Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbour Planting Trees blocking light

Options
  • 25-02-2010 6:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Just about to finish building my new home and my neighbours are starting to plant a row of trees in front of our view and evening light. These are troublesome neighbours who only use the field for agricultural purposes and their house isn't anywhere near the trees or our house, we can't even see their house.
    Is there anything I can do to stop them - legally. If they are approached they wouldn't even listen.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

Little MoS wrote: »
    Just about to finish building my new home and my neighbours are starting to plant a row of trees in front of our view and evening light. These are troublesome neighbours who only use the field for agricultural purposes and their house isn't anywhere near the trees or our house, we can't even see their house.
    Is there anything I can do to stop them - legally. If they are approached they wouldn't even listen.

Not much you can do really, if the trees start to overhang your property then you can cut them back to the boundary but you must offer the clippings back, or else you can be accused of stealing :rolleyes:
    I know how much of a problem this is as i live with it. My rear garden is south facing so we had beautiful light from early morning until evening time. That is until my difficult neighbor planted bloody light blocking Leylandii. They are completely out of control over 50ft high now (my garden is 25ft deep) and stretch another 30ft either side of our garden and go down either side of their house, so now we get a slither of light each day. Its really no different to having a 50ft concrete wall surrounding your property only you don't need planning permission.:confused:There is a law in the UK now for this situation.
    Hopefully for your sake they ain't Leylandii.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

It might be worth getting on to the council and seeing what they say. You may have some comeback.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

The best you can do is sit down with your neighbour and chat over a cup of tea and try and reach a compromise that is acceptable to both parties.

There is nothing (apart from trimming ovehanging branches) you can do and there is no legal right to nice views or sunlight.

If there is no obvious threat to public safety/utilities, councils or authorities will also have no interest in the matter.

Diplomacy is the only route possibly open.

Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭Guell72

I posted this in another thread. It might be useful to you OP.

Just thought people would like to read about this.

Personally, i hope this is brought in. I'll be emailing my support to local councilors to make sure they take note. My mothers neighbors trees are about 40ft high. I dont think the garden has seen the sun in about 20 years, but they wont allow them to be cut down to even 15 feet. Im sick of seeing her upset about it.

http://www.herald.ie/national-news/city-news/now-council-wants-control-of-your-garden-2072240.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Scottie99

Maybe some weedkiller might do the job;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

Scottie99 wrote: »
    Maybe some weedkiller might do the job;)

True. Some Garlon in a syringe injected beneath the bark will take care of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Caoimhín wrote: »
    True. Some Garlon in a syringe injected beneath the bark will take care of them.
    Let's see. Trespass, Wilful damage, there's two to be going on with.
    Diplomacy is the only option, maybe a mutually respected intermediary like a clergyman. Good luck.

bmaxi wrote: »
    Let's see. Trespass, Wilful damage, there's two to be going on with..

Only if you are caught.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭Guell72

Let's see. Trespass, Wilful damage, there's two to be going on with.

Only if you get caught :D

Seriously though. If this came into law then it would solve so many disputes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Only if you are caught.

That's a risk you take, prisons the world over are full of people who thought they wouldn't get caught.
    I think the Op's neighbour, suddenly finding a batch of trees all dying on the boundary line might be just a wee bit suspicious and would keep a closer eye on subsequent plantings. Net result is the same row of trees plus an even more uncooperative neighbour.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Diplomacy is the only option
    Diplomacy doesn't work with such people.
    You have an advantage in that the trees are only starting off, but killing them outright will only lead to (well founded) accusations.
    Aim to keep them stunted; as bonzai trees they will not be a problem.
    Occasional applications of a salt solution might be a start.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

The sort of people who plant leyandi out of spite are not the sort of people who take any notice of the trees' welfar.
    If you did poison them the'd probably think it was a disease or something and give it no further thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dardevle

any clue as to what kind of tree they are?....big difference in lylandii and a slow growing deciduous.

could they be using the field for agri purposes such as forestry?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Little MoS

They are planting a mixture of leylandii and birch/ash trees, don't mind them as much planting the latter but its the leylandii that'll cause the majority of problems.
    They are only planting 2 rows of trees which are enclosed by a fence that they erected first, the rest of the field is used by sheep.

Going to leave it about 2 years until suspicion will have passed then may use something to stunt they're growth, is a salt solution worth trying or is there something else

These people are doing this out of spite, there is no point talking to them, this would only make matters a lot worse.

Going to leave it about 2 years until suspicion will have passed then may use something to stunt they're growth, is a salt solution worth trying or is there something else

Go into the nearest farm supplier, buy a half liter of Triclopyr (Garlon), you can also buy a syringe (for injecting cattle). All it needs is a small squirt in under the bark which will leave no trace. Dont do all of them at once or you will raise suspicion, maybe 3 or 4 close together to start with and then the next year get another few.

Wow, i should write spy novels!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Little MoS

Thanks for that. Advice is greatly appreciated.

They are planting a mixture of leylandii and birch/ash trees, don't mind them as much planting the latter but its the leylandii that'll cause the majority of problems.
    They are only planting 2 rows of trees which are enclosed by a fence that they erected first, the rest of the field is used by sheep.

