Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Young Bull Beef trade

• 25-02-2010 6:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭

Hey, Is the bull beef trade doing well these days? I am asking because i was thinking of keeping 7 or 8 of my best BB and blonde weanlings.

At the moment i sell all my calves once they are weaned and in condition but i was thinking of keeping a few for bull beef if the money was better.

I was thinking of killing the blondes at 15 months and BB and 17 months.
    I am also going to feed them a maize based ration and straw. Protein at around 16% to be lowed to 14% a few weeks before killing.

The diet is going to be mainly based on high energy and fibre

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

if they are good enough for export then let them go, i kept 1 bb heifer last year as she was out of the biggest blonde cow and she was very wide in the pelvic area thought she would make a good suckler, she got summer mastitis in 2 teats and that put an end to plan 1, she did not get sick and had no setbacks over the mastitis, basically i fed her over the winter she killed out a u3- she made 1123 € , if i had sold her as a weanling with the others she would have made 1000€ , as far as i am concerned a waste of money finishing good cattle in this country. good bb bulls are makeing 2.50/ 3.00€ a kg now for export.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

leg wax wrote: »
    as far as i am concerned a waste of money finishing good cattle in this country. good bb bulls are makeing 2.50/ 3.00€ a kg now for export.

couldnt agree more, my neighbour sold the last his bulls to an exporter
    €1420 each, 11 to 13 months old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

snowman707 wrote: »

Now that's good money.

It's madness finishing cattle in this country. I'd often be up at Ennis mart and you'd see weanlings making more than the 1,000euro mark. You's go to the ring next door and the finished cattle, around 30 months only making that aswell.
    Realistically, what has it cost to bring those finished cattle to that stage?:mad:

The sooner they open up the store trade to the UK the better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

snowman707 wrote: »
    could you find out from your neighbour when and to which exporter he sold his bulls please. legs

Advertisement