Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Top Ten: Overrated Premier League footballers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Bubs101 wrote: »
    Van Persie is really overated right now by virtue of not playing. People are saying things about him now they weren't when he was playing just because Arsenal are lacking something up front at the moment. If any of their strikers were scoring reasonably such praise wouldn't be levelled at him but hacks are grasping for an answer

8 goals and 8 assists in the 14 games he has played for Arsenal this season.
    20 goals and 13 assist in the 42 games he has played for Arsenal last season.
    71 goals and 36 assists in 188 appearances for Arsenal.

Hard to make a case that Arsenal wouldn't be in a better position if he were fit. Bendtner scored one against Sunderland at the weekend but it looked like the type of game where RvP would have scored 3 if he had been on the pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Van Persie is really overated right now by virtue of not playing. People are saying things about him now they weren't when he was playing just because Arsenal are lacking something up front at the moment. If any of their strikers were scoring reasonably such praise wouldn't be levelled at him but hacks are grasping for an answer

I dunno. If Van Persie wasn't injured so damn often Arsenal could achieve so much more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Bodhisopha wrote: »
    Because i was asked to elaborate on a small point i made in relation to someone saying Anelka bottled it on big occasions, you silly billy.

A point you made which has and had no relevance to the thread topic. Stop trying to take this (perfectly topical) thread off on another tangent you silly billy ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,171 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

No, i meant the biggest occasions, the all or nothing games.

France vs Ireland was a huge occasion, definitely an all or nothing game. He got a pretty important assist in that one. It's not all about the goals you know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

Kenywne Jones is up there amongst the most overrated in the league. There must be at least 15 better strikers better than him in the EPL. Thank Christ Liverpool didn't sign him.

Shaun Wright Phillips should not be up there. He is a quality winger and can be a real nightmare for a full back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

Boggles wrote: »
    I watched every season of Wrights career and believe me he was a different animal to the 2 but by no means was he not in the same class.

I used make sure I watched the gunners just for him, raw explosive talent and a complete joy to watch.

Southalls face at the end of this goal makes it.

I like that the ref got in on the celebration.Thats the good old days.
    France vs Ireland was a huge occasion, definitely an all or nothing game. He got a pretty important assist in that one. It's not all about the goals you know.

Timebomb!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

Ireland are hardly giants of world football though. That is a big game, no doubt, but not so much a big occasion.

Did anyone mention Lescott? He's way overrated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Lescott is a smashing call.

if he's worth £23m or whatever it was, i shudder to think what Jagielka would be worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

SlickRic wrote: »

He should have stayed with Everton imo

Ireland are hardly giants of world football though

Neither are Southampton, nor were Chelsea when Arsenal met them in the 2002 FA Cup Final.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,133 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Overated terribly by who exactly?

Every post I read about Berbs slats him? :confused:
    By the people who funded his move to United and also by Fergie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

if he's worth £23m or whatever it was, i shudder to think what Jagielka would be worth.

about 6 million.

Lescott wasn't worth 23 million or anywhere near that, but while he was at Everton, he was their best defender.

while he was at Everton, he was their best defender.

not in the games i saw.

i saw lescott scoring goals and getting plaudits in his first season, while defending pretty well.

jagielka was a defensive rock before his injury at the end of last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

about 6 million.

Lescott wasn't worth 23 million or anywhere near that, but while he was at Everton, he was their best defender.

I disagree. I don't think Jags was their best defender either. I actually don't think they had a best defender - it was more a case of the two of them together being greater than the sum of their parts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 391 ✭✭oconnon9

Did anyone mention Robinho???

Possibly the biggest flop ever

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 527 ✭✭✭EI111

oconnon9 wrote: »
    Did anyone mention Robinho???

Possibly the biggest flop ever

That's kind of different. He was a flop but that is different to being overrated at present. I think the main topic of this thread is who is overrated at the moment. I have seen flops done before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Disagree with a lot of names on that list. I'd go for something along the lines of (in no particular order):

1. Walcott
    2. Lescott
    3. Anderson
    4. Insua
    5. Rodallega
    6. Toure
    7. Almunia
    8. Ballack
    9. Agger
    10. Carrick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

lolwut?

Fair play to memento for supplying the stats. Because RVP is injured so damn much looking at the total goals scored is pretty useless. To show his importance to Arsenal it's better to look at the goals/game ratio.

In the last 3 seasons, taking only the league into account, he's played 51 times and scored 25 goals. That's a goal to game ratio of 0.49. That's marginally behind Drogba's at 0.492 and not far off Rooney's of 0.55. Torres is on 0.68 goals per league appearance.

He also averages among the highest amount of assists for a striker in the league, specifically 0.39 per game. Can't find the exact numbers to compare against, but I think it's significantly ahead of all of Rooney, Drogba and Torres (who in his 3 season's has never finished in the top 20 for assists it seems, odd for a player his calibre). To give a comparison, Fabregas (currently leading this season's chart) averaged 0.55 assists a game.