These people are doing this out of spite, there is no point talking to them, this would only make matters a lot worse.

Do remember poisoning neighbour's trees, no matter what your grievance might be is irresponsible, unlawful, and easily detectable.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭katana1

I am sorry to hear about your situation.
    As far as I know if they are blocking light you can do something legally.
    The easiest and cheapest way would be to contact the citizens advice or ring a local solicitor.
    Please don't do anything illegal as people like these would love to get you in trouble .
    I hope you get this sorted as there is nothing worse than inconsiderate neighbours.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,493 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Caoimhín, I know your trying to be helpful but suggesting trespass and damage to property isn't an acceptable response

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,527 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i'm surprised this thread hasn't been pulled. people recommending criminal damage is not something i thought would be welcomed by the site admins.

and i would heartily endorse the notion that anyone who would contemplate doing something like this is a greater **** than the person they think they are taking just revenge on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,440 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Are you sure they are leylandii? Birch, ash and leylandii is a very odd mixture.
    If your neighbour is not living close to the planting there is every chance that they will not all make it, they could be overgrown with weeds, dry out, be nibbled by hares, and most of them are going to take a good while to get big enough to be a problem, by which time anything could have happened.

Birch would not really cut your light, it is very open, and Ash is not too bad. The conifer of whatever variety is another matter, but why not wait a while and see what happens. I don't think there is a great deal you can do about it, legally anyway, as I think at present you have no 'right to light' in that situation.

There is a situation near where I live where a leylandii hedge has been planted beside a house, quite unnecessarily and in a residential area. It blocks the neighbours' view of the sea completely. It looks so bad-minded I wonder how the owners live there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

If these trees will at any time in the future block the sunlight from your house/garden talk to your neighbour now. We have a small 50' x 50' suburban back garden. The garden faces south west and got lovely afternoon and evening sun, as did the rooms at the back of the house. Problem is for the last number of years the neighbours either side have left trees grow to enormous height. On one side 40' Ash trees (wild saplings that weren't pulled) and on the other side Eucalyptus that are touching the sky!. I run around the garden with a chair in the summer to follow the few sunny spots. Unfortunately, both neighbours are lone female parents now and couldn't give a toss about either their own gardens or my need for sun.

Cabaal wrote: »
    Caoimhín, I know your trying to be helpful but suggesting trespass and damage to property isn't an acceptable response

Point taken. However, I deal with these things professionally and in 99% of the cases, the trees are not planted as a windbreak or for aesthetics.

Nasty people do these things out of spite.

Im sorry, but the only way to deal with such a provocation is to fight fire with fire. Legally the OP will get nowhere. If he enters into dialogue with the neighbor about the trees it will bring suspicion apon him if any trees die.

Alas, with stupid, ignorant and bad people the only way to deal with these things is to take a proactive, premeditated, "first strike" stance. It would be nigh impossible to prove in a court of law that the OP carried out any act of vandalism or trespass. The owner would need to pay thousands for foliar analysis and expert arboricultural testimony to prove any wrong doing.

Point taken. However, I deal with these things professionally and in 99% of the cases, the trees are not planted as a windbreak or for aesthetics.

Im sorry, but the only way to deal with such a provocation is to fight fire with fire. Legally the OP will get nowhere. If he enters into dialogue with the neighbor about the trees it will bring suspicion apon him if any trees die.

Alas, with stupid, ignorant and bad people the only way to deal with these things is to take a proactive, premeditated, "first strike" stance. It would be nigh impossible to prove in a court of law that the OP carried out any act of vandalism or trespass. The owner would need to pay thousands for foliar analysis and expert arboricultural testimony to prove any wrong doing.

Probably the most revealing and unprofessional post I've ever read on any DIY gardening forum. Quite outrageous really!:mad:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,493 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

You deal with things Professionally?
    As in your make it your business to knowingly break the law....yeah thats professional :rolleyes:

I'm sorry that doesn't cut it, any further discussions of this nature will be deleted and the poster banned.

Just because you might believe its ok to break the law doesn't make it ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

I really dont know if this apply s but might be worth checking out in the planning forum.

If it was a building your next door neighbor was building, you would have really good grounds for objection as one is not allowed to block natural sun light or obstruct a view to another's property.

A tree might not have the same grounds, but a whole line of them might.

I would look into it. Just to be sure. It might add weight to your argument .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

Guell72 wrote: »
    I posted this in another thread. It might be useful to you OP.

Just thought people would like to read about this.

Personally, i hope this is brought in. I'll be emailing my support to local councilors to make sure they take note. My mothers neighbors trees are about 40ft high. I dont think the garden has seen the sun in about 20 years, but they wont allow them to be cut down to even 15 feet. Im sick of seeing her upset about it.

http://www.herald.ie/national-news/city-news/now-council-wants-control-of-your-garden-2072240.html

Apply to have them removed or cut on the grounds of safety.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

at the risk of the bann stick a shot of urea will solve all probs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Northeastmike

Dig a trench along the boundry and the tree roots will be dtarved of water when they enter your property

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Northeastmike

Did a trench along the boundry and when the tree roots come out they wont have any water on your side and the trees wont grow so quick

Advertisement