Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apprentice Mechanic Or College??

Options
  • 25-02-2010 7:10pm

Well this is my first post so if i do something wrong u all know why!
    I am 16, in fourth year and doing the leaving cert next year. I am just thinking about what i want to do when i finish school and i really do not know which would be better doing apprentice mechanic with fas or go to college to do mechanical engineering or something along them lines. I was also looking about the esb apprenticeship which looks very tempting!

I know going to college would probably be more advisable now but i don't want to end up as a rep for turtle wax!! I am more interested in doing practical work. I don't want to be working in an office or anything like that.

If anybody has any suggestions on a college course to do it would be great and some opinions on mechanical engineering also like what kind of work you would be doing after it.

I would also like to know what is doing an apprenticeship like for mechanicing or the esb.

Any info will be greatly appreciated thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Hey TwinCam93, i've moved your thread from motors to the Careers and Job discussion. I think this is the right place for this, apologies mods if not.

ok thanks:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭king_of_inismac

My advice is follow the course that interests you most.

I'd prefer to earn 30,000 doing something I love than 60,000 doing something I don't.

But make the choice INFORMED. See what both professions actually entail, rather than what you think they involve!

When I was in 4th year, I though I wanted to be either a guard or an archeologist. I tried them both (on TY work experience) and realized I hated them both equally. Now I lecture in Electronic Engineering :)

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭1867IE

Twincam93 wrote: »
    Well this is my first post so if i do something wrong u all know why!
    I am 16, in fourth year and doing the leaving cert next year. I am just thinking about what i want to do when i finish school and i really do not know which would be better doing apprentice mechanic with fas or go to college to do mechanical engineering or something along them lines. I was also looking about the esb apprenticeship which looks very tempting!

I know going to college would probably be more advisable now but i don't want to end up as a rep for turtle wax!! I am more interested in doing practical work. I don't want to be working in an office or anything like that.

If anybody has any suggestions on a college course to do it would be great and some opinions on mechanical engineering also like what kind of work you would be doing after it.

I would also like to know what is doing an apprenticeship like for mechanicing or the esb.

Any info will be greatly appreciated thanks!

I had to ask myself the same questions five years ago, I went to college and now work with the biggest brand name in the motor trade! Go the college route.

1867IE wrote: »
    I had to ask myself the same questions five years ago, I went to college and now work with the biggest brand name in the motor trade! Go the college route.

thanks for the advice but what kind of work do u do? is it practical? and what college course did u do?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭slickmcvic

was in the same situation as yiirself a few years ago....wanted with to work with cars but couldnt really see myself as a grease monkey for the rest of my days....Got offered a degree in transport technology with D.I.T but had my doubts about it and went into engineering teaching instead.
    ....no regrets though,(specially as 60,000 motor trade jobs were lost last year)......still get to do a bit of work with engines (and computers which i also like!)...overall I'd say college is a better option at this point in time as education leaves your options open for a while and gettin an apprentiship is difficult enough never mind a full time job!
    ..College was some 4 years craic as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭1867IE

Twincam93 wrote: »
    thanks for the advice but what kind of work do u do? is it practical? and what college course did u do?

I did Automotive Engineering and Transport Management in CIT, I do half practical half paper work/admin.

any more info anyone??

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭4davis7

im in school to and i really wanted to do carpentry but when i rang up a few carpenters to see if i could do a week free to see if i like carpentry but he said theres just no work. . so it is true that there is no work so best advice i could give would be college but mechanic apprenticeship is different so i dunno its up to you really.. ring a few and ask can you try it out for a week without pay and see if you like it..if there is work they will accept you!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

College develops you as a person.

I'd also recommend going that route.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 wagon_repair

College develops you as a person.

I'd also recommend going that route.

well you do have to do 40 weeks of college when you do an apprenticeship

20 weeks in fas which is the probably the best thing of all as it's piss easy and you get paid pretty well for it

and two 10 weeks in an I.T. which is great aswel but a little more harder and you get paid even better

so you can still develop doing an apprenticeship

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭johnnyfruitcake

Dont become an electrician, there is way too many around and even still they have the highest amount of new apprentices registered this year, nearly 3 times the amount as any other apprenticeship. Most sparks I know are on the dole or going back to college to do engineering and the only place with some work these days is Oz.

DONT DO IT

Advertisement