Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

where can i buy a power supply for external harddrive

Options
  • 25-02-2010 6:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

i have a freecom hard drive xl 1tb, and the powert supply is no longer working, and i whish to purchase a new one (i have included a link to show you which power supply i require) the power requirments are: 5V/2.0 A, 12V/2.0A does anybody know of any shops in dublin were i could buy one of these, or a similar one. I live in dublin. Any help would be great. Thanks.
    http://www.freecom.com/ecproduct_detail.asp?ID=3986&CatID=8040&sCatID=1146390&ssCatID=1146390

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

ray27 wrote: »
    i have a freecom hard drive xl 1tb, and the powert supply is no longer working, and i whish to purchase a new one (i have included a link to show you which power supply i require) the power requirments are: 5V/2.0 A, 12V/2.0A does anybody know of any shops in dublin were i could buy one of these, or a similar one. I live in dublin. Any help would be great. Thanks.
    http://www.freecom.com/ecproduct_detail.asp?ID=3986&CatID=8040&sCatID=1146390&ssCatID=1146390

try Peats or Maplins or Radionics

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

sometimes the eurovalue shops have multi range psus for 2 euro, otherwise they are about 6 euro in tommys in blanchardstown dublin. the multi select units will be the cheapest option for this imo

• Registered Users Posts: 8 ray27

Carlow52 wrote: »
    try Peats or Maplins or Radionics
    Stoner wrote: »
    sometimes the eurovalue shops have multi range psus for 2 euro, otherwise they are about 6 euro in tommys in blanchardstown dublin. the multi select units will be the cheapest option for this imo

thanks for the replies , i tried peats maplains but nojoy, guy in maplins said that the manufactur which is freecom, has done this delibralty so as 2 buy direct from them, i have tried 2 purchase this from their site but they hav told me they dont sell them separatly. its an unuasul connection as it only has 4 pins. the model number is ac adapter PAG0342. anymore help would be great, as i hav alot of stuff on this drive that i need to acess, is their any otherway i can get this drive to work whitout the power supply, i have heard that i can take it out of its orignal casing and put it into a new cradle with a different power supply, anybody no anything about this? i wil try tommys in blanchardstown. thanks

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Tommy's in Blanchardstown is now closed!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

well without getting in computers, it is usually very easy to open a case and take out the hard drive and pop it into a pc or a hard drive case , you will need to kow if its SATA, or ide and its size, a standard pc size drive or a 2.5 inch laptop drive.

there are are all kinds of hands bits and bobs that will allow a hard drive to interface with a pc.

• Advertisement

Stoner wrote: »
    well without getting in computers, it is usually very easy to open a case and take out the hard drive and pop it into a pc or a hard drive case , you will need to kow if its SATA, or ide and its size, a standard pc size drive or a 2.5 inch laptop drive.

there are are all kinds of hands bits and bobs that will allow a hard drive to interface with a pc.

i know its a sata 3.5, the thing is the freecom harddrive is 9.5inch by 6.5inch in size, i have an external case for a harddrive but it is smaller in size than the freecom one (7inch by 4inch). i got it in peats were the guy told me that it wood fit, but as i hav said there is a big size difference between the two. i havent opend the case of the freecom yet, because i asume it wouldnt fit into a smaller case. i was wondering how big would the auctual drive be inside the freecom, as why would the manufactuer put a harddrive into a big case. any help would be great. thanks

finally got it sorted, i opened the freecom drive, to discover that was 2 500gb drives inside. so i put them into external caddys (which i got in peats foir 25 euro) and retrieved the info from them. and now hav 2 external 500gb drives. again thanks for all those who helped.

Advertisement