Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jazzy guitar licks/scales

Options
  • 25-02-2010 7:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭

I recently started doing a bit of jazz theory, so far I find it very interesting.
    Anyone got any examples of some multi - purpose jazz guitar licks, or scales that I could learn to start off. I know this might be like asking how long is a piece of string but sure why not :D

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Just play something with a bunch of 7th chords and call it good ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Forest Master

I recently started doing a bit of jazz theory, so far I find it very interesting.
    Anyone got any examples of some multi - purpose jazz guitar licks, or scales that I could learn to start off. I know this might be like asking how long is a piece of string but sure why not :D

Thanks
    Learn your mixolydian mode (and chord progressions) along with your maj7, m7, & dom7 arpeggios. And don't be afraid to approach notes from the fret in front or behind it with a quick slide.

Jazz 101^^.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭18AD

Check these out:
    http://www.rickpeckham.com/lessons.htm

Here's Pat Martino. Check out his website for lessons aswell.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Dur8uocnBY

• Registered Users Posts: 2 elche

this is a good place to start, it has an extensive list of scales to set you on your way. http://www.outsideshore.com/primer/primer/

• Registered Users Posts: 46 franamico

Thanks

Hey Peter,
    Glad to hear that you got into blues.

Just a quick note on "multi purpose" licks.
    They simply don't exist.
    The best thing you can do is transcribe a few choruses from any guitarist that you like and understand the relationship with the chords in that particular bar.
    Learn those licks and apply them wherever you can. Learn two licks a week and soon you'll develop a broad vocabulary.
    If you are looking for jazz theory get the Mark Levive Jazz Theory Book. That's the bible of Jazz Theory.
    I whish you good luck

Francesco

• Advertisement

So, back to the old dilemma. Do I have to learn patterns or make them on the spot? I just want to be myself... I don't want to sound like anybody else... sounds familiar?

Well, I was there, years ago in my late teens, when my guitar teacher wanted me to transcribe Wes Montgomery's solos and learn them by heart. I just wanted to sound fresh, original... I just wanted to be myself.
    And learning somebody else' s guitar solos felt like repressing my creative instinct.

Guess what... I still want to be free from having to keep in mind licks. But I can't help remembering them while I play... confused? You should be.

You see, a great deal of what you do today is the result of what you learned in the past... consciously and unconsciously. The words and phrases that you use, the gestures that you make when you speak, and yes... the music you play when you solo on the guitar come from what you learned in the past.

Your brain acquired that information and internalized it. Filtered and reorganized it. This information is stored in your long-term memory and accessed every time it is needed to carry out a task that requires it.

So, when you are playing your solo, you are using all the information you have stored in your brain until that moment. However, the output will be filtered once again by your neurology and will also be the result of the adaptation to a specific context (a song with different chord changes for example, where you need to transpose the original key of your phrases).

In other words, you'll be playing original solos using the licks that you studied. Voila'!

This seems quite easy to understand in logical terms. It is a COMPLETELY different story when it comes to performing.

Have you ever been in a situation when in the middle of a solo you start thinking: "Maybe I should play a fast lick now", or: "this is too simple...I should play something more complicated...". And while you are busy saying that, you realize that you just lost the song form or your creative train of thought.

So how do you let the music come out and use your memory to your advantage?

I thought you'd never ask...

Try this: sit down and breathe deeply 4 or 5 times. Then from that state, play whatever note wants to come out, with no timing, following no harmonic structure. Just do this for 5 minutes. Don't worry if it sounds terrible. In fact, your goal should be sounding bad... as bad as you can... just let go of any judgment and let your fingers move as if they were 4 little mice on the guitar neck. And whenever you catch yourself thinking, stop... just stop playing.

Then, as soon the 5 minutes have past, stop, get up and do something else. Do this every time you practice soloing, especially after you have been practicing within specific restrictions. Very soon you'll be able to find this state of mind while you are playing your solos and you'll find that you are capable of playing with more "taste" and creativity than you can possibly think of. Just leave worry and fear of being judged out of your mind. Enjoy your music... have fun.

Good Luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭stevejazzx

franamico wrote: »
    So, back to the old dilemma. Do I have to learn patterns or make them on the spot? I just want to be myself... I don't want to sound like anybody else... sounds familiar?

