or tournament, and needs context.

Something I strongly disagree with.

Same old paddle was hit with Ronaldo when he was at united.

Ronaldo already has a Champions League goal to his name though. In the big one, the make or break 90 mins, Henry has failed to live up to his reputation or even produce that moment of magic that top players can produce on even their off days.

That's all the context needed.

Ronaldo already has a Champions League game to his name though. In the big one, the make or break 90 mins, Henry has failed to live up to his reputation or even produce that moment of magic that top players can produce on even their off days.

I think you need to look back on Henrys record again in the big matches, not just cherry picking and Henry was far more than just a goalscorer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Ah now here, Wright's not in the class of the other two, though he was a good player.

I think the most over-rated players today are: Ballack, Terry, Carrick, Walcott, Carragher, Bridge, Lescott, Toure. Can't think of others

Ronaldo already has a Champions League game to his name though. In the big one, the make or break 90 mins, Henry has failed to live up to his reputation or even produce that moment of magic that top players can produce on even their off days.

Mardona never scored in a world cup final.

Overated?

he won leagues as the best player and talisman in his team.

just because he didn't score in 6/7 matches does not mean he's a bottler.

i never thought i'd be arguing about Thierry Henry in this thread.

i'd imagine Henry being one of the main reason his teams got to all those finals is important to note in this idiotic conversation.

Ah now here, Wright's not in the class of the other two, though he was a good player.

I watched every season of Wrights career and believe me he was a different animal to the 2 but by no means was he not in the same class.

I used make sure I watched the gunners just for him, raw explosive talent and a complete joy to watch.

Southalls face at the end of this goal makes it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

not a mention of berbatov anywhere in this list, terriblilly overpriced and overrated.

Mardona never scored in a world cup final.

Overated?

Now please. Read my posts, i have never once said Henry is overrated.

I said he bottled it in big finals considering his 0/8 scoring record.

Bottled is a bit harsh though. He just choked slightly in failing to stamp his mark on them.

In fairness we are talking about two very very special players, I saw Wright live regularly for Arsenal, he was a very very special player, really was a joy to watch, a very skillful player.

Bottled is a bit harsh though. He just choked slightly in failing to stamp his mark on them.

If he isn't overrated then what the fuck are you discussing it for?

• Advertisement

Mr Alan wrote: »
    i'd imagine Henry being one of the main reason his teams got to all those finals is important to note in this idiotic conversation.

What's idiotic is your failure to realise what is being discussed here; the biggest occasions.

Is Maradona a bottler/choker?

I think you might have said he bottled it on the big occassions which is not the case

cson wrote: »
    If he isn't overrated then what the fuck are you discussing it for?

Because i was asked to elaborate on a small point i made in relation to someone saying Anelka bottled it on big occasions, you silly billy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Van Persie is really overated right now by virtue of not playing. People are saying things about him now they weren't when he was playing just because Arsenal are lacking something up front at the moment. If any of their strikers were scoring reasonably such praise wouldn't be levelled at him but hacks are grasping for an answer

What's idiotic is your failure to realise what is being discussed here; the biggest occasions.
    Em, no, wat is being discussed here is Over-rated premier league footcallers. Henry is one of the greatest ever, and that is how he is rated. So any discussion attempting to belittle him in this thread is idiotic in the extreme.

• Advertisement

not a mention of berbatov anywhere in this list, terriblilly overpriced and overrated.

Overated terribly by who exactly?

Every post I read about Berbs slats him? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

2. Shaun Wright-Phillips (Manchester City) – Considering how much of a terrace darling Ian Wright’s lad used to be at the City of Manchester Stadium, it speaks volumes that City fans are now not particularly bothered whether or not he signs a new contract. The right-winger is not the same dynamic, havoc-wreaking presence that he was before he left for the bright lights and crisp notes at Chelsea.

I'd love to know which City fans this writer spoke to

I think you might have said he bottled it on the big occassions which is not the case

No, i meant the biggest occasions, the all or nothing games.

Let's leave it at that before the mods get mad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 527 ✭✭✭EI111

Bubs101 wrote: »
    Van Persie is really overated right now by virtue of not playing. People are saying things about him now they weren't when he was playing just because Arsenal are lacking something up front at the moment. If any of their strikers were scoring reasonably such praise wouldn't be levelled at him but hacks are grasping for an answer

I think a lot of people spoke of his excellent form before he got injured. He looked very good before his injury. In my opinion he is very good all the time but too injury prone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Bubs101 wrote: »

van Persie is quality, just a shame he's injured so often.

• Advertisement
Advertisement