Statistically speaking RVP is up there with the best. Whether Arsene should flog him because he's so injury prone is a separate matter, but his quality on the pitch cannot be denied.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

While I don't really like the guy at all, I don't really think Michael Carrick is that overrated. He pops up with some cracking goals, has a good pass and always seems to play with passion. There are some far more dodgy players out there who get far more kudos than he does.

Adebayor (overrated by Man City management anyway) and Berbatov (overrated by Fergie and United's management) would be my two calls, though in fairness Berba's touch can be sublime and it's just his effortless vibe that makes him appear to be a lazy fúck (tho maybe he is just a lazy fúck...)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 527 ✭✭✭EI111

Torres (who in his 3 season's has never finished in the top 20 for assists it seems, odd for a player his calibre)

There is not really many around to score the goals for him to assist.

EI111 wrote: »
    There is not really many around to score the goals for him to assist.

Torres turns the opportunities that should be assists into goals for himself.

Feck passing when you are that good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

8 goals and 8 assists in the 14 games he has played for Arsenal this season.
    20 goals and 13 assist in the 42 games he has played for Arsenal last season.
    71 goals and 36 assists in 188 appearances for Arsenal.

stats only tell you so much, if i were to say a right winger over the past 4 seasons has scored 50 goals in 177 appearances and had 26 assists most would say "impressive", but that player outside L4 is considered one of the worst players to ever play the game by opposition fans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

rossie1977 wrote: »
    stats only tell you so much, if i were to say a right winger over the past 4 seasons has scored 50 goals in 177 appearances and had 26 assists most would say "impressive", but that player outside L4 is considered one of the worst players to ever play the game by opposition fans

His work rate is tremendous but, I think Benitez gives him a job to do and doesn't get the best out of him but, he does his job very well. Stats don't tell you everything but, if you can honestly say you've watched van Persie and haven't been impressed with him, then that's fine. His fitness counts against him but, I think he's up there with the best strikers in the league.

Agree that stats only tell some of the story but Van Persie's show how effective he is when he is on the pitch and make a pretty strong case for disproving the overrated suggestion made earlier in the thread.

Also leave Kuyt alone <insert net meme here>

Also just because some hypothetical unnamed opposition fans consider him one of the worst players to ever play the game, doesn't mean it's true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

my list

(for ****s and giggle and wind ups mainly)

no particular order

1. John Terry
    2. Steven Gerrard
    3. Gareth Barry
    4. Frank Lampard
    5. Carlos Tevez
    6. Jolean Lescott
    7. John Terry
    8. John Terry
    9. Ryan Giggs
    10. Jamie Carragher

Have plenty more but these are the most deserving that come to mind right now anyway

i want plenty of bites, although to be fair i have been honest with pretty much all of them i think

• Advertisement

jasonorr wrote: »
    His work rate is tremendous but, I think Benitez gives him a job to do and doesn't get the best out of him but, he does his job very well. Stats don't tell you everything but, if you can honestly say you've watched van Persie and haven't been impressed with him, then that's fine. His fitness counts against him but, I think he's up there with the best strikers in the league.

RVP is without a doubt in the top 4 strikers in the league, if he could stay fit more he could be even better then that

quality quality player

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Jordonvito

berba is magic, his scoring record this year has been more than one in two, games he's started, if anything hes underated, he is key part of united ripping the lesser teams to shreds, hes been in top form of late

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭larchielads

anyone think of a 1 to 11 of over rated players any formation at all just to see what we can come up with? even a 1 to 11 of PL history.
    cant think right now to post one of my own its the wrong hour of the mornin for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭kingshankly

For me it's in no particular order
    John Terry
    Shawn right Phillips
    gallas
    lescott
    jenas
    kuyt(even if he is rated as average it's still too high)
    Barry
    adebayor
    glen Johnson
    Stewart downing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

this thread should be ****in blown up. lampard?gallas?gerrard?van persie?henry?tevez? Are people messing?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Lol at Bellamy being included. He is probably the most consistantly good player I have seen. If anything I would say he is under rated because he can be a complete twat at times (which I am sure he will agree with).

I think the most over rated player at the moment (although he seems to be falling out of favour) is Anderson. If he were anywhere other than United, he would be considered mediocre.

Disagree with a lot of names on that list. I'd go for something along the lines of (in no particular order):

1. Walcott
    2. Lescott
    3. Anderson

4. Insua
    5. Rodallega
    6. Toure
    7. Almunia
    8. Ballack
    9. Agger

10. Carrick

all excellent shouts to be honest.

i'd only question Insua and Rodallega really.

