Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Veggie in work!

Options
  • 25-02-2010 6:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭

hey guys, I'm 2 days into my third attempt to becoming veggie! I'm determined to stick with it this time and have ordered the vegetarian student cookbook, at the moment I'm living off Quorn products from tesco's but plan to learn the secret behind chick peas! my downfall previously was not learning how to cook veggie for myself so I'm definatly going to give it a shot this time around

during work however I'm really stuck for brunch/lunch ideas the last two days I've just eaten crossaints+crisps! anyone have any easy to make/buy alternatives to get me through?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Getwellsoon

I really don't know where to start recommending things, seeing as there are far more options than croissants and crisps out there for a veggie lunch in work!! :p

How about:

- Falafels in pitta bread with a mixed salad
    - Any kind of veggie soup with a nice wholewheat bread
    - Baked potato with cheese and beans or sliced veggie sausages
    - Vegetable Cous Cous / Tabbouleh / Rice Salad
    - Veggie Curry and an Onion Bhaji
    - Macaroni Cheese
    - Vegetarian Ravioli
    - Tomatoey cheesey Pasta bake
    - Ciabatta or bagel with cream cheese, sundried tomatoes, rocket & pesto
    - Soya mince cottage pies

all these are easy to buy in any supermarket for quick, convenient and tasty veggie lunches!

Until you learn to cook, just get yourself down to a health food shop and have a look in their refrigerated section. You'll probably see loads of things there that you can have for lunch. I'm sure in any good deli you'll be able to fill a wrap with something nice and meat-free, or have something from the salad bar. At least something more nourishing than croissants and crisps!!

For snacks alongside a main meal try some nuts, fruit, seeds, dried fruit, sesame snaps, flapjack type bars, dark chocolate... yoghurt...?

Just use your imagination! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭wonderboysam

thanks dude I appreciate the much needed guidence! am really excited about my veg cookbook cant wait for it to arrive and kick some vegtable ass! :pac:

- Any kind of veggie soup with a nice wholewheat bread

currently on my lunch break eating this right now :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Getwellsoon

Good man! You'll soon get into the swing of things. Just remember - cheese and eggs aren't the be all and end all of veggie food either, a lot of people go veggie and wonder why they are putting on weight on a "healthier" lifestyle, but fail to notice that they are substituting their meat with too much cheese/dairy. There's no need to go overboard on those things, but everything is good in moderation. If you need any more info on products, recipe ideas, or any other question just gizz us a shout on here and we'll steer you in the right direction! I'm actually vegan myself and manage to eat quick, creative, nutritional and cheap meals on a daily basis, so thinking up veggie recipes would be easy for me!

Which cookbook did you get? I see you ordered it online... sometimes it is better to go into a shop first and have a look at the books. It is disappointing when you get a cookbook and it arrives and you discover the recipes look really complicated with loads of ingredients and no pictures!! So look at some in the shops and see what you like the look of, THEN order them on Amazon or something. Second hand bookshops and charity shops usually have loads of good cook books too. Chapters in town (if you're from Dublin) have a good secondhand cooking section too. Then of course you can always find lots of recipes online!

I love making my own veggie burgers, they are simple and satisfying and very easy to make, so you should look up a few recipes as the combinations are endless! you can put tofu, eggs, chickpeas, mushrooms, beans, sweet potatoes, cous cous, seeds, corn... anything into them! Mmmmm.

OH... and stirfries are super simple, super healthy and super easy too!

was never a fan of cheese nor dairy so that shouldnt be a problem!

I judged my book by its cover! got 'The vegetarian student cookbook' I got the impression from those 4 words that the recipes would be cheap and easy to prepare, fingers crossed!

I had a browse in Waterstones one of the biggest bookshops down here and they had about 10 veggie books but all of the recipes seemed so complicated full of ingredients I hadnt realised existed!

bought falafels in tesco today will prepare them for work sunday! have totally stocked up with linda mccartney products/quorn items from tescos have enough food for two weeks kinda hooked on shopping for veggie items lol, if I walk past a health shop I'll stop turn around and go in just to look at the food same with the veggie section in tescos!

thanks for the advice once again dude, should probaly let the thread lie from here people dont need an update of my life! talk to you in OT thread and other ones man ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

hey guys, I'm 2 days into my third attempt to becoming veggie! I'm determined to stick with it this time and have ordered the vegetarian student cookbook, at the moment I'm living off Quorn products from tesco's but plan to learn the secret behind chick peas! my downfall previously was not learning how to cook veggie for myself so I'm definatly going to give it a shot this time around

during work however I'm really stuck for brunch/lunch ideas the last two days I've just eaten crossaints+crisps! anyone have any easy to make/buy alternatives to get me through?

Let us know what you would have had for lunch before, so we can maybe come up with similar items?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭cocoa

I got the vegetarian student cookbook a while ago. I liked it, no pictures, but fairly simple meals / recipes with straightforward directions. Mostly I found it useful for ideas and for various ingredients I wouldn't have thought of adding myself. Definitely a good starting point anyway IMO =)

enjoy

Shenshen wrote: »
    Let us know what you would have had for lunch before, so we can maybe come up with similar items?

hello! my lunch breaks are at 10 & 1 so usually I would waltz into o'briens at 10 and avail of their student deal which was a sandwich & coffee for 3.75, value! and then at 1 I'd normally just go to centra/spar and get another sandwich

nowadays I've been getting 2 crossaints+coffee at 10 and then at 1 going from centra to centra to find one thats serving either potato & leek or vegtable soup!

cocoa wrote: »
    I got the vegetarian student cookbook a while ago. I liked it, no pictures, but fairly simple meals / recipes with straightforward directions. Mostly I found it useful for ideas and for various ingredients I wouldn't have thought of adding myself. Definitely a good starting point anyway IMO =)

enjoy

awesome! thats great news really looking forward to its arrival

Advertisement