Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this dodgy?

Options
  • 25-02-2010 6:21pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭

I was on a website recently and came across a bulldog puppy. I emailed the person who put up the ad and have had a few replies but for some reason im just not sure about it. What do ye think?
    Sent: 25 February 2010 16:44:55
    To: XXX (xxx@hotmail.com)
    Hello dear,
    you are to pay just for the delivery of Kelly to your home address,which will cost you 120€ for the delivery of Kelly,so if you know you afford for the delivery of the Kelly,to your home then i will need this information from you,

Your full names ,
    Your full home address ,
    Your area postal code ,
    Your contact telephone number .

with this information you can have Kelly at home tomorrow morning,so i will be waiting for your information.

--- On Thu, 2/25/10, XXX <xxx@hotmail.com> wrote:

Subject: RE: Kelly
    To: xxx@yahoo.com
    Date: Thursday, February 25, 2010, 4:11 PM

How much will it cost in total (Puppy and delivery)

Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2010 04:27:27 -0800
    Subject: RE: Kelly
    To: xxx@hotmail.com

Hello,

My name is Vera
    I live in Scotland

Although we are located far apart , it is still possible for the
    female Bulldog puppy (Kelly) to get to you by air transport .

Since you are located in ,(Limerick), i can send the puppy to
    you , through a pets delivery agency , and you pay for the delivery
    cost to the agency .

From my inquiries at Pets Transporters Agency here in Scotland , the
    delivery cost from Scotland to any home address in Limerick is 120€
    for the puppy . And the puppy will be delivered at your door step
    after about 2-3 hours .

For the puppy to be delivered directly at your home , the data the
    agency would need from you are :

Your full names ,
    Your full home address ,
    Your area postal code ,
    Your contact telephone number .

The puppy will be delivered with all Current vaccinations ,
    Veterinarian examination , Health certificate , Health guarantee ,
    Pedigree papers and all other necessary documents .

You will find it as an attachment , recent photos of the puppy.

If all is confirmed , send the required data for us to proceed with delivery .

Regards

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭jamesie_boy

To say that is fishy would be an understatement. So to answer your question, yes, dodgy as fcuk

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Thats a well known nigerian scam thats been doing the rounds for quiet a while. Stay well away from this.

http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/AmazingAnimals/story?id=4392366&page=1
    http://www.scam.com/showthread.php?t=28601

A pedigree bulldog would set you back over €1,000, some are selling for up to €3,000. Also even if it was legit you should never buy a dog without seeing its parents.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Ok lads and lassies, thanks a million.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

You should not be buying a puppy without seeing the environment it was raised in, there are puppy farms all over the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Kev M

Madness... stay away.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭SCI

I used to work in the cargo department in the City airport Belfast and spoke to poor people who had fallen for this scam on a near weekly basis. Another part of the scam is they ask you to phone them on a 070 number which looks like the start of a UK mobile phone but in fact is a premium rate number. :mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

I wont be doing this but will string along the fúcker for a while

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Please dont do this, you are only encouraging these people and verifying your contact details with them. Best thing you can do is forget about it and ignore them.

As the saying goes, if it sounds too good to be true it is!

Please dont ever buy a dog in this manner, you need to get a breeder recommended to you and go and visit the breeder and the premises and see the dogs with the owner. Never agree to have an animal shipped to you or get them to arrange delivery as god knows where the animal started off and what conditions it was raised in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

andreac wrote: »
    Never agree to have an animal shipped to you or get them to arrange delivery as god knows where the animal started off and what conditions it was raised in.

Yep! Deliver pizzas, not puppies.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭CreedonsDogDayc

good luck in your search for a pup, but you'll come across LOADS of these scams in your hunt. they usually use a professional photo (in a flower pot, or sitting with a background).

When I put my car up on carzone for sale I used to get emails every day from these kind of scams. its exhausting, but best thing to do is always phone the number, dont email.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Indubitable

who sends an email at 4 in the morning at GMT time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Cool Runnings

Why dont you ask about going to view the puppy in Scotland. Let them know your going their on holidays and would love to see her !]
    They wont be long fooking off

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭crotalus667

who sends an email at 4 in the morning at GMT time?
    I do , :D

on a side note you can spot these a mile off , english that is slightly off (like it was translated online) usealy just a one line er with not details , it's such a pain in the arse when your looking for a pup and all you can find are these fake adds

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭fifib

Ive come across a few of these too recently which looking into getting a Beagle puppy. 1st lady sent me lots of photos of the puppies but after a few emails back and forth and her dodging my questions of where in Galway she was based and how much she was selling puppys for I thought something was not quite right! Turns out shes in Scotland but for only €250 i could get dog couriered over here. Told her i was not prepared to purchase a dog without seeing it first in its own home but she kept emailing me saying she was not selling the puppies but giving them up for adoption and the 250 was for transportation costs!

Another guy whose ad said Limerick turned out to be in London sent me email back with pictures of the puppy except it wasnt the Beagle in the ad but a terrier!! looking for €200 to fly the dog over!

Advertisement