Well, I was there, years ago in my late teens, when my guitar teacher wanted me to transcribe Wes Montgomery's solos and learn them by heart. I just wanted to sound fresh, original... I just wanted to be myself.
    And learning somebody else' s guitar solos felt like repressing my creative instinct.

Guess what... I still want to be free from having to keep in mind licks. But I can't help remembering them while I play... confused? You should be.

You see, a great deal of what you do today is the result of what you learned in the past... consciously and unconsciously. The words and phrases that you use, the gestures that you make when you speak, and yes... the music you play when you solo on the guitar come from what you learned in the past.

Your brain acquired that information and internalized it. Filtered and reorganized it. This information is stored in your long-term memory and accessed every time it is needed to carry out a task that requires it.

So, when you are playing your solo, you are using all the information you have stored in your brain until that moment. However, the output will be filtered once again by your neurology and will also be the result of the adaptation to a specific context (a song with different chord changes for example, where you need to transpose the original key of your phrases).

In other words, you'll be playing original solos using the licks that you studied. Voila'!

This seems quite easy to understand in logical terms. It is a COMPLETELY different story when it comes to performing.

Have you ever been in a situation when in the middle of a solo you start thinking: "Maybe I should play a fast lick now", or: "this is too simple...I should play something more complicated...". And while you are busy saying that, you realize that you just lost the song form or your creative train of thought.

So how do you let the music come out and use your memory to your advantage?

I thought you'd never ask...

Try this: sit down and breathe deeply 4 or 5 times. Then from that state, play whatever note wants to come out, with no timing, following no harmonic structure. Just do this for 5 minutes. Don't worry if it sounds terrible. In fact, your goal should be sounding bad... as bad as you can... just let go of any judgment and let your fingers move as if they were 4 little mice on the guitar neck. And whenever you catch yourself thinking, stop... just stop playing.

Then, as soon the 5 minutes have past, stop, get up and do something else. Do this every time you practice soloing, especially after you have been practicing within specific restrictions. Very soon you'll be able to find this state of mind while you are playing your solos and you'll find that you are capable of playing with more "taste" and creativity than you can possibly think of. Just leave worry and fear of being judged out of your mind. Enjoy your music... have fun.

Good Luck!

What he said!

The best solos are where you can tell the performer is thinking intensely about what he's going to do or the feeling he's looking or planning where to bring it - listens to wes montgomery on imprssions -f**k me - that's a good solo.

In terms of all prupose licks there are some pentatonic/mix licks that work on a lot of blues but they become boring fast.

stevejazzx wrote: »
    What he said!

The best solos are where you can tell the performer is thinking intensely about what he's going to do or the feeling he's looking or planning where to bring it - listens to wes montgomery on imprssions -f**k me - that's a good solo.

In terms of all prupose licks there are some pentatonic/mix licks that work on a lot of blues but they become boring fast.

Hey man,
    Thank you for your feedback.
    Have you ever watched Wes playing? get him on youtube
    and you'll see that, no matter how complicated his solos sound, he looks as if he's having a picnic with his band....

By the way you might be interested in this:

http://www.thezonebook.com (no connection with the author in this link)

PS.
    I understand that you feel very deeply about music. I am the same.
    However, please avoid strong language in this forum. Thanks.

Hey man,
    Thank you for your feedback.
    Have you ever watched Wes playing? get him on youtube
    and you'll see that, no matter how complicated his solos sound, he looks as if he's having a picnic with his band....

By the way you might be interested in this:

http://www.thezonebook.com (no connection with the author in this link)

PS.
    I understand that you feel very deeply about music. I am the same.
    However, please avoid strong language in this forum. Thanks.

Strong language? I asterixed it out..you're not afraid of asterixeseses are you?:)
    Great first post though. I have seen Wes on many occasions (not live!), that solo I mentioned is not on youtube (the live in belguim version is) the version I like best is on -will weep for me- also check out pat martino on sunny -w*w)

Hey thanks man,
    I'll check that recording out!
    BTW, do you play in town?

• Advertisement

Hey thanks man,
    I'll check that recording out!
    BTW, do you play in town?

No anymore unfortunately. Used to play all over - then I had a son!
    nowadys it 's wedding receptions, wne tastings that kind of thing. Looking to put an acoustic jazz/world duo/threeo back together.

I have the feeling that I've met you already...

Advertisement