Insua is young, and isn't really rated as anything other than a promising youngster. Rafael at United is far more 'overrated', you'd swear he was the second coming the way some go on about him. they're very similar.

unfortunately Agger is a good shout. he lives off his reputation and long-range goals. he's good, but definitely not as good as many of my Liverpool brethren claim he is.

i rate Rodallega. the only problem I have with him right now is he plays in spurts. but he's definitely got the potential. not a world beater, but i don't think anyone would claim he is. but a more than adequate Premiership standard striker IMO.

and just to do my own formation of overrated players...

Sorensen
    Richards
    Agger
    Lescott
    Bridge
    Carrick
    Jenas
    Walcott
    Anderson
    J. Cole
    Adebayor

Almunia overrated? What? He's absolute muck and everybody knows it.

There is a difference between a player being overrated and a player playing for a top team even though he's shíte.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Insua is young, and isn't really rated as anything other than a promising youngster. Rafael at United is far more 'overrated', you'd swear he was the second coming the way some go on about him. they're very similar.

Hilarious you take issue with Insua been mentioned and you defend him by claiming he is young and shouldn't be judged, then drag up Rafael and do the opposite, although he is 2 years younger than Insua.

Gas altogether!!!

Hilarious you take issue with Insua been mentioned and you defend him by claiming he is young and shouldn't be judged, then drag up Rafael and do the opposite, although he is 2 years younger than Insua.

Gas altogether!!!

IMO Rafael is hyped up more than Insua.

Insua's got mentioned plenty of times in this thread, and i think a little unfairly, i was just making a correlation with another young South American player, who i believe has in fact been hyped up more, yet is not all that different in terms of quality.

that was my point.

IMO Rafael is hyped up more than Insua.

Insua's got mentioned plenty of times in this thread, and i think a little unfairly, i was just making a correlation with another young South American player, who i believe has in fact been hyped up more, yet is not all that different in terms of quality.

that was my point.

Who hypes Rafael beyond what he is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,681 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

i think Given is over rated.

Who hypes Rafael beyond what he is?

i'm not getting into an argument about this.

i'm not comparing utd thread comments about Rafael to liverpool thread comments about Insua.

i've already explained my impressions that Rafael gets hyped a bit more.

if you don't agree that's fair enough.

my main point is that Insua gets a hard time for being remarkably similar in terms of attacking prowess and defensive dodginess as Rafael. yet Rafael isn't considered overrated.

Insua gets a hard time, that's the main jist of what i'm trying to say.

and i think it's mainly because he has to play every week due to the fact Aurelio is made of straw.

i'm not getting into and argument about this.

i'm not comparing utd thread comments about Rafael to liverpool thread comments about Insua.

my main point is that Insua gets a hard time for being remarkably similar in terms of attacking prowess and defensive dodginess as Rafael. yet Rafael isn't considered overrated.

Insua is older as I already pointed out. Rafael to be fair to him is playing at the highest level and at one of the biggest clubs in the world, he is constantly under the microscope.

I can only go on what I have seen of both of them and for me Rafael is the better player already, I like Insua though and would forgive the defensive lapses for the time being as this can only really be solved with experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

i'm not getting into an argument about this.

and i think it's mainly because he has to play every week due to the fact Aurelio is made of straw.

Insua's main weakness is his lack of pace, that can not be coached into him.

• Advertisement

The Muppet wrote: »

i can't argue that.

which will mean he has to work on his positional sense a lot more than maybe Rafael will going into the future.

i think Rafael does edge Insua by the way, i didn't claim otherwise.

i just think Insua gets a much harder time of it than he deserves.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

kryogen wrote: »
    my list

(for ****s and giggle and wind ups mainly)

9. Ryan Giggs

i want plenty of bites
    I see what you did there

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

The Muppet wrote: »

if he lost 2-3 stone then he might actually be able to run a little better :p

i think people need to differentiate between "over-rated" and "being a bad player"

just because someone is over-rated doesn't mean they are bad, its means they are over-rated by a section of the media/fans. you could be the best player on earth and still be over-rated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

you could be the best player on earth and still be over-rated.

I'd say you probably deserve the praise when ya get to that stage eh?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Headshot wrote: »

Cyclical.

I think he is underrated in England now.

He is being called Hollywood Shay alot. Think it has to do with him being at a bigger club now.

Insua is surely not overrated?

I think he is a below average player for LFC.

most players who are English are overhyped (by the english media for sure)

most players who play in La Liga are overhyped (cause its fashionable at the moment

actually, an awful lot of players are overrated in some quarters, this doesnt make them bad players though, like Rossi said, you could almost be the best player in the world and still be overhyped/overrated

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

Headshot wrote: »

have always maintained this

Given is an odd one to me, i just cant work out how highly i rate him myself even

he is an excellent shot stopper, but his command of his area isnt amazing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Robinho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Rio Ferdinand - wouldn't put his baby finger into challenges where Vidic would put his head - for a CB has absolutely no heart or balls imo.

Advertisement