Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The English Essay

Options
  • 25-02-2010 8:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭

So I don't really know what anybody elses opinion might be on this, but I find the essay on paper one higher level to be really difficult - we've never really covered the language styles apart from argument, but our teacher did it really badly, other than that I've only ever done a bit of persuasion in transition year...

I just think it's so unfair that it's worth 100marks and studied poetry is only 50, yet we spend so long covering poetry and nothing on the essay

Does anyone know where I can get any good notes on it? They'd be greatly appreciated =]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭BrokenHeels_Ox

i understand what u mean, 100 marks, unreal! In my opinion, its a fluke, depends on whether ur imagination is working on the day. Anyways, less stress more success have some good notes :) covers all the dfferent writing styles etc.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,229 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

To learn about writing styles.....read different writing styles.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

You don't actually have to study the different types of languages. This is only really useful in answering a style question in section A and even then...you'd manage to pick out features of style without having a checklist.

For composition, no essay is just going to be in one style e.g. a speech can be in persuasive and argumentative language. I'd echo Spurious's advice - read, read and read. For example, Martin Luther King's 'I have a dream' is a good example of a persuasive speech - repetition, connection to the audience, description...

Advertisement