Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Processors. i5 650vs750

Options
  • 25-02-2010 7:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hey guys,

1st post sorry about that. But I'm buying a new computer and I'm trying to choose the processor. Im not putting it together myself as I dont have the time to gain the knowledge, so a dell it is. It comes down to:

i5 650
    i5 750
    or maybe if I'm convinced i7 860.

Im kinda hoping someone will tell me the i7 isnt worth the extra cash.

It'll be for gaming but not real heavy stuff and I run DAW's too which get intensive sometimes.

Cheers.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Get the 860 and never look back, but if money is a concern the 750 will do you:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 igorkoch

price difference doesn't seem too high in case of the first two you mentioned.

http://www.toprice.ie/processors/intelcoreidualprocessori,104521/ and http://www.toprice.ie/processors/intelcoreiquadprocessori,104333/ - it's 14 euros or so...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

650 is a dual core processor. 750 is a quad core processor. 860 is a quad core processor, but better :pac:

dont touch the 650 for gaming. 750 if you're strained for cash, 860 for maximum powa!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

i5-650 is a bit of a waste and should usually be replaced with "i5-530 + overclocking" :D Both have two physical cores, four virtual ones through HyperThreading, and the newest incarnation of HyperThreading with a much higher compatibility rate even among games (Crysis still hates it but that's no surprise given Crysis hates everything! :P). The only advantage is that the i5-650 is a smidgen faster and has Turbo Mode, which isn't exactly vital when you add OCing to the mix. On the other hand its €60-70 more expensive, which is ridiculous as it drops it into i5-750 territory - a battle it has precious little chance of winning most of the time :o

i5-750 is hugely powerful thanks to the four physical cores and pretty diabolical when OCd to boot. Its easily the best mid-high-end CPU out there if you have the money - very few programs need the extra cores at this point.

i7-860 is utterly badass - the most powerful Turbo Boost implementation, 4 physical cores and HT for 8 virtual ones! :eek: But it seems to use an older HT implementation and doesn't have the compatibility ratio or raw benefit of the younger 32nm CPUs so don't expect any improvement in games - these CPUs are geared toward heavy enterprise and number-crunching usage! With most apps their throughput is mental but they're expensive and the majority of domestic buyers just won't see a performance increase over the i5-750 worth the extra money you're paying.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 mclovin.

Cheers for the reply guys.

In the end I went with the 860, I thought it would be worth the extra cash.:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

mclovin. wrote: »
    Cheers for the reply guys.

In the end I went with the 860, I thought it would be worth the extra cash.:D

You won't be sorry I picked one up on adverts and it's a cracking cpu.

Advertisement